Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

health probs ?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by brackenhwv, May 17, 2010.

1. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

not sure if this is right section but here goes anyways,i got Bracken hungerian wirehaired vizsla last dec, have found out more about her back ground, she will be 9 in Sept, but has a white face of a much older dog, and I've found out that she has had at least 6 litters, been hunted , starved n abused. What longterm health problems if any would this lead too ? As mentioned in a another thread I have problems with her feeding. Thanks

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,oh bless her,shes had a rotten life.Darn good job shes found you now!
    Has she seen the vet since youve had her? hopefully if you have , it will have ruled out any physical problems.
    I tend to believe that dogs live for the 'now'.although memories can be triggered by situations or smells etc.As she has had a really rough old time,there is bound to be some distrust.Try and build trust with her.
    I read you were having food problems,are they any better? Have you tried walking her,then letting her rest,then feeding her,she may feel she needs to work for her food.
    Are you particularly worried about anything? Im sure she probably feels relieved she has found somewhere safe and secure,but she will also feel confused about this,as shes not had it before.Show her that its ok,let her relax and not expect too much.
    hopefully in time she will begin to show affection,eat her food,and be happy again.good luck xx

3. brackenhwv

she hasn't seen the vet yet but will be shortly the reason being her fear of men and strangers and how she reacted to hand movements over the head, she would throw herself screaming to the floor and I felt that she didn't need the stress, no physical problems as such I think as she will quite happily scoff whats on my plate, given half the chance ! i was wondering if being bred so much with not the best of homes, if this could throw any probs later in life, She trusts me completely now but is still wary of stangers, for all she's been thru she is a very loving dog

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Ah bless her,hopefully others who have rescued a dog of similar background will come along with advice for you,Iv not done so,so feel a bit useless really.
    However if physically ok,im sure, in time,with lots of training and patience from you,she will do just fine. She have her little quirky things but love her for what she is,and be proud she ends her final years with you and not someone else who will abuse her.Maybe see if you can find a vet who will come to your place (female?),that may make it easier for her initially.
    With the food,dont worry too much,she wont starve herself.offer her food and leave it down for the day,she will eat if hungry.Single dogs do tend to graze,as apposed to more than one dog,but its no bad thing as long as they eat enough.If you want to tempt her,you can add lots of yummy things,just make sure they are healthy for her.
    I wish you lots of luck,and many lovely years with this dog,im sorry im not much help here,but felt awful no-one had answered yet.

Also wanted to add,maybe a good idea to post this in the health section,as more people may read it x

#4 Bearpaw, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Just an immediate thought, but has she been spayed? At her age and having had the numbers of litters she has had she has a high risk of developing pyometra.

6. brackenhwv

no not yet, am trying to get enough weight on her to cope with op

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice