Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

heart murmur, ragdoll

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lillylove, Jun 3, 2010.

1. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

I was just told today at the vets that my ragdoll has a heart murmur :(
    He is 9 years old and lives with my mother (because he really found my children very stressful - he was already an adult cat when they came along, when the youngest child got mobile she wouldn't leave him alone, and my mum's cat had died previously so she suggested that she care for him) I really miss him, and now I feel really sad and a bit worried.

Vet said he needs a heart scan which costs £150. I can pay some towards it, I do try to help my mum out as he was mine, but she has gone to bits. She adores him and is all crying and upset. She says she doesn't have the money for the scan right now, and that his medication will cost a lot of money.

Its difficult for me. It doesn't just come down to money, but I am a single mum and have a kitten. Also as he doesn't live with me, its difficult for me to answer the vets questions about his behaviour. Mum doesn't drive so I end up taking him to the vets, and with cats, kids and mum in the car its really stressful. The cat hates going to the vets and wails his head off.

Basically I had done a quick search about heart murmurs, do you think its vital that he has the scan, can they medicate without? The vet said we didn't have to have the scan done which is the confusing part. I didn't question her further at that point as she told me to go away and think about it. I'm not sure what it is that I am thinking about....? :confused1:

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no! Don't worry just yet!

Did the vet say how bad the heart murmur is? There is a certain scale they use? Did they mention the fact that some heart murmurs appear when the cat is stressed? Did they discuss treatment options?

Salmon oil contains a lot of omega 3 fatty acids that strengthen the immune system, give a fabulous coat but most importantly it has been found to be beneficial for cats with a heart condition. (Look out for salmon oils that have dha/epa). Omega-3 essential fatty acids have significant beneficial effects on the heart. They lower blood pressure, decrease growth of atherosclerotic plaques, inhibit platelet function, and reduce the susceptibility of the myocardium to fatal arrhythmias. EFA’s are also powerful anti-inflammatory agents.

Because it goes rancid really quickly, I get the capsules and drizzle the contents on their food a couple of times a week.

#2 hobbs2004, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

It is upsetting when you are told that your cat has a heart murmur.
    When the vet told me Harley has one he told me not to worry we will just keep an eye on it.
    He told me to look out for any coughing and if that should happen then there are different sorts of medication.
    He never mentioned a scan.
    Our vet is the one man band traditional vet.
    I think that some vets that are in a large practice can always be thinking how much money they can make.
    Has he had any symptons of chest problems?
    you could always go to a different vet for a second opinion.
    Harley has not had any problems in fact he jumps over 6 foot fences and can escape through cat flaps that have large bags of cat litter up against them.
    He loves being out no matter how i try to keep him in at night.
    He still has not returned after one week and i am in bits, while he's out there hunting.

4. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

my moggie Ginger has a grade 4 heart murmur, which is quite severe. He was a stray so we are not sure how old he is but is about 12. We don't medicate him as he is so difficult to give tablets to and gets very stressed about it. The murmur in no way affects him and he climbs 6 ft high fences throws himself at the aviary. I can't remember though whether we had him scanned or not though. Try not to worry about it too much.

Hobbs where do you get the salmon oil from? I've not heard that before?

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

6. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

#6 HollyM, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

You must have been posting at the same time as me!

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

GMTA (Great minds think alike). The one I stock up on when I visit folks in Germany is Anibio, which has got a high concentration of OMEGA-3 (18% EPA, 12%DHA).

It would really help if they started labelling the EPA and DHA (and some other one I have forgotten now :eek:) on the pet food ones.

9. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Are there any signs to look out for if a cat has a heart murmur, or is it just something the vet picks up on while listening to their breathing?

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

My cat Paddy has a heart murmur....but it comes and goes! I think it can be more apparent when he is unwell or stressed...so that will be every time he visits the vet then! He is 15 years old now and although he has other health issues ( diabetes and HT) it does not seem to be a major problem. My vet has never suggested any scans...maybe because he is just a basic Moggie and also because he is not insured?
    Great advice from Hobbs regarding Salmon oil, it is a great supplement. I know Taurine is also helpful for maintaining haert health but not sure if it has direct impact on something like a murmur. You can buy the supplement cheaply from myprotein.co.uk or feed extra heart meat/prawns.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Giving a little taurine daily will certainly do absolutely no harm - who knows, the heart murmur could be the result of a lack of taurine in the first place.

Hawthorn is apparently also really good for heart problems; not sure where you would get pet friendly dosages from though. :eek:

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

13. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Thanks everyone I will get some of that stuff suggested.

He has been coughing and lethargic, but mum has spoken to the vet on the phone who said it was a very small murmur and to see how he goes over the next couple of months. I think she was offering the scan as an option it just seemed to me that she was sort of saying you need to define what type of murmur it is as to what meds to give.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice