Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

He keeps screaming when in his crate and the door closes...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Arry, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

Hobo came home from the rescue centre on Sunday. He is four months old (ish) and we 'think' is a cross lab/collie with a great temprament and huge paws!

He has settled in well and last night slept in his crate (that he'd spent the day in and out of) . He's fine during the day, when the door is open but as soon as we close the door he screams!

Last night was aweful. I don't want to give in as I know he will learn bad habits. However, is there a secret to getting him to calm down and relax in his crate?

Thanks in advance

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Try giving him some dog chews such as pigs ears when you close the door.
    If you do this each time then he will associate the door being closed as a good thing if there is a treat in store for him.
    You could also try a night light when you go to bed or a radio left on quietly. :)

3. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

would it be possible for you to put his crate in your room with you at night as he has come from a rescue place it may be that he is just scared that your going to leave him , they must see so many people come and go it may reasure him that he is there to stay and your not leaving him . its a fine line between ignoring what you dont want and being patient with the poor boy . im sure given a bit of time he will be ok labs and collies are good dogs and not a bad mix to have although the collie part of him may make him a little more highly strung .post some pics if you have any .
    Andrea

4. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

Tried the radio last night. Made no difference. The crate is quite big and so carrying it to our bedroom on the top floor (3 storey house!) means it isn't really possible.

He's fine in his crate when the door is open and often takes himself in there of his own accord. However, even if I'm in the same room as him and I lock him in he cries.

5. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

it may just be associated behaviour in that he maybe cried when his door was shut on him in the rescue place, and thats what he thinks he must do . he should be fine in a few days when he realises that he isnt going to be left . try closing the door for litterally 10 seconds then open it and give him a treat praise him and let him out do this often each time leaving it a little longer between opening it again , the fact he isnt very old should mean that he gets over this with no permanent damage to him mentally. how is he if you leave him in a room and shut the door ?

6. Jonsville

Jonsville PetForums Newbie

Excellent posts above i agree
    also you could try as its been mentioned feeding him not only treats but his Breakfast and tea in the crate too, also does he travel in a crate when in the car, that will also be another postive experience of crates if you train him to a crate in the car too!!
    Good luck im ,sure he will settle it is very early days yet bless him

7. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the encouragement people!

I've just been out for an hour and left him in his crate and he was silent when I came back. However, he has destroyed the piece of cardboard I put in incase he needs 'to go'.

He is doing really really well with the house training. I take him out every two hours and sit with him til he goes. Then, after much praise we come back inside together. So far only a couple of accidents in the house (which I blame myself for). I just wish he'd calm down in the crate.

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Maybe even try filling a kong with paste or something soft he like which would keep him occupied for abit, with abit of luck he may well go to sleep after trying to get all the filling out :).

9. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

I did actually think of buying a kong. Are they as good as people suggest?

10. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

...........Yes! :)

11. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

And what do you suggest putting inside it? I see you can buy biscuits for them but are they the best thing?

12. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

If your going to get a kong they do a special filling for it called kong stuff .

13. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much!

14. AJ

AJ Guest

Yea I dont think they're too good for them, you could try peanut butter or meat paste with some pieces of fresh chicken or something simular!

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Or even try cooking chicken or liver and mashing it up and filling the kong with that?

16. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

cant say ive ever looked into the ingredients in that kong stuff , must say i didnt hold out much hope for its goodness value .

17. Arry

Arry PetForums Newbie

Well, we tried closing him in slightly earlier and staying with him whilst we watched tele. We then let him out again when he was quiet.

Back in his crate, but this time with a biscuit and a t-shirt I'd worn to bed for a week. We went to bed and after 5 minutes of moderate moaning he went quiet. We were then woken up at 1am by the whole house shaking! Quickly realised this was probably nothing to do with Hobo and we were awaking to the earth tremor!!!

Then woken back up at 6am by Hobo moaning so got up to let him out and straight away he wee'd in the garden!!!!

PROGRESS!!!

Thanks all....

18. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Great news! :) - Not about the tremor though :(

19. garryd

garryd Guest

THats the best idea i think!;):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice