Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heartbreaking decision - I need advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KittyKat1, Jun 26, 2010.

1. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

Hi all,
    I need non-judgemental advice if possible.

I volunteered at my local animal shelter where I took in 3 sick cats over the course of 5 months and nursed them back to health. They're all doing fantastic now and I love them to bits.

Now here's my problem.
    My relationship of 5 years has broken down, I've lost my job last month and I'm am not going to have to move into an aquantances house for the rest of the summer until I find a job.

I've found a home for one of the cats and he'll be moving next week - its with a friend so I know he'll have a good home and life.
    I need to find homes for the other two little guys where I know they'll be loved, cared for and safe. Or I couldn't live with myself.

I've been going mad trying to find a place that will accept animals that I can rent (I considered a delapadated studio but thats not fair on the animals). I don't have a friend I can move in with and rehoming them is the only option. I'm heartbroken but I don't know what to do.
    I hate how stupid human complicated lives can mess everything up.

I really need honest advice - I never thought I would be alone, broke and with no home (I have to leave my apartment in 20 days).
    do you think I will find homes for the cats that I can be sure are safe or should I contact a person I kinda-know that works at the shelter and explain my situation? Possibly handing them over to the sanctuary where they may find good homes.

I don't know what to do and my ex doesn't care.
    Please help

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Did you sign a contract when taking on the cats? If so, its usually the case that you have to return them to the centre should you no longer be able to keep them. I'd check the fine print.

Sorry you are in this situation :(

3. Nina&Andrea'sMom

Nina&Andrea'sMom PetForums Junior

I can only imagine the pain you must be going through :(. You obviously have a huge heart to have taken in 3 sick cats and nursed them back to health. Sometimes life just plain sucks. Have you found a place to live yet? Perhaps you could continue to look for good homes for your other 2 cats, and at the same time ask your contact at the shelter for advice? Since you have volunteered there before, I'm sure they will understand. You're not an irresponsible pet owner; it's just that your circumstances have suddenly changed and you are no longer able to provide for yourself or your cats. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll pull through this rough patch. Best of luck to you and your 3 kitties, and do keep us posted on your progress :eek:.

4. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I am sorry you are in this situation. Personally I would have taken the dilapidated studio, but if you can't do this, I agree, contact the shelter.

Liz

5. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

im sorry it come to that for you you may find them homes i hope you can it must be hard :(

6. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Sorry it has come to this. I agree with what others have said; usually shelters state that if you can no longer look after the cats they should be returned to them. Hope you can sort something out.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Would the shelter they came from not be able to help you out by boarding them short term until you have found somewhere ,you could always pay towards their board once you are more financially secure.After all it is in the cats best interest that they stay where they are loved.

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would have as well!

What about your dog?

9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw that sucks mate, why not just get a rental as if ya dont have them and sneak them in later ;) then play dumb if ya caught out. :) Or if you can afford it board them, though that is expensive. I really hope you find a solution mate it would break my heart to part with mine so I feel for you xx

10. Lamorna

Lamorna PetForums Junior

If I was you, here is what I would do:

Take the delapidated studio - you may have no relationship, job or nice house, but you will have your independance, your loyal, dependable cats and a sense that you have done the right thing.

Onc you are in, and have your cats with you, you can then start making plans for how you are going to save up for your own place, or alternatively, it buys you time to search for a more suitable place to rent that allows cats

Good luck :)

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Oh just read the studio bit, I think that would be a good idea even temporarily the animals will be happy anywhere as long as they have you and are looked after. If that offer is still open I reckon take it and do it up with TLC.

12. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

I kinda have good news, I posted an ad for the two cats who needed a new home and got a call from a woman an hour later.
    Her last cat died of old age some time ago and she lost her husband just 2 weeks ago. She wanted to take in a cat/cats again for company.
    She also was going to keep them indoors (which is good because my cats were never out) and she agreed to adopt both of them.

I dropped them off two hours ago. The woman is a dote and I think I've made a good decision - they'll be safe and well cared for - more than I can give them at the moment...

Thank you everyone for all the replies, my heart is utterly breaking but I think I've made the right decision. They're together - they're safe - and they'll have a carer who loves them hopefully as much as I do.

13. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

such a shame you had to do this but it could happen to anyone.

glad you found them all nice homes

14. Nina&Andrea'sMom

Nina&Andrea'sMom PetForums Junior

So glad to hear that your cats have found a new home. Have you found a place to live yet? Good luck :thumbup:

15. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear you had to part with them but at least you made sure they are happy,together and will be loved:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice