UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what a year my Bella has had! Some of you may remember my post when she was hit by a car. She seems to have largely recovered from this. The only thing she is left with is that she's very snuffly due to the facial damage at the time.

I took her for her yearly jabs a few days back and we've been hit with more bad news! Firstly, some fluid on the chest. They don't think this is so bad and struggle to get a decent guess at how much because she blocked up nasaly she said the sounds can migrate. Secondly, she has a prominent grade 3 systolic heart murmur on both sides. Oh great, the universe wasn't content throwing a car at her, now its messing with her heart too!

Anyway, she was due at the hospital today to have a check up after her operation. They said she's healed fine but wanted to do an ultrasound on her heart. But, at £280, I most definitely cannot afford this!!!! She has been put on furosemide to try and reduce some of the fluid in her throat and chest. I'll type below the two consults she had at the local vets:

very gurgly upper resp sound. prominent grade 3 systolic murmur left and right. laboured breathing but think due to faciasl injuries.nad on abdo palpitation (NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS!)

And second consult:

O PE, can hear systolic murmur, lung sounds slightly increased bilaterally, also very congested in upper airway. covered with convenia for secondary bacterial infection.

I'm really very worried. It just seemed she was getting better and now this has happened! I can't afford the ultrasound so can't check the condition of the heart. She is snuffly, and gets out of breath when she plays a lot of runs up and down the stairs but when at rest sounds perfectly fine. Her gums are a healthy pink, not blue. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing before?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Bibi was diagnosed with a grade 4 (goes to 6) heart murmur a year ago. We had ECG and ultrasound and the vet (who is cardiac trained) couldn't find anything wrong. We went for a follow up in July and the murmur is now 2, so an apparent improvement!!!! ( Only change was food!) The vet will continue checks in Feb and is happy so far.

The vet described it as 'probably a Bibi thing'!!! He was actually not anxious at all! and said that even with the grade 4 HM that things weren't very urgent as she wasn't in any distress, and from your vets notes, he is treating the noisy fluid etc first.

I would see how the frusemide goes and then have a rethink based on that,

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Bibi is quite an anxious cat so the vet recommended a food with Zylkene in (RC Calm). She is now much calmer. I don't think the improvement in HM can be attributed to the food, but she is happier and so am I.

My other vet at the practice had seen Bibi a couple of months before and not noticed the HM. I sometimes think that cats lived for years without these diagnoses, and probably were no worse off! If I hadn't seen the cardiac vet by chance we would be none the wiser

·
Registered
4,203 Posts

I took her for her yearly jabs a few days back and we've been hit with more bad news! Firstly, some fluid on the chest. They don't think this is so bad and struggle to get a decent guess at how much because she blocked up nasaly she said the sounds can migrate. Secondly, she has a prominent grade 3 systolic heart murmur on both sides. Oh great, the universe wasn't content throwing a car at her, now its messing with her heart too!?
So this is the first time a murmur has ever been detected then? How old is Bella? How long ago was the RTA?

I actually wonder if some/all of this is related to/as a result of the nasal congestion-she may even have an infection on her lungs which could explain the fluid etc So I'd wait and see how she responds to the Convenia.

Additionally, if she open-mouth breathes then this would have a direct effect on the heart. If they haven't prescribed anything I would ask for something like Bisolvon which helps to break up the mucus thus relieving congestion. You could also try steam......run the shower for a while and put her in the bathroom for a while!

NAD for the abdo means nothing abnormal detected!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The accident was last Easter Sunday. She breathes through her nose even though shes a bit snuffly lol. She is about 3 years old, first time murmur detected yes. My local vets have never seen her, but the vets who have been seeing her at the hospital have never noted a murmur before. Or at least they never mentioned it to me.

What is in Bisolvon? Anyone used it before successfully? Thank you for your advice!

Oh just to add, she's eating fine. She has put on over 1kg since getting over the accident, tubby little thing! She doesn't play a lot now, and I can tell she breathes deeper when she comes up the stairs to sit on the bed with me.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
So sorry to hear of Bella's problems. Like Ianthi mentioned, I would suspect a possible respiratory infection making her short of breath on exertion. It will be interesting to see what effect the Convenia has on her symptoms.

It is worth noting with Frusemide it not only causes frequency of bladder emptying but can also cause urgency too. So it is a good idea to have extra litter trays around the house, anywhere she usually likes to spend her time, and put some used litter in so she can recognise her own scent. You may need to show her where the trays are.

"NAD on abdo" --- Ianthi has already explained, and "palpated" means *examined by touch*,
i.e. the abdomen was examined by touch (and nothing abnormal detected).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.