Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Head Tilt

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by xgumbox, Jul 17, 2018.

1. xgumbox

xgumbox PetForums Newbie

i got a rabbit named Sammie January 26th of this year, and she was born with wry neck/head tilt due to being formed in a hoarder's house.
    i already went to the vet, and they sad that there was absolutley nothing that they could do to help her. i asked if they could check for ear mites, which they did (all they did was stick a q-tip in her ear) and said that she didn't have any.
    Sammie's been having small seizures as of lately, and i told the vet that as well, but she still said that there was nothing that she could do.
    does anyone know any ways to help wry neck/head tilt get better? Sammie used to run around where ever she wanted, and now she's unable to walk. at one point, her neck did get a lot better, and it was almost straight, but in the past month she has gotten a lot worse, and her head is nearly touching the ground at this point.
    Sammie can still eat and drink very well, she doesn't need any help with that. i am just worried that her neck will somehow get worse.
    does anyone know what i should do to help her?

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Get a second opinion from another vet. The Rabbit Welfare Association can recommend a rabbit-savvy one near you.

There's a number of causes for head tilt, this could well be the EC parasite, a neurological parasite, and she would need a 30 day course of Panacur Rabbit to try and kill off the entire lifecycle of the parasite. A vet can test for this (although false negatives are known to happen as well). If she came from a hoarder situation, EC is very likely the cause, especially with added seizures going on.

Whether she will fully straighten out with proper treatment is an unknown.

3. xgumbox

xgumbox PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the response, the vet kept telling me that it was a neurological thing, but I really do feel that she has mites.
    Would it harm her in any way if I gave her the mite treatment and it turns out that she never had any?

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Better to get a second opinion and ask the vet to examine/test for both mites and EC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice