Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heart broken in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by marianne, Aug 3, 2009.

1. marianne

marianne PetForums Member

As I'm writing you all I'm remembering you are all probably asleep! So Good Morning to who reads this ! My daughters and myself are dog sitting a great dane. She is 11 years old and frankly we think she should be put to sleep. She no longer is kept inside because she can't control her bowels. The had built a lean-to on their deck for her, but it doesn't keep the rain out. She is a large bag of bones. She has no muscle mass so she must be in considerable pain. She is on a couple of medicines but can't take the pain meds because it affects her badly.
    The owner (very nice couple) told Jen that you wouldn't put your Grandmother down. She didn't quite know what to say. I'm trying to come up with a way to tell him to put her out of her misery. She is beginning to "nest" in a corner of their yard. Our Vet says she is getting ready to die.
    Has anyone had a similiar situation? I have had to put down my sweet dogs and know how hard it is, but I also know I wouldn't put them through what she is going through. It makes me want to cry. I hope I can convince them!

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

To me it now sounds like she has not got a good quality of life anymore and although we love our animals there comes a time when enough is enough to me it sounds like shes on borderline for being in pain and may be suffering. Could you not be crafty and ask a vets opinoin even if you talk to the owner.Discuse your concerns they may be blind to what going on because there worried about losing there dog. I think she should be pts as so not to suffer if her quality of life is no longer tolerable for her.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

yOU WOULDNT PUT YOUR GRANDMOTHER DOWN? no because its illegal that doenst give your friends the right to keep this poor dog suffering, animals are in a fortunate position to not have to suffer unnesessarily, unfortunately they have to rely on us being kind enought to do the deed.

I would speak to the vet, your friends need to be brought up to speed on this and made to realise that although they love this dog and ime sure they do but at times like this you have to think of the dog.

I dont envy your position and ime sure you are doing your best, good luck keep us posted, how long till the owners are back?

4. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

As much as i love my dogs and they are my world if they were like that i wouldnt want them to suffer.

My Grandad left his male springer like that. He could harldy move and we told him he is being cruel. I can understand they are very attached but you are leaving them in pain and they cant tell you they are in pain so we have to do whats best for them

I hope they realize this soon

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I wouldn't put my grandma to sleep, but I also wouldn't leave her in the garden after living in a house all her life and I wouldn't accept that she was in pain if there was a way to stop it. You must feel terrible being put in the middle of this heartbreaking decision but apart from giving your friends the benefit of your advice there really isn't a lot you can do. I pray for her sake that the end comes soon and she doesn't suffer too much more.

6. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

How awful :(

I hate to think of that poor dog living it's last few months, weeks or days outside :(

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

that poor old dog, how sad:( i dont know how they could push her outside without even adaquate shelter,i feel so sorry you have been placed in this predicament, couldnt you take her back to the vets & see what he advises?

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Good luck trying to persuade them whats the best thing, whilst I cannot see myself ever allowing my boy to suffer in this way I do think at the begining I would be in denial about how bad he would be. The kindest and most loving thing they could do for this dog is give her a love and let her go.

9. haeveymolly

I agree we dont truely understand how they are feeling, but we have an instinct at times i know its not easy and the excuses we come up with at these times are just excuses because we cant bare to think of the alternative. We had our first springer put to sleep may last year so i know how hard it is to make that decision, but we have to do what is best for them.

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

if the poor dog is suffering and has no quality of life the most selfless act of love would be to end his misery.

are they aware of what the vet said?

if so please try to explain that no matter how much it may hurt them it will be the ultimate act of love for the dog.

by all means get a second opinion from a vet this may help with their understanding.

also there are lots of articles online re this situation. can you print some off and go through them with the couple.

they may well not want to lose the dog but i wonder why he is on a leaky porch and left outside if this is the case.

poor old thing i feel really sorry for him.

btw 11 years old is a long life for a GD. please help to let him end it with dignity, not lying in a pile of crap and wet and sad.

#10 davehyde, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  11. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

One of the hardest yet kindest things you do for your pet is to take control when the time comes. Its hard and the guilt etc is there but once weighing up the facts ie quality of life you soon realise its the kindest thing to do.
    Your friends at the moment are being selfish(in their own way) and keeping her going for them.....
    You say she has pills from vets...............i wonder if he has spoke bout putting her to sleep.

Best of luck xx

12. haeveymolly

I cant understand why they have put her outside whatever mess they make this surely would be the time you would want then to be inside and comfier than ever before.

13. marianne

marianne PetForums Member

Thanks for all of your concerns for this poor sweet dog. The owners came back late Sunday night and we have not heard from them yet. I have been going over in my mind what I would like to say to them. What do you think of this:

Liebling has given your family unconditional love for so many years. She was always well behaved while she was living in the house and was always excited to see and play with her family. Now that she's old and weary, you've sent her outside to deal with the heat and thunderstorms. She can barely hold herself up because she has no muscle mass and surely must be in pain. Yet she tries to be her younger self at times. You would want your grandmother to be pain free and to be able to die with dignity and be surrounded by loved ones. Please give your wonderful dog the same respect. Let her die pain free and with her loved ones around her and with dignity.

I hope I get the courage to tell them this. I might even volunteer to go with them if they decide to put her down. It really bothered me also that they left town knowing she is so weak. what would we have done is she did die? That would have put us in a horrible situation.

Two years ago we had to put down our sweet Cody. He died of bloat. We waited for my daughter to drive home from college so that all four of us could be with him when he passed on. Everyone at our Vets office and ourselves were crying, but he went peacefully and surrounded by our unconditonal love. I will always miss him, but I know he's watching over us with our other sweet dogs and cats that have died.

14. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Worth a try, if that fails could you not report them tho I know that may make the situation worse between you

15. davehyde

davehyde Banned

leibling awwwww what a poignant name.

if they need reporting i would do it, even if we fell out.

mark twain said something along the lines of

you can measure a man by the way he treats his dog.

and as you say to just gp out of town is despicable if for no GOOD reason.

please really try to help this poor thing. i can see her in my minds eye right now and it is not nice.:angry::sad:

16. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

It is an awfull situation you find your self in, and i dont envy you one little bit.:(
    Do please do every thing you can to help this poor dog, some one should tell them they are actually being cruel and selfish to an animal that has loved them, they should let her go with dignity, and remember her with love.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice