Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heartbroken

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jayne31, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

I'm heartbroken to have to say that Oscar had to be put to sleep this afternoon. After his trip to the vets this morning we came home and he seemed to rally a bit.

I popped out and when I came back he collapsed and had a fit. The vet could run a barrage of tests, but he was very weak on his legs and just not the usual cheeky little chappy the he used to be.

We had been together since he was 10 weeks old, and he made it to the grand age of 18 years and 8 months, with no vets to speak of until last April. He's been there through some of the most painful moments of my life, never judging, just cheering me up with a pat on the face.

I feel like my heart has been shattered into a million pieces.

Sleep gently my little friend, you will always been in my heart xxx

2. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Oscar, I know you'll be going through a world full of pain at the moment but try to remember what a fabulous life he has led with you. 18 is a great age, especially with no medical intervention for so long. Thinking of you x

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

On noooo! Jayne, I'm so very sorry to hear about Osca. How awful for you. I can well understand how devastated you must feel since he's exactly the same age as my oldest I've had since kittenhood. Again I'm truly sorry.

Take care.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

So very very sorry to hear this about Oscar. I was so hoping that he would get over his little "turn". Run free to the bridge little man.

5. Scarlett20

Scarlett20 PetForums Senior

Goodness me - poor you :sad:

It is so very very sad about Oscar. I am so so sorry.

He was such a good age wasn't he?

Run free at the bridge Oscar

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

My heart goes out to you.

R I P Oscar.xxxxxxx

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So very sorry to read this sad news.Run free at the bridge Oscar

8. Iheartcats

Iheartcats PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. 18 is a great age but it still seems they are never with us long enough. Run free at the bridge Oscar xxx

9. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Oh no......
    Poor Oscar.

This is so unexpected, you must be absolutely devastated.....
    Such an incredible loss......

Run free at the bridge, beautiful boy!!!!

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh Jayne, my heart is breaking for you. What a sad day it has turned out to be. I will admit I was worried when I read your earlier post about the low body temp but I really did not think this would happen.
    Nothing any of us can say will make the pain any less, although I did draw some comfort from knowing that there were other people who could understand the depth of my pain when I lost Nellie and Paddy last year. He really was SUCH a special boy, not only to you but also to all of us who got the chance to read about him on this forum.
    RIP Oscar.

11. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Jayne I'm so very sorry :(

Words are never enough to express the sadness :(

RIP Oscar, you will be missed so much xx

12. Mici

Mici PetForums Member

RIP little man :(
    So sorry...

13. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Jayne, I am so sorry for your sudden loss. I know Oscar would have ment the world to you and it is like loosing your baby. Remember all the good times you shared with him as there must be lots over the 18 years you had Oscar.

Rest in peace Oscar

14. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.

No matter how long a life they have had, you are never ready to be parted.

RIP Oscar x

15. rose

rose PetForums VIP

So sorry for you, the loss of a much loved pet is so hard. He was a very lucky puss to have 18 healthy happy years and a dignified end. RIP Oscar.

16. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Rest in peace Oscar you grand ol' boy. He's definitely lived his life to fullest and was blessed to have a devoted owner such as you Jayne :) xxx

17. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

18... Well done Oscar!

It never gets easier saying goodbye to an old friend, and you'll always have a place for him in your heart, but you will eventually start to laugh about all his exploits. Conversations will tend to start with 'remember when'

Don't worry about him now. He's having a whale of a time over the bridge. And you'll all meet again one day...........

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Ian F.

18. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Oscar and my heart goes out to you :(
    RIP beloved boy :(

19. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Jayne I am so sorry for your loss of Oscar. It is heart breaking when they go.
    This time last week i had my nearly 18 year old put to sleep and the day before my 3 year old British cream boy had to be put to sleep.
    I really feel for you right now and wish I could take the Heart ache away for you.
    It does help to talk so the forum is a nice place to keep intouch.

R.I.P Oscar and if you see 2 British Creams Grandma and Grandson at Rainbow Bridge they will be glad to look after you xx

20. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't realize he was such a grand old man of advanced age. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have a friend for so long and lose them so suddenly, but you did have a good long run together and I'm sure Oscar always had the best of everything, including lots and lots of love.

Now he's at the bridge and can play like a carefree kitten once more.
    RIP Oscar

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice