Heartbroken

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by delerith, Jan 20, 2018.

1. delerith

delerith PetForums Newbie

My cat Hannah just passed away on Tuesday. She had been unwell for about 6 weeks. She was anorexic and had anemia. We had noticed she was not eating and was lethargic. We took her to the vets and they did various blood tests and found that she was anemic. They believed she was FIV +. She was given prednisone 1 twice a day. Went back to vets a few days later and her blood count was up by 3 from 15 to 18. They increased the dose to 1 and half tablets twice a day. She improved and was now running to eat and drink and put on weight. She returned to vets a week after the increase and her blood count was a low normal. Reduced the steriod back down to 1 twice a day and we were to keep a close eye on her and take her back if any deteriation and had appointment for 2 weeks later. She was doing really well. Then a few days before she was to go back and see vets she became very ill. Hind legs splayed out, walking like she was drunk and jowling in pain. Immediately took her to vets. During the examination they said they had not seen this before. She had a very low heartbeat and no reaction when light was shone in her eyes - pupils were dilated. The vets consulted and said they were giving her a stong painkiller which had a morphine base in it and that we were to monitor her overnight. (11.30pm at the vets). We were to take her back at 9am the next morning. Hannah passed away at 2.30am just 3 hours later. She was at peace and gave 2 little shudders, straightened out and then was gone. I have been heartbroken since, thinking could I have done something else, could the vets have done more or was it just her time to go. Hannah was a rescue cat and was the sweetest most loving cat I have ever had. I have had two other cats who lived to they were 21 and 15 year old. Hannah was roughly about 7 years old the sspca thought she was between 1 and 2 when we adopted her. She was never ill before this period. I was just wondering if anybody else has seen the symptoms that Hannah had and if so maybe I can find out what was wrong with her at the end. Miss my little furbaby so much. Know this pain will ease in time as I have been through this twice before even though this time seems the worst perhaps because she was such a young cat.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sad - so sorry for your loss :(

3. delerith

Thank you.

4. SpencerK

SpencerK PetForums Member

I'm so so sorry for your loss - I will think of Hannah.

delerith likes this.
  5. delerith

Thank you.

6. Snow white

Snow white PetForums Junior

So sorry xx

7. delerith

Thank you.