Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heart Failure

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by gillnhow, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gillnhow

gillnhow PetForums Newbie

My 5 year old standard poodle has just been diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy,the vet has put him on various meds.He has become very thin and depressed,will not eat and looks like he has given up.
    Has anyone out there got any advice on how to perk him up a bits.
    Also is this disease hereditary as he is a pedigree from a kennel club reg breeder with 13 siblings all possible breeders.
    Thank you

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I had a dog with DCM it horrible and ime so sorry, how long has he had it and what stage is it at, we didnt know monty had it till he collapsed, we knew something was wrong but no diagnosis, monty was given 4 days to live, very rarely is it diagnosed at late stages till the dog had died. What meds is he on frusemide and vetmedin work very well together and do make a huge difference.

Is he able to go out for walks?

3. gillnhow

Charlie has been put on frusemide,vetmedin and fortekor.We caught it by chance as he was losing weight and did not want to go out for a walk.The vet says hes in early stage heart failure and gives him up to 6 months,but only if we can get him to eat.

4. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

That is so sad, and so young :( I think you should def. inform your breeder because this is the sort of thing I am sure they would be keen to know about for the future.

I hope by some miracle you can perk him up a bit. My dog was on fortekor (and frusemide sporadically) from age 12-19 and it worked well for her, I hope your poodle responds as best as can be expected.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Food wise, what have you tried?

Tripe, hotdogs, cheese, cooked chicken are often taken well.

If one of mine is unwell, a tray of Sheba cat food seems to do the trick. I think because its very strong smelling compared to dog food.

6. gillnhow

I have tried most food he seemd to have got the taste for beef so thats what hes on at the moment.I am going to try tuna tonight as he seemed to like my hubbies earlier.He has never really been a big eater and is also very fussy.Just managed to get some dog biccies down him so will keep up with them.

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Oh dear, its strange because montys was very advanced as i said he was only given 4 days if the meds didnt kick in quick, then they were looking at 4 weeks, but he only ever coughed once and he never went of his food, but then he was the greediest dog you would ever meet.:rolleyes: at the start its usually only the left pumping chambers that it effects when monty was diagnosed all four was effected and his heart valves was leaking, so very congested, we had a nightmare time but in your case you never know like monty he might defy the prognosis and do very well, i really do hope so.
    Have they checked his kidneys because due to the low blood pressure because of the very poorly heart his kidneys failed, we though he was losing weight and it wasnt it was muscle wastage due to he kidneys leaking protein he was given injections which really helped him.

If you need anyone to talk to who has been there and back with this disease my inbox is always open. Take care Jan xxxxxxxx

#7 haeveymolly, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  8. gillnhow

Charlies been back to the vet whos says he heart is beating a lot better,so meds doing there job.The only main problem now is feeding him.He will not eat a thing have tried every dog food every meat .The only thing he eats is chicken but as he suffers from colitis it gives him diarrhea.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what to do as he is loosing so much weight i am afraid this will kill him before the cardiomyopathy.
    Thanks.

9. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Have you tried eggs scrambled or raw any smelly fish like sardines ,cottage cheese mixed with salmon and yoghurt plus have you tried him on raw meat also Royal Canin do a liquid diet.
    There is a group on yahoo called DCM in great danes that have some good information

dcmgreatdanes : DCM Great Danes

10. gillnhow

He turns his nose up at eggs,tried tuna no luck.He cant have dairy as it disagrees with his stomach.Will try a tin of sardines 2morrow.He has just had a few spoonfulls of Butchers puppy food but not nearly enough.
    Thanks for the advise.

11. julianne

Have you got a pets at home near you ? If so they do frozen raw dog meat .You could try frying some up for him and see if he eats that.I had a dog with cancer that went through the not eating stage a couple of times and i used to do all the things i'm suggesting for him.I also used to get fresh hearts from morrisons and fry them up for treats and he always used to take them :)

12. gillnhow

I am going to pets at home on sunday to return some dry food he wont eat,will try the raw dog food.Also going to morrison 2morrow was going to try him on liver.
    Thanks

13. julianne

Don't give him to much liver as he will have the runs :) If you can get the heart you can free feed him that as it's good for the heart, as it has taurine in it, and it is classed as muscle meat so no runs :)

14. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

Right here goes, I've just read your thread and am sorry to hear about the heart problems but totally understand as Tigger has just in the last few weeks been diagnosed with the same thing. He will be 11 in August. He's only had the occasional cough and when i took him in for his annual jabs, i happened to mention this 'clearing of the throat'. Within days he had had a chest xray and an ecg which showed up the problem. He is on vetmedin, frusemide and vivitonin twice a day. I can't say that his coughing has drastically reduced as he was never coughing that much but he had been losing weight. I put that down to the increased level of exercise since we had the BC but now realise its related to this heart problem although the vet wasnt too concerned with his weight. I have increased his fish4dogs complete and am now feeding three times a day to help him maintain weight. His appetite is good for fish4dogs but he wont touch anything else (apart from the tiny bit of tuna that put the tablets in). He is still loving his walks and although the vet says it should be little and often, its hard to leave him behind when he cries knowing the other dogs out across the fields. I've been led to believe from my vet that he could go on for another few years quite well. I have to take him back in a months time to get him checked out again just incase he needs to have his meds changed. Apparently, one of the side effects of the meds is that it could cause incontinence but he hasnt that problem so fingers crossed for all of our buddies having a bit of a tough time with their huge beautiful hearts!:)

15. gillnhow

I am now pulling my hair out,my Charlie has now given up eating i have tried every dog food raw and cooked,every meat possible.He has a nibble of butchers puppy food at night but thats it.He has gone from 33kilos to 20 kilos and that was last week.Please can anyone advise me what i should to.
    Thank you.

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you spoken to your vet at all about the lack of appetite? I believe there are drugs they can prescribe to increase it, but possibly not on a long term basis.

Have you tried cat food? I used to look after a pointer who would stop eating for the duration of his stay (in boarding kennels) but we found cat food won him over. Not balanced, but better than nothing at all.

17. gillnhow

I am seeing the vet tomorrow,i asked him about cat food and he said its not good for dogs,he told me why but i cant remember.I Will ask about the drugs to increase his appetite.
    Thanks

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I know certain steroids work, and i think diazapam (sp) but whether or not its prescribed for appetite, im not 100% sure.

What wet foods have you tried? Naturediet seems to go down well. Also anything fishy due to the strong smell. Mackeral in sauce or oil is popular.

Long term cat food would lead to malnutrition, but its better than starving to death.

19. gillnhow

i have tried naturediet,pedigree,royal canine,bakers,butchers and everything in pets at home and the vets.I have cooked every peice of meat possible even rump steak.He will pick at puppy food but just cant seem to be bothered.I think hes hungry as he keeps coming in the kitchen when we are in there,he is so frail and sad and walking about with his head and tail down.I am at my wits end.

20. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

How about some white fish and rice?

Maybe give him small meals but often.

How about some little titbits too like some apple or carrot ?

Some mashed up veg with some gravy?

These are different from the wet or dried foods and may make him a bit interested.

Really feel for you hun- must be a huge worry. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice