Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Head Trauma = naughty dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Miss Charmaine Johnson, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Miss Charmaine Johnson

Miss Charmaine Johnson PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    My yorkie recently- 8 weeks ago, fractured his skull in 2 places (all healed now) but his behaviour over the past 4 weeks has deteriorated- he's 6 and house trained, obedient and super settled. About 4 weeks now he's been pooping and peeing EVERYWHERE, whenever he fancies and is suffering from separation anxiety really bad too- although not with my partner, just me. Some days I have to fight him out the door, which is super stressful and he's barking the house down and becoming destructive (which has never ever been an issue). I rung the vets and they suggested calmers for him, to no effect- then suggested sedatives. Laid down puppy pads, removed anything that he can destroy and still he'll pull clothes down, tea towels to pee on them, poos everywhere but the pads (which he didn't even need as a puppy!) and more recently has taken to scratching doors. I'm just wondering if anybody has experienced a dog head trauma leading to unsettled behaviour? The only way I can describe it it's like the training's fell out of his head!

Naturally I assumed it was the lack of exercise at first, with his injury he had to stay indoors for 4-5 weeks. But the past few weeks he's been out every day, and calm as anything when I'm around.

I'm worried he's got some sort of brain damage or is he acting up due to our soft approach whilst he was poorly?

Thank you,
    Mainey

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

A dog isn't going to act up because you've been softer on them. I'm afraid it does sound like it could be brain damage as the behaviour change is so dramatic. It can take dogs a while to get over a serious illness or injury, but this sounds abnormal. I'd ask if the vets have an experienced behaviourist that can come and help you, and see if they think it's just a change due to the impact of the illness and recuperation, or whether they think it might be more serious and worth further vet investigations.

Torin., Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I really don’t think he’s being naughty.

More likely a combination of some effect of the injury and the stress and trauma of it, treatment, vet visits and changes in routines.

Go right back to “puppy training” with everything.

Maybe look online about brain injury in humans for some insight into how he might be feeling/affected?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice