Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heart murmurs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kittykat, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

My 8 month old British Shorthair was rushed into emergency pet aid hospital early hours Sunday morning as he was gasping for breath, they found fluid on his lungs and chest and he was turning blue.

It was touch and go for a while but he managed to pull through and I took him home yesterday. The vet has told me he has a serious heart murmur and they have put him on 2 pills a day for the rest of his life basically. I am due to go back in a few days or a check up as they dont know if he will take to the medication yet.

I am very very upset about this, he was a healthy kitten and 2 weeks ago he got neutered. At the pre-op check up I asked the vet if he could check his heart as I started to notice him getting out of breath when we played in the house. The vet checked it for all of 4 seconds and told me he was ok.

Since this happened at the weekend I have been told it was probably the anesthetic that triggered the attack. He is an indoor kitty and I blame myself for getting him neutered AND the vet that supposedly checked his heart!

I dont really know much about heart murmurs and the vets where he stayed were not very helpful on the subject, just wondered if anyone had gone through something similar?

2. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

OMG Kitty:(Please don't blame yourself, we all have to trust our vet of choice and why wouldn't you-there but for the grace of god for all of us.I don't know about Bsh's or heart murmurs thank god, maybe speak to a couple of different vets and see if the situation will alter for the better with time as your vet appears to have cocked up on your 1st visit he may be wrong on the rest-maybe get a second opinion from another vet,good luck and again try not to be to hard on yourself(i know it's hard when something goes wrong:)

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hiya and thanks for the reply, I dont know too much about them only that its quite serious with him and he will need meds.

The 1st vet was from the RSPCA can you believe! The ones that took care of him in the emergency was the PDSA. I have taken all my pets to the RSPCA for treatment and thought I could trust them completely so I am still in shock (and quite angry at times) that they didnt spot it.

I am however taking him to a local vet this morning for a check up and to make sure all the fluid is gone and his heart is beating regulary. I only wish I knew someone around here that could recommend a good vet, I really dont have the money but I want to do all I can for him and get the best help I can. Unfortunately its all trial and error :(

Thanks for your words of support its much appreciated.

4. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Hi kittyKat:)have you asked the pdsa if they can recommend a good and trusted local vet who isn't quite so expensive?Also have you looked into Homeopathic remedies they are considerably cheaper and more often than not do just as well if not better than man-made meds,providing you go get in touch with a tried and much tested professional.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice