Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Heartbreaking death of a local dog due to fireworks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tillystar, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

So sad, rest in peace Queenie :(

I don't understand how a dog becomes so panicky that putting it down is the only answer, seems like something else could have been done. Very sad though and must be heartbreaking for the owners.

It's about time fireworks were for events only, with how much damage they can do its crazy people are allowed to just set them off anywhere.

Calvine likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Very sad.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I used to have a PRT who was so afraid of fireworks, she collapsed twice and wound up in the Vet's on a drip.

She used to actually go into shock.

My Vet decided the best thing for her was sedation during the worst of the fireworks and, at least, she was out of it at that time.

I find it difficult to comprehend anyone having their dog put to sleep. There are alternatives.

Katalyst likes this.
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Poor Queenie :(

Obviously fireworks happen multiple times a year, and I'm 100% not a fan, but that seems a very final solution to a temporary problem
    Unless she was in such panic her body shut down and pts was genuinely the only option left or something

6. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

7. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Oh my I didn't know that could happen! Poor girl, must have been dreadful for you to see her like that :(

Rafa likes this.
  8. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Very sad but I cannot see how fireworks could affect her the entire winter, that is just silly. Many years ago I had an extremely noise phobic collie put to sleep after struggling for a long time. His quality of life was so poor, he really could not live in the house as any normal household noise terrified him. So I assume this dog was very noise phobic and the whole thing got too much for her. My daughter was terrified of fireworks as a small child and even more terrified of the low flying aircraft that came over us fairly regularly at that time. She would run screaming into the house as soon as she heard one, as did my neighbour's son. The horses were often startled by them and I got some nasty minor injuries when a frightened horse would jump on me. But we could hardly get them banned.

10. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I'm sure we can all relate to an owner watching their beloved pet becoming traumatised by something beyond their control but to PTS?
    Surely rehoming the dog to a much quieter area off the beaten track would have where fireworks are a rarity should have been a consideration......?

I dunno. It feels like a strange decision to make to me. My heart goes out to the owners for sure but I'm not convinced it was the only option they could have given the poor dog. :(

O2.0, Torin., Calvine and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Reading between the lines I think there was more to this than just fireworks alone. The owner states she was not 'trusted' with their child, she weed/pooed in the house which was not 'desirable' and they did say the option was rehoming or PTS. But if she had underlying behavioral issues perhaps rehoming was not as favourable as they first thought.

I have sympathy of course, but I do think there is more to it.

As for being scared all winter...well, whilst that might not be entirely true, my sister's little dog has developed a fireworks phobia as he's aged and he seems to be worse at my parents house when visiting where the fear began. As soon as it gets dark out he will stare at the back doors and become much more watchful and solemn. We end up shutting the curtains! So I can see how such fears can carry over into everyday life too.

Calvine likes this.
  12. sighthounds

sighthounds PetForums Junior

That is shocking and awful... It's hard to imagine a dog being so psychologically distressed that she needed to be put to sleep, but clearly this is the case. A terrible thought. Rest in peace.

13. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

It isn't silly at all. I live in Sussex where the population is OBSESSED with fireworks, and I don't suppose we are the only county to have to suffer this horrendous noise. The firework season starts in September, and will continue until after New Year. There are 27 Bonfire Societies that I know of in Sussex. Each society will have a very large firework display every weekend, with visiting societies. That is several displays each week. The sound is awful as they all compete to be the biggest and loudest. Also, all of these people who are members of these societies purchase their own fireworks for their birthdays, random weekends, all the Xmas dates, and New year dates. I can totally understand that after several years of this, the dog is traumatised. It would not recover from one firework before the next was set off. The responsible action would be, unfortunately, PTS, not just pass on the issue to somebody else.

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Fireworks are still going off here intermittently . . . happily, my cats are not concerned. I get text messages from friends a few miles away and they still have to put up with them too. I cannot see the obsession with fireworks; money going up in smoke as far as I can see. No doubt there will be more on NYE . . . had them on Thanksgiving too. It's too much.:rolleyes:

15. sighthounds

sighthounds PetForums Junior

That's awful! I had no idea that sort of thing happens. Completely out of order.

Blitz likes this.
  16. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Yes @sighthounds unfortunately it is a real issue here in Sussex. I live 12 miles from Lewes, the biggest bonfire society, and you can hear the 'crump' of the biggest bangs even at that distance. It sounds like I imagine the Somme did.

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, you may live in an area where Bonfire Societies appear to prevail, but that is not usual.

In the OP's link here, it says that the dog became so traumatised after a firework went off in the street where she lives, she could not be consoled and had to be put to sleep.

Hardly the same thing, is it?

Blitz likes this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My daughter lived in that area. All the Lewes bonfire societies had their huge displays on the same day and she did not hear any any other time. Must have changed hugely in the last 3 or 4 years.

Rafa likes this.
  19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

One of mine was like this too: as soon as the clocks were put back he would hide when it was time for his walk, and once he was out, he would almost pull me over to get back home. He was a big dog too, a Bloodhound, so it made life very difficult and walks very unenjoyable.

20. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

The impression I get - as you seem to be, too - is that we are not getting the full story. I had a cat who would invariably have a fit when he had to travel in the car (normally to the vet). We gave him valium to zonk him out and it worked. No way would he have been pts; it was never a consideration.

Katalyst likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice