UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Heater for an 8 gallon tank

742 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  NaomiM 
#1 ·
I am going to be getting my first Betta fish soon and I have almost all of the equipment. The main thing that I still have to get is the heater. However, I am struggling to find the correct heater due to my size tank, so I have some questions about them.

Firstly, you need to know that I have an 8 gallon tank. I know it's a weird and unusual size tank and that's why I'm struggling to find a heater with the correct wattage for the tank.

My questions are:
1) Which type of heater is best?
2) How many watts will the heater need to be to heat up the tank?
3)Are there any brands of heaters you recommend?

#2 ·
Hiya,

The general rule of thumb for heaters is one watt per litre, rounded up, i.e. a 25W heater for under 25L, a 50W heater for 25-50L, etc. Eight gallons is thirty-something litres, right? So a 50W heater should do nicely :)

I'm not sure on which brands are best, but one important consideration with bettas is that they have a tendency to wrap themselves around heaters and can end up burning their delicate fins, so you need a heater guard. Some heaters come with guards, otherwise you will need to purchase a compatible heater guard.

Hope that helps, and please keep us updated on your preparations :) Will you be doing a fishless cycle with ammonia before getting your betta?

#5 ·
Sorry to hear that. If the cost of the tank is an issue, I'd recommend looking for a second-hand one on ebay, gumtree etc - you can get some good bargains. Both my tanks were second hand :) Unfortunately 2.5 gallons (just over 10 litres?) will not be enough for a betta or any fish. It may survive but its quality of life will not be good, and in such a small volume of water the water chemistry can swing quite suddenly, leading to all sorts of problems. The minimum size generally recommended for a betta is around 25L.

#6 ·
Thank you for that advice. I will now be getting a 25 litre tank instead of the 8 gallon one because I have found one which I can afford. Will this size be okay? I know it's the minimum size but does that mean it will be able to have a high quality of life in it? Or is it still too small?

Also, if this is an okay size then would it require a 25 watt heater or a 50 watt?

#7 ·
Great! Yes, 25L should be fine :) Just make sure you do regular water tests to minimise the risk of any swings/spikes. I'd recommend testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and maybe pH at every water change.

Re the heater, I'd have thought either a 25W or a 50W should be fine, but my personal inclination would be to go for a 25W if you can get hold of one, as there's less chance of accidentally overheating the tank if anything should go wrong with the thermostat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.