Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heard the most horrendous thing today

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kinjilabs, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

My friend went to take her dog to our vets, man was outside with what she thought was a Staffie, he was from a rescue place, she asked about the dog, what was wrong etc as he was lovely and friendly, turns out he was a Pitt bull and was there to be put to sleep as its owners didnt want to fork out for the cost of it being neutered and registered etc, the dog had been seized by the police, poor man was in tears and said he had got to the vets early with the dog so he could take him for a long walk and feed him before taking him in:(

It really upset me, poor boy:(

2. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

So sad....I bet he was a really lovely dog too with no awful behaviour.
    It's a shame it isn't easier for responsible people to register their pit types, we'd love to be able to register Marley but after contacting the DDA etc it seems the only way is to have the dog seized and go through court and maybe not even get your dog back anyway!

3. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

That's so sad :(

4. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Such a sad thing to have happened :(

I hate spending any more time than I need to at a vets, I try to get there as close to my appt as possible as it breaks my heart when I see people walk in to a consultation room with a clearly much loved dog, only to walk out again with tears streaming down their face, clutching a collar in the hands :(
    These have always been elderly dogs or dogs that were clearly unwell, but to see it happen to a happy healthy dog :frown2:

5. DollyGirl08

I hate that too, so sad to see.
    There is one day that I can't get out my head. I can't remember why I was there now, I think it was with Sandy during her cancer. This lad burst in with a tiny kitten, 8 weeks old i'd say, lifeless on a towel with a bit of blood from the head. He'd accidentally trodden on it's head as he came downstairs as he didn't see her sitting there. It was too late. I just can't get the image out my head.

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

The cost of exemption rose dramatically this year in July, and it's no longer the easier option for many people.

My friend who took on a rehome earlier in the year, which was siezed when he walked it in the park, also was unable to choose exemption. Due to the nature of his work, and the fact the dog wouldn't be permitted to be walked by a dog walker even after exemption, he decided it was kinder to pts.

There's also a great deal of misinformation out there, particularly on the FB selling pages, where people think it's a doddle to go through the exemption process (and are still breeding and openly selling Type or potential Type puppies). They would say that, wouldn't they! :rolleyes:

And so the heartbreak continues.

7. missylou

missylou PetForums Junior

It breaks my heart I sent a picture of Honey to DDA watch to see what they thought and they said she will get seized at some point.
    Money is no problem in getting her back I just worry how she will change in kennels as she has bad separation anxiety and won't eat when I go out so I worry she wouldn't survive in kennels for months on end :(
    She's got an amazing temperament so I would hope we would get her back no problem but I've seen pictures of them when they come out of kennels and its disgusting how they're treated. Come out skinny, covered in sores, broken teeth, open wounds, it's vile!!

I'm terrified every time a police car drives past us on her walks x

8. JulieNoob

JulieNoob PetForums Member

If it was seized by thePolice, how come he had it back to take to the vets?

It's a massively complex procedure, I was under the impression that the seized dogs were only returned once all conditions were fulfilled, or were PTS by Police vets.

9. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Oh my God, this is all so awful and it fills me with anger that anyone should be scared to walk their dog in case it gets seized - its so draconian this cruel law! I still can't believe it hasn't been changed, innocent dogs and heartbroken owners, its like ours is a undeveloped country which knows no better!

If they MUST have BSL why can't they just call for neutering, muzzles and leads? The owners have no choice now because of the cost and that poor man, how must he be feeling tonight? :(

I would never chance a bull cross now, purely because of the fear of having it seized, I'd never take it out just in case. I don't blame that man one bit for what he did, I think that was a very selfless act on his part - just wish he were on here for emotional support, poor guy.

There are many things I hate about this country and this is top of my list. I couldn't imagine having to pts one of mine for no good reason. So angry right now and so helpless too. :mad:

10. DollyGirl08

It is sad. But not all cops are bad, we meet one down the park with his police gsd, and he has met Marley but won't do anything as he has seen how friendly he is and he hates the bsl, but he said if his colleagues saw him they'd seize him.
    It is scarey walking them and the feeling of dread when you see police walking/driving towards you and hoping that they haven't noticed you and won't stop.
    I'd hope that god forbid Marley was ever taken, that they'd give him exemption, as he is neutered and chipped and has a good character and not a bad bone, but even then you are faced with keeping your dog on lead and muzzled for the rest of it's life.

11. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

I follow DDA watch on facebook and some of the stories have had me in tears, I'm a huge believer of deed not breed and as malmum said why not just make it compulsory to muzzle / neuter and never allowed off the lead??

I would never chance bull cross either, not my type of dog but I have nothing against them, I know of a few and I've seen more aggressive chihuahua's

But where does it all stop? With what breed?? I read a state in America want the husky adding to the dangerous dogs list :confused:

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I thought that but maybe they were trying to get him to sign it over - don't think they can take it unless you sign if it hasn't done anything wrong but look 'type' not really sure though. I expect they'd have got it by hook or by crook and if he didn't have money for legal costs perhaps he'd rather it was dead than be taken to kennels for months on end, only to die eventually. I'd do the same if I thought that may happen to a dog of mine. Far better to pass away in the owners arms knowing nothing than languish in dingy stone kennels for even a month, let alone years like poor Lennox did.
    Whilst I think Lennox's owners were fighting for a cause it was Lennox who had to suffer for it, I just kept thinking 'let him go now rather than later' which happened anyway. Sounds defeatist but its okay to fight if you're paying the price but your dog - no!

13. missylou

They can and will take your dog if they see it in a public place or if someone reports you then if you invite them into your home they can take the dog. The only time they can't is if you say they can't come in but they will just get a warrant and then take them anyway!

I think sometimes they say we will take your dog but if the owner agrees there and then to get it pts they will let the owner do so, I think once its been taken that's it. If its deemed dangerous then it will be pts in police 'care'.

They try and make people sign the dog over as its less work for them and they can kill the dog as soon as it arrives at kennels but if you don't sign it over that's when you go through the court process.

I knew of someone who has an American Bulldog x Staffy who bit someone and was taken as a Pitbull type, 3 months later he has the dog back tattood, neutered etc and that dog had bitten so someone so I'm always in hope if Honey got taken we would get her back!

14. missylou

It makes me so mad though as today for example on one of her walks we walked past a Jack Russell who snapped and lunged at her and then a few metres down the road another dog (i think it was a labradoodle) went for her. Both times she just looked at the dog and carried on walking yet she would be the one whose taken and pts for 'looking dangerous'!!

15. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

I have to agree with this. I have met some lovely dogs fitting the criteria but I just would not be able to take that risk of losing my dog. Never say never but the prejudice and blind ignorance at the moment would make me think twice about even taking on a mastiff, boxer cross or some of the lab crosses which is so stupid. Emotionally though I just couldn't do it, I would be a nervous wreck.
    The law as it stands terrifies me even with my own dogs, I worry some idiot is going to let their child run at my dog and claim it was bitten or jumped at.
    I love hounds and I can't see myself owning anything else so I get why people want bull dogs, I really feel for those owners because I don't know what I would do if the shoe was on the other foot.

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

All the advice is NOT to sign your dog over. Once you do, it's out of your hands. But then you are left with applying for exemption by yourself and that's complicated and expensive, as anyone from DDA Watch will tell you (and I have followed them from their inception, when it was a forum set up by Allie Green).

Not everyone can cope with the financial aspect or the stress of it all... whether they have legal rep on their side or not. For many of these people, rightly or wrongly entangled in the law surrounding banned breeds, it's not "only a dog".

That's the worst part really, being treated as a criminal... the deal breaker, and heart breaker, when up against all of this, and finally having to just give in, forced to admit "it's only a dog" by the law.

Having said that, I still don't see why anyone would deliberately choose a puppy that potentially could be Type, in the present climate, and why it is the owners and not the bybs producing these potential Type dogs being targetted. It's like arresting the drug users, and not the dealers, and thereby not stemming the source.

Dogless likes this.
  17. DollyGirl08

I can't say for other people, but we never chose Marley.
    He was in need of a home ASAP and I worried he'd fall in the wrong hands, so I took him on as a foster to find him a good home. I then decided I didn't want the responsibility of trying to place him, so he stayed. The first thing we did when we got him was neuter and microchip, he was only 5 months when he came here and is 4 now.

18. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I "think" there are forces that will allow the dog to stay with the owners whilst they go through the exemption process- or not as the case may be - POOR dog.

Rescues need to be so very careful with dogs they are rehoming, (a rescue I know was asked to take in a Dogo Argentino recently!!!!!) but the bottom line is BSL SUCKS ASS, yes if a dog is in poor hands, misbehaving, being a nuisance, causing trouble, being aggros off lead yadda yadda then something NEEDS to be done - going on purely what a dog looks like is utter garbage.

19. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Can I ask who Marley is? Have you got a picture? He isn't in your sig and I haven't seen you mention him before. :eek:

I agree that it is an absolutely stupid law. Surely we've got more important things to be spending time and money on than killing dogs that haven't done anything wrong.

20. kateh8888

kateh8888 PetForums VIP

Awful, bet the poor dog was lovely too.

We were in the waiting room once when we overheard a frantic phone call. A few minutes later a lady arrived with her dog but he hadn't made it and died on the way. It was so sad, you could see the heartbreak in her eyes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice