Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Health Tests

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kayz, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Where do you look for what health tests your chosen breed need to have done?

I am guessing I am being silly and it is probably right under my nose but I have been on the Kennel Club website and the breed club website.

The breed I am talking about is the English Pointer though we are still not 100% certain. Just wondered if there was a website that tells you what health tests all breeds need.

I have looked on Wikipedia and it says that Pointers are prone to hip dysplasia, cherry eye, epilepsy, and allergies. I know there is a test for hip dysplasia as I have seen it mentioned on here.

Thanks.:)

2. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

3. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

4. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks Crazy.

5. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Sorry Natik...you are quite right!
    Should have written English Pointer :smilewinkgrin:

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

only the german and its both the GSP and GWP...There are none reccomened for the English Pointer..Although OP im sure there are some tests out there that would benifit the breed. If you look into it deep enough.

#6 DevilDogz, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  7. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

hehe ... no probs. :smilewinkgrin: ;)

crazycrest likes this.
  8. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

You should research the dogs in the pedigrees of the stud and bitch you plan to use. Find out what the lifespan and causes of death were from some of the ancestors. If you see liver disease or heart problems, you might want to avoid breeding that particular animal etc. IT is a really helpful method for producing quality dogs responsibly.

9. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

All breeds should be hip scored and eye screened before breeding, in my opinion. :)

10. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

English Pointer Health Issues: Elbow and hip dysplasia, PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy), and epilepsy. Other health concerns include deafness.

Going by the health issues I guess hip and elbow scoring etc would be appropriate even though not required by the KC.....

11. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone.:D

If we decide we are 100% on an English Pointer then we will look for a breeder who tests for these problems.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice