Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hazel is not having fun...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Acidic Angel, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

Poor Hazel has not had a good week this week :(

Weds morning she woke up fine, went out on the patio and did her morning business, came in and ate her breakfast- And then promptly threw it all up 30 mins later.
    I figured she probably had an upset tum, and decided to give her some time to recoup, about 5 hours later she was clear of throwing up so I gave her 10g of biscuits, which then came back up.
    So I gave up until bedtime, where I gave her a small handful of biscuits, these she kept down all night so I was thinking "OK, maybe it's passed.".

Thurs morning, same thing, she went out and did her morning business, tail wagging, bright as anything... I only gave her half of her breakfast, taking into account what happened the day before, and again they came back up quickly.
    So I left her all day to settle, she continued to bring up small amounts of liquid throughout the day but was remaining hydrated and was still bright and alert, come evening I gave her 25g of boiled rice and nothing else- This stayed down nicely.

Fri morning I gave her 35g of boiled rice and 10g of soaked biscuits mixed together, this also stayed down nicely and throughout the day she was able to eat small amounts of soaked biscuits on their own without throwing up. She was looking much happier and was able to keep food down, so I figured "OK, maybe we're clear of that bug now." - And then the head shaking, ear scratching and pawing started :Arghh
    At around 2am this morning she threw up again, but just liquid this time, and I stayed awake until around 4am keeping an eye on her. She had a vets appointment today at 9:45am, so I've had very little sleep at this point anyway.

So to sum this up- She has a fungal ear infection in both ears, and a slight stomach bug as there are no obstructions or blockages in her gut, she's just very empty from not eating a great deal for two days.
    So now I have to wressle her twice a day to put drops in each ear(she hates it), as well as give her a steroid tablet twice a day for 2 days, once a day for 4 days and then once every other day. She also had an anti-sickness injection and I was advised by the vet to give her 2-3 hours and then offer her a table spoon of soaked biscuits, if she could keep that down, offer again in 2 hours, rinse and repeat.

So my bouncy springer, who is remaining bouncy at the sight of people outside, is currently laid on the sofa next to me, being held still when she starts scratching or shaking her head to prevent any aural hematomas occuring.
    9th February 2019.jpg

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Poor girl. Provided it doesn't affect the drops, I have found warming them to body temperature makes them less unpleasant - carry them around tucked into clothing for a little while before use.

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and Acidic Angel like this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Poor girl.

Wishing for a speedy recovery.

Hope you get a good sleep tonight.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  4. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh poor girl, bless her heart. Hope she feels better soon. :(

Acidic Angel likes this.
  5. Acidic Angel

It's the handling of her ears that she doesn't like, I assume because at the moment they're quite sore and inflamed.

Speedy recovery may be further away than hoped unfortunately :(
    She had a tablespoon of food at 1pm, which she kept down very well.
    She had a second tablespoon at 3:15pm, which has just come back up.

I want to suspect that it was because she went and had a big gulp of water after eating, but I'm not a vet. The vet did say there were no blockages or obstructions, and that they thought it was a sicky bug basically. But that's three days she's thrown up on out of four now...

6. Acidic Angel

Just an update- Hazel is in overnight at the vets, she's having xrays tonight and then if they can't see anything it'll be exploratory surgery tomorrow for her.

I'm sure you can understand I'm quite worried and upset and this has come at a really bad time financially for us, so I may not be online until I have her home with me again, we'll see. I might pop in if I need to update anythign else here, or to update if they find anything on the xray, etc...

I just hope my girl is OK :(

7. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

Poor baby, sounds serious, lots of hugs for you both, she is in the right place

Acidic Angel likes this.
  8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh no. Poor Hazel. Sending healing vibes from me and Teds. Hope all is ok xx

Acidic Angel likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

So sorry, we will cross everything for a speedy recovery.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  10. ForestWomble

I'm really sorry to hear this, hope it's good news at the vets.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this development.

Sending healing vibes.

Fingersand paws crossed she’s home and on the mend very soon.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  12. Acidic Angel

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.
    I got a call last night saying her xrays were clear, but this didn't mean she was 100% safe. So they kept her in for monitoring, fed her a small amount of food, etc.. They just rang me to update me and Hazel has made her feelings on staying at the vets very clear apparently! She has trashed her bed, managed to detach herself from her drip, but she hasn't thrown up any food. They fed her last night and this morning. They're keeping her for this morning just to be sure she's not going to throw up and they'll keep feeding her small amounts throughout the morning.

They're not doing the surgery, unless she throws up. They decided because she was still bouncy and loving, they were going to hold off on surgery unless she threw up again.

O2.0, Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh no what a nightmare I hope she is ok. Poor girl.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  14. pennyLokiMUM

How is Hazel if this helps my Murphy had severe sickness once at the vets for 5 nights and he was all well, have they checked for pancreatitis

Acidic Angel likes this.
  15. Acidic Angel

Not long since picked up the little madam, she's having a nice resting snooze on the sofa next to me after the initial excitement of "OMG MY PERSON IS HERE!" at the vets.
    She's got some cans of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food as that's what they were feeding her while there.

She has a very small tear in her esophagus from throwing up, which was the cause of the blood in her last puddle before going back to the vets. And the vet thinks the bile in the puddle was a result of her being so empty having not eaten anything significant for a few days.
    We've got to continue with 1/3 can of the RC food for tonight and tomorrow, this is every couple of hours and she had some not long before we picked her up. Tomorrow evening I've got to add in a couple of her biscuits to the RC and slowly increase how many biscuits per meal. Today she's kept all food down, no issues there. So now it's just a game of seeing how she goes, the vet doesn't think she'll have any more issues now but she gave her another anti-sickness injection today just to be sure. She's also got some powder sachets to go on her first meal of the day tomorrow and Tuesday, these are just to help her gut flora recover a bit.

As for her ears- Well the vet didn't want to stress her too much today after everything, so she's put some steroid cream on them to ease the itching and soreness. It won't fight the fungal infection, but it does give her a day of rest so she doesn't scratch them red raw again, and then tomorrow it's back to the ear drops and the steroid tablets hopefully.
    (Excuse the partially folded rug in the background, it got caught when she came racing in after getting home and I haven't sorted it yet lol.)
    10th February 2019.jpg

ForestWomble and JoanneF like this.
  16. pennyLokiMUM

healing hugs Hazel

Acidic Angel likes this.
  17. ForestWomble

Glad to hear she is home. Get better soon gorgeous.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  18. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Poor girl, she has had a rough time hasn't she! I've only just caught up with all of this cos I've not been about for a couple of days.
    So glad she's back home and keeping some food down, and very relieved, for her and you, that she didn't have to have any surgery.
    Hopefully now she will just improve day by day.
    Sending healing vibes and very best wishes.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  19. Acidic Angel

Well, last night went well. She was tired and mostly slept, but I don't really blame her since it sounds like she was up all night at the vets!
    She kept her last two meals last night down, and this morning she was bright and alert and desperate to pee bless her!
    She had her 1/3 can this morning with her yudigest powder, as well as her steroid tablet and ear drops. Now that her ears aren't as sore she isn't so fussed about the drops thankfully.

ForestWomble likes this.
  20. ForestWomble

That is good news, hope this is the start of her recovery.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice