Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heatwave and terrapin pond?

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by Ruby and Onyx, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Ruby and Onyx

Ruby and Onyx PetForums Newbie

Hello! My first post so excuse if this is a daft question! Is it a good idea to add a solar powered fountain or oxygenator to an outdoor pond that has been home to an aged red eared terrapin for a couple of years? There are goldfish, tench and lots of plants. A basking deck and stroll area. All within wired frame. But with the recent 34 degs heat I noticed the fish gulping air. Im worried the addition of a small (but maybe noisy? Ive no experience of them) pump will disturb the terrapin who is pretty happy... or will it improve the conditions for her too? Any suggestions welcomed! T.I.A.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t know about Terrapins but I have a pond with goldfish in and have a pump to filter the water that then feeds a cascade which creates some oxygen, I believe.

This intense heat does, apparently, reduce oxygen levels in water.

I’ve recently bought a cheap floating solar fountain and the fish and frogs seem to love being in the spray. Maybe that would be worth trying as the Terrapin could avoid it if it chooses, and it’s quiet.

3. Ruby and Onyx

Ruby and Onyx PetForums Newbie

Oh thats good to know, yes l have one of those little floating spray fountains l can try. If she seems happy with that l will look into an oxygenator waterfall :) thank you

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice