Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Healthy 11yo Cat but losing weight

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by FrubertSnuggies, Jan 13, 2021.

1. FrubertSnuggies

FrubertSnuggies PetForums Newbie

Hey all,

New here but looking for some advice because I’m just wracked with anxiety. I’ll try to keep things short.

Adopted cat in 2012 @5.5kg. His age guesstimate at the time was around 3. He maintained this weight until 2017.

2017 4.7kg
    2018 4.46kg
    2019 4.39kg
    2020 4.13kg

In 2018 we had bloods done and all came back healthy. No further action advised by vet.
    Dec 2020 weight worried me and he’s been more vocal than usual so took him in again last week. Full bloods & hypothyroidism test done. Everything clear and in normal regions. Rechecked teeth no issue.

Dietary wise I’ve free fed him since I brought him home. Since the weight loss I tried to introduce wet alongside dry. He only touches the encore tuna & shrimp. Tried a ton of wet food to no success. Vet said if he continues to be vocal for food just give him more of the encore (complementary). Problem is when I increase the wet he barely touches the dry which he need to balance out the wet.

He’s on RC gastrointestinal because he’s always had soft poos sometimes with blood. Introduced Orijen (mixed with RC) but it’s giving him smellier and I think softer poos so may not continue him on it.

I don’t know what else to do. Brings me to tears because I feel like I’m letting his health down. I’m so sorry it’s so long. I tried to condense. Any help I’d really really appreciate. Thanks :)

2. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

It's reassuring that the vet has given him the all-clear regarding bloods/thyroid.

Could it be normal age-related weight loss? My cat isn't much older and has lost a pound or two over the last few years (also had the all clear with bloods).

FrubertSnuggies likes this.
  3. FrubertSnuggies

@teddylion Thanks for responding. This is what I’m low-key thinking and research indicates since all his tests were clear but because of his ongoing poo issue it’s proving hard to let go sadly.

That’s why I wanted some feedback to see if there’s anything else I can do.

4. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

Maybe he has a touch of IBD.

My cat had this when we got him from a rescue centre - in fact, he'd been there quite a long time because nobody wanted a cat with stomach issues. He had to survive on some disgusting grey biscuits prescribed for IBD (may even have been RC), and if he ate anything else he would have diarrhea/blood.

I hate dried food so tried him with different types of wet and found he's fine with any wet food that doesn't contain cereals. He can even eat good quality dry without added grains, but I know this dehydrates him so I tend to steer clear.

FrubertSnuggies likes this.
  5. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

I recently took on a permanent foster cat, age 13 with chronic diarrhoea and very few teeth, because he'd struggle in a cattery and wouldn't be adopted quickly with those issues... A
    all the tests and trying different foods, the vet suggested we try raw. I put him on Purrform complete and haven't looked back. His tummy is about 90% better, and he's put on so much weight the vets have asked me to cut down his food! He was well under 4.5kg when he arrived, ideal weight for his body size is about 5 kg, and he just shot past 5.5kg...

By the way, cats really don't need dry food at all. There are some good threads in the cat health section if you want to read up.

FrubertSnuggies and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. FrubertSnuggies

@Babyshoes I’ve learned a lot in the recent years about dry food and why wet is better hence introducing some wet but he shuns every complete wet food I’ve tried and sticks to the Encore. That’s why I’ve kept the dry food.

Thanks for the recc about Purrform. Was foster kitty a picky eater? Honestly I’m a bit traumatised because he just so picky. But it’s good news it helped his tum!

7. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Ah, if he won't eat a complete wet, then I see why you'd have the dry.

He's not a fussy eater at all and would love something different every meal. I have to give him a variety of raw meats otherwise he gets bored. The other day he ate a dropped cashew nut before I could stop him!

You can try him with small scraps of raw meat trimmed off your food before cooking, assuming you eat meat. (No sausage or cured meat with added salt though.) Maybe ask a butcher for very small amounts of 2-3 different types of meat, chopped fairly small or minced. I often find new things are more accepted if presented by hand as a treat.

If he's fussy about raw, try him on lightly cooked meat, no salt or seasonings. I tend to boil it and include some of the cooking water, you can roast it with water in the pan. If he'll eat that, you can get a completer powder to add.

8. FrubertSnuggies

I’ll definitely try with some raw the next time we’re cutting up meat! I’ve read the Purrform website top to bottom and I’m loving what I’m seeing.

Aww bless him and his cashew nut lol! I wish my boy’s appetite was this straightforward. He sounds a gem!

I forgot why I tried boiling chicken for him once and he gave me the look to say “don’t you love me ma?” and didn’t touch it. However if we occasionally give him fried chicken or a piece of KFC chicken he gobbles it up (only give him the inside white meat) haha

9. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Lol, yeah I know that look. Maybe try roasting a thigh with a little water, so you get the skin a bit crispy which will add flavour.

I've also made a mousse from chicken the last time he had a tummy flare up - boiled a thigh till it was falling off the bone, removed bones then used a sick blender to whizz it up with the cooking water. Boiled it down a bit to get from a soup consitency to a light mousse. It was apparently yummy, even when he didn't feel much like eating... Of course, as I said he's not usually fussy, so who knows if yours will like it.

With my other cats, I've found that the proportion of liquid is important, the chicken should be wet and have a little liquid around it, but if it becomes a soup with pieces floating in it, they don't like it. Also try different temperatures, from warm to cool.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice