Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

He pulled the cat flap off and escaped

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by foursmith, Aug 22, 2013.

1. foursmith

foursmith PetForums Senior

Elvis is one now, he has always been left while I work, never ever had a problem.we are home more in hols but we still leave him.
    We popped to next town today so as usual left him in dining room with radio and kong, I didn't lock the gate outside cos he was locked in.

Half hr later I get a call saying have I lost my dog!
    I said no but he said he had a dog called Elvis with my number on his tag and he would keep him til I got there.the guy is in a house down the street recently moved in.
    I shot home collected Elvis thanking him profusely then headed home to see how he had got out

He had literally ripped the cat flap out and squeezed through the hole
    It must have taken some determination.

Soooooo why now....I feel soooo bad, do I start again leaving for short periods or just carry on and hope its a one off.
    I have given him a good check over and he luckily has not injured himself.scared the living daylights out of me though and £100 to replace the door panel, the cat no longer lives here

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

How scary, my worst nightmare ! Well, at least he won't be able to get out that way again if you've replaced the door panel, so I'd try and put it behind you now you know he's safe.
    My dog likes to put her head through the cat flap to see what's going on and have a little woof, very un- nerving for visitors :) She's never attempted to get through it , I think it's slightly too high and she's too fat !
    She's contained in the utility room by a baby gate when we're out anyway.
    Hope you're feeling calmer now , Naughty Elvis !!

3. foursmith

He's a mare today ,just been down the beach to burn off his energy and he ran flaming miles away and I mean a long way, by the time I got there a lady had hold of him I was knackered and filthy, I really don't get what is going on with him today totally out of character :confused:

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How frightening! No bitches in season nearby?

5. foursmith

Don't know but he's been done so that shouldn't matter should it?

I have no idea why today he has been so crazy :confused: quite possibly our worst day ever :(

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Neutered dogs can still be affected by the scent of a bitch in season I believe.

7. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Hope this makes you smile :D

[​IMG]

8. foursmith

Thanks pearl lol, dogs,who'd have em :rolleyes:

9. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

We've had a few flaps broken by big fat heads, so they aren't allowed in the kitchen when I'm out.

Glad he's OK anyway

10. Beau-a-saurus

Beau-a-saurus PetForums Senior

I wonder if he is hitting terrible teens? Naughty Elvis and poor you, he is putting you through it at the moment isnt he! :aureola:

Just a thought but does he chase anything or display prey drive?

If beau saw a cat in our garden he would go through hell and high water to 'get it' not sure what he would do if he caught it as he is actually scared of them but it is bit of a 'thing' for him chasing cats, birds (butterflies) out of HIS garden :rolleyes:

I doubt it is separation anxiety or he was trying to get out for no reason but it might be worth trying to video him when left to put your mind at rest?

11. foursmith

Thanks beau, his prey drive is only high with birds, I am at a loss but I agree I don't think it's anxiety

My plan ATM is to continue as norm but more on lead walks and more training again, I really hope it's just a quick phase

He was fed up earlier cos I was annoyed when he ran away so used a stern voice he really did look sad and that makes me sad

He's snuggled next to me now and tomorrows a new day and hopefully slightly less stressful

12. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I'm afraid he's probably reached the dreaded adolescent stage. Finlay became an absolute nightmare almost overnight and it took a while for him to settle back down. Go back to basics with your training and be patient :)

13. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

What a worry!

But think positively. You had the details on his collar, and he was wearing it. The unforeseen is why I always like Bess to wear her collar and tags.

He was found by someone who called you n

You've blocked off his escape route now. He was probably just exploring, rather than desparate to escape.

14. foursmith

Thanks I honestly thought we had done the teens but maybe not
    Ho hum bAck to basics it is hen.....he was I thought all ready for his pat dog application but I Guess it can wait :confused::(:(:(

15. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

You need to put an ASBO on him cos I'd wager he's hitting the terrible teens. What a little so and so though but a clever little fella all the same. I wonder how long it took him to get out, bet that was a sight eh?

So glad he's safe and was wearing his collar and tag, nice man too for picking him up. Have to admire his determination though. :D

16. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The little *#****#* ...............monkey.

You must have been so shocked, this is just the sort of thing my evil teddy bear would do.

He needs a good talking too :biggrin5:

It may be the terrible teens with my last dog they lasted until over 2 years old. Although they can just have naughty days for no apparent reason, well no apparent reason to us they of course know exactly why :mad::.

I remember my Rough collie escaping by jumping a gate and going to play on the local park, nobody could catch him until my neighbours daughter arrived, knowing his excessive vanity she just stood there and said

"oh beautiful"

low and behold he came straight to her because she was a person worthy of his interest if she admired his excessive good looks :rolleyes:

Dogs are designed to drive us to distraction, embarrass us and generally make life difficult. The reason we go through all that?
    No idea! I think I was bad in a previous life so someone said oh lets make her a dog lover in this life as a punishment.

17. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

That sounds scary, glad Elvis is home safe.

We had a cat flap installed last winter, Ollie is getting on in years now and I thought it fair that he had access to indoors 24/7, regardless of when we were out.

Scout is no issue at all, but Mira does like to pop her head through it and have a look out in the mornings. Plus if she is outside and wants back in, she pops her head through to let you know.

She is quite petite, I am fairly sure if she went paws first she could squeeze through it, but luckily she hasn't figured that out. Garden is secure, but I still don't want her letting herself out as she pleases!

18. foursmith

Malmum it must have been hilarious to watch he's not such a small fella,my garden is secure but because I had locked him in I didn't lock the gate, I won't be doing that again

He's certainly inventive

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice