Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heart Murmur

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Carrie333, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Carrie333

Carrie333 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I collected my little Daphne On 25th September, during her second injections, the vet discovered she has a heart murmur, grade 5, I’m obviously devastated and in bits, they’ve told me she needs a scan costing £600 to find out what is wrong with her heart and may need an op afterwards, I contacted seller, they weren’t aware of the murmur, I contacted their vet too it wasn’t picked up, I’m not going to blame the seller as that’s not fair, I am concerned as I’ve had so much advice including, leave it alone she will grow out of it, to she needs this scan and most likely an operation ‍♀️

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF.

I'm sorry you and your puppy are in this awful position.
    Hopefully your breeder gave you a 6 week insurance package when you picked your puppy up that you can continue with.

3. Carrie333

The owner didn’t do the 4/6 week insurance x

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

That's a shame, I thought a good breeder would automatically do that.

Lurcherlad and DaisyBluebell like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never had insurance with a pup. In fact these two dogs are the only ones I have ever insured and I have not carried on with it as they have got older.

OP, I think it might be worth having a scan. Pups often grow out of mild murmurs but a grade 5 is serious and may well mean surgery or life long medication. I take it the breeder did not get the pups checked by the vet before selling them. Heart murmurs are often picked up at that age and disappear without causing a problem but not one as severe as your poor pup has. I am sure you love her very much and would not consider giving her back to the breeder but you would be within your rights. You would also be within your rights to ask the breeder to help out with the initial vet bills - even if only to the extent of giving your back the purchase price. Discuss with your vet whether such a severe murmur could have been missed at a 7 or 8 week check.

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

When I took Emma for her second injections our vet diagnosed a heart murmur, which like you, scared the life out of me. I can not remember what scale it was, but he did assure me that most pups present with a murmur at that age. I already knew that is the same had happened to my sisters pup. Both our pups grew out of it as predicated.
    I take it you have done nothing since the initial diagnosis whenever that was? I personally would ask for a second opinion as to the grade before I had the scan possibly at a different vets just so they don't know the grade you have already been told and see what they say. Only then will you know what may or may not be involved.
    I am amazed that the breeders vets did not pick up on anything to be honest.
    If it is a heart problem then it may not even involve an operation. A cavi I had came with an untreated heart condition when I got him a 6 years old. It was detected when I took him to my vets and he was put on meds for life. He passed away at 12 having chased next doors cat, walked back in the house and dropped dead - what a wonderful way for a dog to go (apologies to cat owners).

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Carrie333

Thank you all for your messages, I’ve had a second opinion now and it’s a grade 5 she is having a scan next Friday they think it’s one of he valves haven’t closed and surgery costs well I’m sure all you dog lovers know the cost, but I’m staying positive and going to give her the best life possible,?I will let you know her results next week. Carrie

8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Sorry to hear this but take heart in the fact that they obviously feel the OP is worth doing which is a good sign. Please do let us know how you get on. I do agree with Blitz about informing the breeder of the situation & reminding them you are entitled to hand the pup back for a refund (i know you don't actually want to) a good breeder will know that is your entitlement, and ask for either your initial costs back or help towards what is going to be a very costly operation.Some pictures of Daphne would be nice if your able.

9. Carrie333

Hi

Daphne has her scan today and she sadly has PDA I’ve contacted the seller who is actually as devastated as I am and has gone back to her vet, as she wasn’t offered the 4/6 week free puppy insurance and is concerned that no murmur was picked up at her health check, she needs an op now but as you all most likely know it cost thousands, I’m going to look after my beautiful little Daphne, with lots of love and hopefully will be able to save to have the op done before she is 1 ❤️ I will keep you updated on her progress.

Carrie

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice