Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heartbroken

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by VickyA79, Mar 29, 2020.

1. VickyA79

VickyA79 PetForums Newbie

Today I had my 20 year old cat, Archie, put to sleep. I decided to have him euthanised at home and I feel a bit traumatised by it.

Archie was given a sedative which put him in a deep sleep. Then he was injected with the other stuff. 5 minutes later his heart rate was still the same. I asked the vet if that was normal. He said yes and that his heart rate was dropping. I could see it wasn't. After another minute or two he asked me if I could get a blanket to wrap Archie in. I ran upstairs to get one and when I got back Archie had died. I then helped wrap Archie and put him in the body bag. Holding his limp body was so upsetting. When the vet left I realised he didn't use the blanket I was sent upstairs to get. I've worked out that he sent me away as he had to do something else to get Archie to die. It's making me so upset thinking he ended up dying in pain.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

After the sedative I can assure you he knew nothing else. As he went to sleep from the first injection all he knew was your love. I'm so sorry for your loss. 20 years is a testament to all the loving care he received from you. xx

You will be in shock now, so be gentle with yourself. Are you alone?

3. VickyA79

VickyA79 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply. It has brought me a lot of comfort. I have my husband and two small children. I didn't want my husband to think Archie suffered so I haven't told him what happened xx

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss, thinking of you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice