Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hedgehog found but not sure he is still alive

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelasi, Jun 22, 2010.

1. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

just walk kia and on our path we found an adult hedgehog . he was in to odd position and I though something is not right . any way brought Kia home and went back to the hedgehog and brought him home . He is in to a sleeping position , eyes shut but dose not seems to move either to breath . I put him in the shade on grass and sprinkle some water on him . But I am not sure if he is still alive. there are no signs of visible injury , neither blood .

now my husband told me he had seen hedgehogs in the past behaving like this ( staying still - and he said he moved them in the shade and by the next day they were gone )
    am not to sure with this little big one what is his condition . anybody has any hedgehog experience ? can u tell me if this is normal in case they stood to much in the sun and they dehydrated ?

should I make a pic and put it up for u guys to see how he/she is ?

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I wouldn't wait for answers tbh hun. Your best bet is to go here British Hedgehog Preservation Society - Hedgehog Carers and phone the one nearest to you for advice. They will hopefully come and collect the hedgehog if it sounds like it needs help.

Just to add that a hedgehog found out in the daytime has something wrong usually, best leave it to the experts :)

3. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

thanks aurelia

right fund somebody and she told me , if a hedgehog is in day time in full sun , that means he is dyeing . When they r very ill , the body temperature gose right down and they put themselves in the sun to warm up. Also if is staying on a side sleeping position and not in the ball they very ill.
    The lady , told me he probably was poisoned . Poison pellets (snails and slugs poison , can kill the hedgehogs ) so ....
    she said to take him to the vets , they probably would put him to sleep free of charge. So She said to me , any VET in UK , when gets a wild animal , bird injured , they do it free of charge .
    right I am off to the vet now.
    thanks again for the link

#3 michaelasi, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You're welcome. The poor thing :( I hope he/she has a peaceful end. Good on you for taking action.

Why people still use slug pellets in this day and age I don't know :(

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Mine and a neighbours cats were poisoned by slug pellets.. They both pulled through....

Lets hope the little fellow pulls through and the vet feels they can help him rather than having him put to sleep...

Let us know hun.. xxx

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh no, poor little hedgepig :(
    I hope he is ok!

I found an injured bird once, a young buzzard he had flown into someones car, his leg was broken and his wing, the whole right side of his body was kinda smashed inwards :( . I took him to the vet so they could give him a painless ending it was so sad :(

7. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I found one in my front garden that was alive but curled up. It had fly strike so it must have been there for a while in the open. Next door use slug pellets so most probably poisoned. I phoned the RSPCA and they were here within the hour :)

8. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

sorry guys , but when I went to pick him up for the vets trip he was gone to the bridge . It was to late for the poor thing .

thank u for your words

9. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Ah thats so sad.. you tried you best to help this little hedgehog.. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice