Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heavy girl!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Noxycake, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Noxycake

Noxycake PetForums Newbie

This is Nox, my one and only baby at the moment. She's German shepherd and shar pei cross.

She's quite big already and only 13 weeks old at 9.5kg! Apparently she will be bigger than a Labrador but I don't know, she could be German shepherd size like her father. Mixed breeds are so fun to guess size with!

She's already 17inches tall from shoulder! Her personality is a definite mix from both parents. Stubborn, obedient, loyal, independent, aloof with strangers, highly intelligent.

I love her!! Hoping she does get big just because I get anxious going outside so it would help having an intimidating looking dog at my side that deters certain people.
    She's growing so fast. At 12 weeks old she was 6.5kg. Then 4 days later she was 8.5kg and now at 13 weeeks she's 9.5kg.

What would you guess her size height wise and weight wise would be at adult?

Attached Files:

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Wow what a cross! Was it a deliberate mating?

Please be careful hoping your dog will be intimidating. Dogs pick up a lot of subtle cues from us, and both these breeds have enough protective/guarding instincts that her thinking you want her to be intimidating could end very badly for her and for you.

3. Noxycake

Hi. I was just talking about the look of her nothing else. I know about the cues as I've owned a working German shepherd before. I was just curious about her size and people's opinions.

Yes she was a deliberate mating. Much healthier than the shar pei on its own. She's got the wrinkles but at a lesser level.

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

She's very Shar Pei looking, I wouldn't think she was half GSD to be honest.

I can't imagine she'll be big either as Shar Peis are half the size of most GSD's. My GSD bitch was roughly 13kgs at 13 weeks and she's around 28kgs now at almost 18 months.

Noxycake likes this.
  5. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

....someone deliberately mated a shar pei bitch with a GSD male?:confused:

Hanwombat and ouesi like this.
  6. Noxycake

Her mother is on the large side, Labrador size.

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm not sure why you think mixing breeds makes for a healthier dog?
    That's not how genetics work. The way you get healthier dogs is by starting with a healthy dog to begin with. One that has been tested for genetic conditions and shown to be clear of them.

Like @shadowmare I'm saddened to learn this was a deliberate mating. I'm sure your bitch is a lovely dog who you adore, but mixing two vastly different breeds like this who were bred for such different purposes and with such different temperaments is bound to create a dog with lots of conflicting drives.

I think the last thing I would be worrying about with this dog is how big she is going to get :(

8. Noxycake

Hi. Cool thanks.

I just joined the forum here just to get an opinion of size for fun. That's all. :)

Should have just known there are elitists here since I've spotted them on every single thread I've looked at.

She's my world. Oh and her parents were tested.

#8 Noxycake, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

LOL I'm no elitist, proud owner of a muttdog myself who is an awesome dog. Also proud owner of a poorly bred dane girl we got as a rescue, also wonderful dog.

We love dogs here on PF :)

Part of loving dogs though, includes being concerned with their welfare, and deliberately breeding this cross is not in the interest of the ensuing puppies.

I hope you stick around and maybe learn a thing or two, maybe come to change your mind about a thing or two and spread that new knowledge.
    And if you ever need help with your bitch, there are many knowledgeable members in all sorts of areas who are always willing to share their knowledge and offer support.

10. Noxycake

Then stop attacking me when I do care about my pups health when this thread is about the pups size.
    Ps. I am not the breeder.

11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

She'll probably be medium sized. I wouldn't imagine she will be heavier than 25kgs or so.

Noxycake likes this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm sorry you feel attacked. My posts were not attacks in any way.
    This is a forum read by many people, some members, some not. Google searches often lead to forum threads like this one. Because of this, I feel it's important to make sure to present accurate and realistic information, which is all I'm doing.

StormyThai, Noxycake and Hanwombat like this.
  13. Noxycake

Her mother was 27kg and her father was 30kg. She's an interesting mix for sure! I love her to bits!! Yeah I was thinking 30kg perhaps and on the taller side since she's got the German shepherd side. Chunky and tall heh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice