Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heart murmurs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan Cat, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Ryan Cat

Ryan Cat PetForums Newbie

About an hour ago my 1 year old cat has been diagnosed with a heart murmur.
    It really upset me, and the worst thing about it is, I am now going to struggle with keeping up with it.
    I love my cat so much, and now I am going to face real financial problems paying for all of this, I didn't take insurance out for my cat, and now I don't think insurance will touch him, is it possible to take insurance out and lie saying I don't know anything about it and then take him to a new vets ? i know what I am talking about is fraud but I love my cat and I want him to be healthy but living alone independently is going to kill me I only want the best for him. What do I do about this ? Please help me :(

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Hi Ryan, I really wouldn't lie about his diagnosis. The insurance company will check up on your cat's records if you make a claim, so it won't get you anywhere. At some point, the new vet would listen to your cat's heart. If you end up with a conviction for insurance fraud, it would become difficult for you to buy any kind of insurance product, and this kind of white-collar crime would also look particularly bad on job applications.

You can still get pet insurance. Anything heart-related would be excluded, but it would still cover other illnesses, or accidents.

Has the vet given you any information about your cat's heart murmur? Is it serious enough to need any further investigation? Many cats will have a low-grade heart murmur at the vets, caused by stress, but it will have no health implications for them.

stockwellcat. and lorilu like this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Lots of cats have heart murmurs which doesn't require medication and many live to a ripe old age, my friend's cat has had one the vet thinks since he was born and he's now nearly 20 years old. Young cats sometimes grow out of heart murmurs. As @TallulahCat asks, do you know how serious it is? You can't lie to the insurance company as they will always ask for your cat's history from your vet so you can't keep anything from them. Although any insurance will not cover this now as it will be seen as a pre-existing condition, I would strongly advise you to take out insurance for other things as its inevitable he will require some vet treatment during his lifetime and you would honestly be glad you have insurance back up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice