Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Hayfever flare ups while filling haynets!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JessieJerry, Jan 20, 2019.

1. JessieJerry

JessieJerry PetForums Newbie

I part loan a horse and we have recently switched from haylage to hay. Unfortunately, I am really struggling with what I assume is hayfever. I take one hayfever tablet in the morning, a second and third tablet a short while before and after I start filling haynets *and* I wear a dust mask and gloves, but it makes very little difference. My lips itch and swell, my eyes become red, puffy, itchy and start to water, I sneeze incessantly, and my neck ends up with a rash. It starts a horrible barking and spluttery cough that lasts for hours and my breathing consists of continuous squeaking and crackling noises, although I can breathe totally fine. Does anybody have any tips on how to handle the hay without ending up a complete mess?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Hay has the same effect on me.

You can buy masks which cover your mouth and nose from your Pharmacist.

3. JessieJerry

JessieJerry PetForums Newbie

Are they the same sort of thing as what you get in B&Q/Screwfix etc? I've tried several varieties and none have been particularly effective, although I haven't tried any pharmaceutical brands yet.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@JessieJerry: A friend of mine used to soak the hay for this reason. . . but this is a hassle and more time-consuming, clearly. Out of interest, why did you switch from haylage?
    I also know someone who feeds their mare soaked hay as the horse has COPD. By ''soaked'' I don't necessarily mean left for hours but a couple of slices under the tap for a short while; it's amazing how much muck comes out of it.

#4 Calvine, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice