UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a tiny hedgehog hibernating by my front door, mum sadly has been run over.
im worried as there are flies around this tiny hedgehog. im going to buy a hedgehog house today for it.
is it safe for me to move the hedgehog to under the hedge in the hedgehog house.

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
Firstly I would check to see if it is still alive, flies around it is not a good sign. Depending on the hogs condition and weight you will not be able to leave it outside ad will need extra help and will possibly need to be over wintered.

Please check the little one first and feel free to pm me about the hog and will be happy to help .

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou, hegdehog is alive and ive got a house for it filled with hay to keep it warm, ive no experience with hegdehogs so any advise is greatly welcomed.
ive put cat meat down this evening and its eaten alittle bit, i havent weighed it though so will do this. :)

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
Ok, bring him in and weigh him and post his weight. Check over for obv signs of injury. They have fleas but they are host specific so no concern to other animals. Eyes should be bright and should be inquisitive. If you have trouble un curling him, hold in your hand and stroke to the back of the hog on his spines, a toothbrush is good for this, so you can check his skirt ie when his spikes stop and fur starts.

The weight at this time of year is most important to know...

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, he has many ticks aswell so can i use cat frontline flea spray on him.
eyes are bright but he doesnt curl up which is unusual, no obvious sign of injury from what i can see.
ive placed him in the utility with food, water and his house away from the cats so he doesnt get frightened.
weight is possibly not great 324 grammes.
i will upload a photo tomorrow so you can see him.:)

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
Weight is bad much to small to survive outside, so thank you for bringing him in. Its also worrying that he does not curl. Front line is not good as makes them bit drunk. If you can remove tics with tweezers or you can get a tic remover. For fleas get some johnstone rid mite normally used for budgies, you can get from pets at home.

At that weight he will be in for winter, they are messy and smelly and will need a box with paper and somewhere to hide, I use towels as easy to clean, they poo and wee wherever they want!! I change bedding everyday! Foodwise chicken cat food is great with some chicken based biscuits no fish flavours! Cooked chicken will help for weight gain! plus they love a big bowl of water...a must!

I also worm them with panacur as they normally have worms.

He may scratch to get out and they can climb, hence the box.. I use one of the plastic boxes that goes under the bed and make a bed area and eating/drinking area in the same box.

They take some care to overwinter but so so worth it when you let them go in spring, but he may not make it. Sorry just trying to think of everything useful to tell you so you can be prepared!

if you are happy to do all of this I am more than happy to help, if not I can look for a hog carer in your area, or if near me im happy to take him in.

And lastly thank you for taking him in, without you he would have died for sure...

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thankyou for all this advise.
ive handreared newborn kittens but no experience with hedgehogs so if you feel he would be better in a rescue im happy to do this or im even more happier to help him.
kittens are messy aswell so used to this.
the food and water, box etc i have. will go to pets at home this morning for the flea product. i can remove ticks as i have a tick remover and also have panacur for kittens.
if you are able to help me online i would very much appreciate this and just hope he doesnt die but i do understand low weight animals anything can go wrong.
ive closed the utility door so he can have this, i did hear him last night eating, gosh they are noisy eaters arent they.:)

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
Also you can get dried meal worms, I get them from home bargains as cheapest! Hogs love them and they are high in fat! Plus cat biscuits are also good for weight gain.

How is his poo, can you take a photo of his poo.....i know disgusting but its a good indicator of health

I'm so happy you will help this little one....oh later I can tell you how to sex the hog :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive done the flea treatment and got the meal worms, they look disgusting.
he hasnt been for a pooh yet but the urine is quite a dark yellow colour, is that normal.
ive put the water down and as usual he is asleep at the moment although its dark in the utility so i hope he will wake up soon.
tried to get a photo but hes buried in the hay, will do later.
i found shredded pet bedding more like paper, is this better than the hay as the hay was alittle dusty so i changed this.:)

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
do you think he will be warm enough with the shredded paper.
photo for you to see him, well not that good a photo but hes asleep.
Oh bless him. Yes he should be warm enough, he is in the house so so much warmer than being outside. As for poo, he may well do it in his bed, so you may end up having to change his bedding very often, that's why I use old towels and tea towels so they can snuggle up and easier to wash them once they are full of poo!! If the poo is bit runny at first it maybe because he has been bought in so I would monitor that. If green (like cats) or mucus, it will mean worms. Given him a few days to settle then give the panacur as to his weight.

Some good info here British Hedgehog Preservation Society.

You will need to weight him every day for a week to see if he is putting on weight and keep a chart of this. The meal worms will help and yes they stink! Oh and yes they are very noisy eaters but its a sound I love hearing!!

Good about getting rid of the fleas, makes me laugh when I do it as you see a mass exit of the fleas all trying to escape!

I can't find the picture i had to show you how to tell if boy or girl but British Hedgehog Preservation Society scroll down and gives you an idea!!

Oh and they can get ringworm, which can pass, although I have never got and do not wear gloves to handle them.

And lastly........http://www.petforums.co.uk/wildlife-chat/238104-some-photos.html. Some pictures of ones I've helped...

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thankyou so much for your help, i have no knowledge of hedgehogs at all but its nice to learn how to care for them.

so i will panacur monday, do they bite lol. i expect this will be fun trying to worm a hedgehog gosh kittens is hard enough.
must admit i did worry last night when i heard him eat, i thought he was dying and ran into the room but he was happy eating, im so silly.
the bedding i have brought lots of so will change this every day, stupid question but if they are indoors will he still hibernate?

thankyou for the link, will enjoy reading and the photos of the hedgehogs you have helped is wonderful to see, well done.:)

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
You are doing an amazing thing! They are on the decline so any we can help is brilliant. Feel free to ask me anything at all.

As for worming its same as with cats. Some will eat it in food, try nice bit of warm chicken mashed up with the wormer or in some cat food again mixed up. Some will not eat it and you will have to syringe direct, not so easy better with 2 people, wait til uncurls, hold hog with hand under on his tummy spreading out your fingers to under his neck so he can't curl back up so easily. Put the syringe in side of mouth and push!!! Try food way, you maybe lucky!!

As for biting i have only been bitten once and i have handled a few, they don't really have sharp teeth so did not hurt!!

once he is bigger he may sleep he may not, if be gets really big you can house him in a shed, i have a rabbit hutch for them. But you have to keep feeding them. It does them NO harm not to hibernate.

Oh and have you chosen a name as yet :D:D:D:-D

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I miss our old hedgehogs!

So jealous of you looking after this young one, maybe i'll see him/her soon ;)

So so nice too see your taking care of this little one, even though you got kittens on the way, fingers crossed it survives, i did read somewhere that hedgehogs prefer was it meaty food to fishy food? Or the other way round.

And the way they eat with the snuffling, too cute! I used to stay awake and listen to them snuffling XD haha

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
I miss our old hedgehogs!

So jealous of you looking after this young one, maybe i'll see him/her soon ;)

So so nice too see your taking care of this little one, even though you got kittens on the way, fingers crossed it survives, i did read somewhere that hedgehogs prefer was it meaty food to fishy food? Or the other way round.

And the way they eat with the snuffling, too cute! I used to stay awake and listen to them snuffling XD haha
Defiantly NO fish!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hes not having fish, i have got him meal worms and a bag of hedgehog mix.
all the fleas have fallen off him now and are dead, ticks are also gone and i made sure they still had the heads attached.
i dont know why so many are killed on the road, it only takes 2 minutes to pick them up and move to a safe place.
oh yes and i have more hedgehogs, not sure how many but i have a large pampus grass in the back garden and i can hear snuffling so ive put some food out for them aswell.
hopefully i will get to see them with my torch tonight.

yes i have lots going on at the moment....rescue hedgehog, hand rearing a kittens which refuses to eat, cat due any day and a kitten with an injured eye. never mind keeps me out of trouble.:)

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
hes not having fish, i have got him meal worms and a bag of hedgehog mix.
all the fleas have fallen off him now and are dead, ticks are also gone and i made sure they still had the heads attached.
i dont know why so many are killed on the road, it only takes 2 minutes to pick them up and move to a safe place.
oh yes and i have more hedgehogs, not sure how many but i have a large pampus grass in the back garden and i can hear snuffling so ive put some food out for them aswell.
hopefully i will get to see them with my torch tonight.

yes i have lots going on at the moment....rescue hedgehog, hand rearing a kittens which refuses to eat, cat due any day and a kitten with an injured eye. never mind keeps me out of trouble.:)
Wow lots going on and maybe even more spikey babies too!! Depending on the weights and if you can continue to put food out, you don't have to over winter all you see this time of year.

Last year I had late bunch under the shed, mum was still about til mid October. I marked them with nail varnish and fed them and weighed every other night. As it was mild I left them out and last weighing a were all above the weight they could survive the winter.

This year, they came back and still had their nail varnish patterns ..:D:D

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i will leave the others alone, it was only this one as he was asleep on the flowerbed in the front garden away from any others, i did leave him alone for 3 days but he never moved so thought i had better do something for him.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
a name, well ok must admit ive named him harry...or harriette if a girl, i know but they have to be named dont they.
i find myself sitting in the utility with a cup of coffee talking to the hedgehog, now i have officially gone loopy. dont worry hes still asleep like most things i talk to lol.;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.