Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Health problem? Help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sophielou, Jan 10, 2020.

1. sophielou

sophielou PetForums Newbie

Hey, so I’m actually posting for another family member of mine regarding her dog, she’s a Jack Russell, was the runt of the litter, she’s nearly 3 now and has to sleep in a cage at night time, the problem started from a young age and hasn’t stopped, basically my aunt started waking up to poo and wee all over her kitchen, and shredded up newspaper everywhere, even the dog covered in it, so after putting her in a cage at night time she continues to poo and wee all over the cage, shed the newspaper and even poo in her bed and water bowl, every morning my aunt is waking up to this and there is a LOT of it and it’s a mess, she’s tried changing her diet several times, minimising food, she’s been to the vets with her and all they’ve done is give dietary advice etc, she has lots of walks, she has the run of the garden which is massive, all day long in which she poo’s a lot all day long, my aunt just doesn’t know what to do as she can’t cope waking up every single morning having to bath the dog covered in poo, throwing beds away constantly, the mess, the smell every single morning, and not only that but she’s doing it in her water bowl? What can she do, thanks

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Sounds like separation anxiety. Can the pup not sleep in a room with another family member?

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  3. Joyjamie

Joyjamie PetForums Junior

Agrees with previous comment, separation anxiety. Is she like this when she goes out and leave she her? Other things you could try is giving her plenty of exercise in the evening, doesn’t have to be a walk just playing with a ball. Also try and see if she can go toilet before bed, leaving music on might help her

4. Anniston

Anniston PetForums Newbie

I agree with the posters above, that could be it, do as they say. I guess she needs more activity in her life. Also according to the article, you may need something like a dog crate for separation anxiety, even despite she already has a cage. I would also suggest asking a different vet about it. In my case, I got a second dog and that made my pooch very active and happy. But that may sound too radical to some.

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm afraid a crate is no cure for separation anxiety. Nor is more activity, or a dog companion if it is her people being gone that triggers the anxiety.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Go right back to basics with toilet training.

Putting a dog in a cage doesn’t address the issues - toilet training is still needed as is help to not be anxious when alone.

Having the run of the garden all day can mean the dog has never learned bowel and bladder control and is used to going whenever and wherever they choose.

If anxiety is the issue, having her sleep near someone who can help her settle (and get her out to the toilet fast when she wakes) should help.

Look at meal times too and get her into a good routine so she isn’t needing to empty in the night.

#6 Lurcherlad, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 6:24 AM
    Torin., SusieRainbow and JoanneF like this.
  7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

If she poos quite a lot throughout the day perhaps it is a dietry problem

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice