Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Health

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Anathema, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Anathema

Anathema PetForums Newbie

Help! My cats are drooling thick drool after flea treatment, should be worried. I'm freaking out.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Anathema and welcome :)

Was it a spot-on flea treatment? If your cats managed to lick some of the stuff off each other then it could make them drool or froth at the mouth because of the nasty taste. This is what cats do when they encounter a taste that is alien to them. I doubt they will have gone back for a second lick, so should be OK within an hour or so.

If it was a flea killing tablet you gave them the drooling could also be due to the nasty taste - some veterinary tablets are bitter tasting. The drooling should stop in an hour or so. Give them some tasty wet food to eat to take away the taste of the medicine.

If they have any other symptoms you are concerned about then please seek advice from a vet.

3. Anathema

Hi, I think they're licking it in. They were squirming around and getting it on wasn't really my finest hour. They've both eaten since. But the second cat didn't start drooling until afterward. I 've managed to wipe off the excess from ones fur so I'm trying to see if that one stops. The other ones just hiding and hissing. It's the last time I use this brand that's for sure. Say here panicing.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Which brand was it?

Tbh, it's likely they would react the same way to any make of spot-on flea treatment if they manage to lick it off their own, or each other's, fur. The stuff is meant to taste vile, so the cats don't want to wash it off themselves.

5. Anathema

Johnson. I normal get it from vet but they wanted me to cart them in. Wish I had now. Thank God I found you on here. All the advice on line is terrifying. I'm still trying to get the second one out of hiding to wipe her fur but she gets hissy and aggressive whenever I use flea treatment and I'm seriously in the dog house with her. The one i managed to wipe down has cleaned the area (because it was now wet) but so far no repeat of the drooling, so fingers crossed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice