Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hawthorn and dogs with heart murmur......

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bluejacket, May 20, 2010.

1. bluejacket

bluejacket PetForums Junior

Please read the following very carefully:

I can only tell you my personal experience, I am certainly not advocating everyone follows this route as every pet's problem is different. Also I hope no one reads this and grasps onto it without their Vets knowledge or advice - I want to stress from the outset, I have done everything with the full knowledge of my Vet after examination, tests and discussions - I also have the standard medication they prescribed and have no problem whatsoever administering it the minute I feel the regime I've put my dog on is no longer working.

I am not going to be specific about the vitamin & minerals and dosages I use as it's very important that the amounts are calculated for the size of the dog, but you will find information about it if you search the Web.

Last August my 11 year old whippet suffered some kind of neurological episode, I discovered she also had an enlarged heart and a murmur. She'd been exhibiting roaring in her throat, which the vet explained was due to an enlarged heart. While the vet treated her with steroids, injections then pills, I had read of other dog owners having success with vitamin therapy for their dogs with heart issues and was willing to try it.

To be fair, my Vet was rather reluctant (quite rightly) to go the non-drug route for her heart murmur - but was content when I assured them I would not for an instant allow the dog to suffer, nor was I unwilling to give my dog the medicines supplied. The Vet told me what to look for and what to do should my dog deteriorate suddenly. We agreed to try the vitamin/mineral alternative and to take her back in a few weeks. When I took her back for an examination, the Vet was pleasantly surprised and content her murmur had not got any worse.

All I can say, is that after 9 months, she been off steroids for 3 months, takes her supplements in her dinner once a day and the Vet estimates her murmur has actually improved slightly, the roaring in her throat certainly stopped early on and has not reoccurred. The roaring would occur after she'd drunk water and if she rested on her chest. That no longer happens.

Of course, I realise the vitamins and minerals are no cure - all I may have bought her is time - she could have another episode like the last one at any time or her heart might get worse. But so far, my now 12 year old whippet has a good quality of life and she seems happy, which is all you can ask.

Is it placebo? Does vitamin therapy work? Well, I didn't open this thread to prove of disprove anything - all I know is my dog is on no strong medications, is much better, and after 3 months on vitamins alone, is remaining so. (Although I still have the vets prescription sitting in the cupboard).

Decide for yourself - think about it, read about it, and most importantly, certainly discuss it with your Vet.

#1 bluejacket, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Did the vet use ecg or just a stethescope?

3. bluejacket

bluejacket PetForums Junior

No, she didn't have an ECG - the Vet just used a stethoscope. On initial examination, the Vet estimated the murmur to be a 4 (on a scale of 0-6), at the last examination it was a 3. I have to say, being the breed she is (whippet) you can put your hand on her chest and feel the heart rhythm - hardly scientific I know, but even I have noticed a difference.

#3 bluejacket, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice