Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

health claims

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by TASHER, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:27 PM.

1. TASHER

TASHER PetForums Newbie

You might want to learn from our experience. We were looking for a puppy from health tested parents. We replied to a breeder Florie Bell Pups - a licensed breeder who claims her breeding dogs are health tested. When we visited, instead of showing us the documentation, she said 'call the vet'. The catch was, to reserve the puppy we had to pay a non refundable deposit immediately. When I added a clause to the deposit agreement to say subject to confirmation of parents' health, the breeder immediately broke off contact and sold the puppy to someone else. When I got through to the vet she said that privacy stopped her from divulging information about dogs. The breeder must have known this. So her strategy appears to be to get people to pay deposits and avoid anyone - like us - who actually checks the information.
    Why would a breeder do this unless they have something to hide. We were very surprised and now assume that anyone who advertises on a website is in it for the money, and require hard evidence before believing anything they say. I hope you will too.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Good that you didn't go with this breeder.
    Yes, any breeder who health tests (not just a once over at the vet, but actual, registered health tests), will be proud to share the results, and they should be easily searchable on the appropriate database - no need for paperwork, just the dog's registered name.

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Looks like a puppy farm to me churning out "designer" aka crossbreed puppies by the dozens:Arghh

Calvine likes this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I think you had a lucky escape there. So many stories of people paying out huge amounts and being heart-broken when the pup dies.

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

You indeed had a lucky escape. To me, there are several red flags about this "breeder" that I spotted straight away just from glancing at the website. Firstly, they are churning out 4 different "breeds" (one actual breed and then 3 crosses). Then, one of these crosses is a mix of two breeds fraught with health problems (cavalier and pug). Thirdly, there are mentions of health tests on one of the stud dogs, but not the other two. The health tests on the one that is mentioned are not sufficient for this breed. And I also cannot find any information on the bitches they are breeding from either. Not good.

Burrowzig, Torin., LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh dear I didn't know this was a thing?! Why on earth would you cross those two breeds?!

Sairy and LinznMilly like this.
  7. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Report her to the council she is licenced with. If you could her advert on pets4homes and she is a licenced breedr her licence number will be on the advert and the name of the council

8. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

My thoughts exactly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice