Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

He wont eat most wet food.. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by panos, Feb 5, 2012.

1. panos

panos PetForums Junior

Hi there. My kitten is a 6 month male persian.

He mostly had Royal Canin & Orijen dry food with some Applaws supplementary wet food.

I bough him wet food. petnatur, Mac's, Ziwipeak, TigerCat & GranataPet.
    He wont touch any MAC's. Neither petnatur. 2 different tastes for each...
    From ZiwiPeak he only eats Venison & Fish.

I didnt try Tigercat or GranataPet yet but I dont think he will eat it... :/

Is there any "special technique" I can use to make him eat it? I even tried to mix some of the food he likes with the one he wont eat, but he didnt like it.

Shall I leave him without other food for a day or so to make him eat it? Is there any way to MAKE him eat it or I should just give up and buy him only the food he eats? Is it normal for a cat to eat only one taste from one brand?!? :mad:

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Most of the foods you are trying are quite solid and a bit dry (in a wet way) - he is used to applaws which is shredded stuff with juice. How about giving the Bozita tetra packs in pate a try (Reindeer and turkey flavour) as they are moister than Macs etc. This might help him. Or add cooled boiled water to the others to make a gravy.

Are you still giving him the dry at the same time?

3. panos

panos PetForums Junior

yes I am giving him dry each other day.

Ziwipeak is also "dry" (in a wet way)...

With MAC's and petnatur he just smells it and goes away. Even in the morning
    when he is supposed to be hungry. (I take his food away during the night)

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If you want him to eat the wet take away the dry at least until you have wet feeding established. My Birman would eat dry above anything else and occasionally when I've been given a sample packet at show she gets it and then refuses wet for a day or so afterwards - the dry is incredibly addictive for them .

5. panos

panos PetForums Junior

I am giving dry food + supplement wet food on one day and only wet the other.

Only wet food diet is kinda too expensive... it costs me like 1.5 euro each day. And usually 1 small can of wet food (170-200g) is not enough for him for one day...

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

1.5 euros is only 1/2 a cup of coffee. But it's up to you really - even the worst quality wet is better than the best quality dry - because of the dehydrating qualities. But it's your choice. Personally, I think whilst you are feeding dry you are going to struggle unless you hit on the one food he likes. Give the Bozita pate a try and try adding warm water to make a gravy - after that if he is still being fussy and you are unwilling to forego the dry then just give him what he will eat and don't worry about the rest.

Of course if you buy bigger tins and buy in bulk then the food is cheaper.

hobbs2004 likes this.
  7. panos

panos PetForums Junior

It's the shipping costs that make it expensive :(

BTW, what if i want to turn to wet food? Do I just put wet food in his bowl and wait till he starves? lol

8. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I've given my two Bozita pate (reindeer) for the first time today and they ate it in about 30 seconds! It does seem to be of a 'wetter' consistency than brands like Animonda, Grau and Macs.

I've also found that sprinkling a Thrive treat over food they've lost interest in helps (not bad for them it's 100% meat) - this is what I'm doing with the Animonda which they're no longer interested in as I don't want the tins I bought to go to waste!

9. spid

spid PetForums VIP

No, you can't do that - as unlike dogs if cats don't eat for more than a few days they start to eat their own internal organs form the inside - so not recommended.

10. panos

panos PetForums Junior

So for how long can I "test" a food before giving him something he will eat?

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

A grown cat shouldn't go without food for longer than 24 hrs.

But if I were you, I would feed him the wet foods that you know he will eat for a couple of days. Then I would pick one brand that you would quite like him to eat and slowly mix it in with his old food. Start with just a tiny amount (yes, there will be waste initially) and over subsequent days increasing the amount of new food he gets.

If that is too arduous, then try mixing it with a little water to make it wetter (ZP is quite a wet food for a pate food; i.e. it has quite a bit of gravy). Or you could try warming the food just a little bit (by putting the food bowl into another, bigger bowl of warm water) to see whether the more intensive smell will whet his appetite.

Or or in addition to, as the others have suggested, sprinkle some of his favourite treats (or crushed-up dry food) on top to see whether he will eat that.

Hope that helps and that he will eat your culinary offerings.

12. panos

panos PetForums Junior

I tried this in a way... but he found the part with the new food and left it away lol

Would it worth the effort? Shall I just stick to ZiwiPeak?... (which btw happens to be the most expensive one :mad:)

ZiwiPeak with Applaws treats from time to time + some Orijen dry once in a while sounds good to me... you think it's ok? :)

13. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I´m just another struggling cat owner like you (still bent on giving mine mainly wet much to his distaste for most brands). However I have found in this very long year that what he likes is shredded or cut in very tiny bits. So I´m just getting those brands, the problem is that not all of them are complete. Anyway don´t get frustrated, Merlin also walks away when he doesn´r like the food. Sometimes he won´t even come into the kitchen, he decides from the doorway:D

14. panos

panos PetForums Junior

I tried to chop it to small pieces. Still nothing... He doesnt like the smell at all. Shows no interest at all. He just walks away. And he was hungry! He was trying to tear the bag with the cheap supermarket kibble I buy for the outdoor cats and eat from it rather than eating his wet food...

And Ziwipeak is 2.15 EUR / 170g! :eek:

Not to mention he eats more than 170g/day...

:confused:

15. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I had to throw ZP away as it was one of the foods Merlin decided I could have if I wanted. I am atleast trying to change the little dry he gets to better quality and looking for good shredded wet food.

16. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Merlin have you tried mashing the food with a potato masher and adding a little warm water?

Holly wouldnt try any wet food at all - but if I mash it with a masher so its really fine she will eat it.

At the moment this is Felix as she wont eat anything else, but at least its wet - before all she would eat was dry :)

17. panos

panos PetForums Junior

Tomorrow morning I will try another taste from GranataPet... :rolleyes:

18. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

Hi Panos, I wonder if this might help, do you have a freezer?

If you do you could try this to avoid wasting the new foods, especially the dense pate style ones.

Decant the food from the original container, cut into slices or into small cubes depending on the consistency, if you have a ice drawer in the freezer, pop the pieces on a baking sheet / other flat surface and sit it in the ice cube drawer or just put in the freezer on the tray, they will freeze pretty quickly, once frozen tip them in a tupperware / any other suitable container, label the tubs or write the name on a piece of paper and put in the tub so you know which one he's trying.

To prepare take out one small cube or part of a slice to add to the wet food you know he will eat, put it on the plate first, add a smidge of hot water this will thaw and thin the new food, mix the new food with the thawed mixture.

As mentioned the proportion of the new food can be critical, sometimes you need to start with as little as 5% sometimes with very imprinted cats even less, like a finger nail size piece or smaller, start small and increase very gradually, go at his pace and go back a step if the increase is too sudden.

I'd also continue to offer him some of the whole new food as well, it can take take a great deal of repetition with some cats, he needs to become familiar with and trust the new food. Most kittens will eat almost anything, if he is very addicted to the kibble this could be playing a part, he'll smell it even if hidden in a cupboard, is there anyway you can store this out of the house?

If you don't have a freezer keep the wet food in the coldest part of the fridge, I hate waste as well but with getting new things introduced sometimes there is some waste, you can only try to keep it to a minimum and I guess if there is any it could go to the outside cats you feed.

I've sat on the floor with mine when they were young and pretended to eat a new offering, yum yum! This often arouses interest at least and is what their mums do, she eats they get interested and learn to trust the substance as food, keep going it will be worth it.

spid likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice