Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

He just sits down

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LoobyLoo, Jun 23, 2009.

1. LoobyLoo

LoobyLoo PetForums Junior

Hi everyone

I have a 10 week old Norfolk terrier. We have been going on some fantastic walks. Off the lead he never leaves my side but as soon as I put the lead on he just sits down. I don't want to pull him because he is too small and I don't want to put him off the lead. I have been training him with praise when he is at my side I say repeatedly "come" and "good boy". I think we are making progress with the lead however how long should it take? Also can I over walk him?

Cheers

2. rona

rona Guest

His walks should be 10-15 minutes at his age and have you tried getting him used to the lead at home?
    just connect the lead to his collar and let him trail it behind him in the house, do be watchful while he has it on though

3. LoobyLoo

OOPS! I have been out with him for anything up to 2 hours at a time. He seems to enjoy it and doesn't tire. But thanks I will shorten his walks. I have been leaving the lead on at home and he is fine until I pick it up.

4. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

When he sits down you need to coax him to walk on. Do you treat him if so hold a treat in front of him and as soon as he stands up give him a treat.
    He will soon get the hang of it.
    When i first put a lead on Tilly she yellped like i was torturing her because she could not go in the direction she wanted. My spoiled little tot did not like being told what to do. lol Now she goes mental when i show her the lead.

5. LoobyLoo

I dont use treats only a good fuss. I will try treats later today. Thanks

6. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Try some cooked sausage. Tilly will jump through hoops for a bit of sausage. lol
    Remember not to give too much at first as it might turn his stomach if he has never had it before. changing or adding food should be done slowly. Then remember to only give tiny bits and leave them wanting more.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Cant help you with the lead issue, but 2 hours is WAY too long for a 10 week old puppy.

You could cause some serious growth and joint problems walking such a young animal, for such a long time.

Are his vaccinations complete?

8. LoobyLoo

Yes his vaccinations are complete and we have the all clear to take him out. I would like to stress that a lot of the 2 hours is spent training him to heal. I really hope I havn't caused him any harm

9. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

Im sure he will be fine just reduce his walks until he gets a bit older, good luck with the lead training

10. LoobyLoo

Thanks for the reasurance. I'l stick at it!

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ahh bless! He's probably thinking 'but Im tired!'. He's small enuf to carry though so you could still take him different places without over walking him.
    When my chihuahua put the breaks on I was really mean and just carried on walking! If he really tried to stop then I jogged (evil owner!!). He soon learned that he didnt call the shots on walks, now he loves long walks.

12. Pamela

Pamela Guest

When you put the lead on do you leave it hang loose or do you hold it short and tight as that could be what makes him stop. I agree with the others about the short walk at his age as it can damage his joints and growth. Also stairs can do this. I love the Norfolk Terrier could you post some pics please.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When he's walking at your side, do you use a command? Because if you tell him ''heel' when he is already at your side and treat and do it loads, he will understand what 'heel' means, so you can practice doing it on lead.
    Also have the lead loose so it just feels like there is no lead to him.

I too was mean to Dixie when she was litle, I had 3 other dogs to walk at the time, would carry her to the park then walk up one side, carry her across the middle then get her to walk back. Once she had done her business though she would come round infront of me to be lefted. I would just step over her and make her keep walking.
    Same when she started walking on pavements she would stop but there was no way I was getting a gsd, jrt and a lab x retreiver to stop and wait for her everytime! Lol

She will walk for hours now :) Good luck.

x

14. LoobyLoo

Thanks for this advise it's all really useful. I use the command "come" when he is at my side and praise him loads. I try to keep the lead loose too. I have attached a Pic for you! IMAGE_042.jpg

15. rona

rona Guest

He's adorable. :)

16. Pamela

Pamela Guest

Thank you for the pic I love him.

17. LoobyLoo

IMAGE_039.jpg
    And another

18. Pamela

Pamela Guest

Ahhhh I want him, Pleeeeeaaaaasssseeee

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice