Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Having a crate dependent dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 19, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Does anyone else have one?

My aim was that now we have Milo to start leaving Rupert in the kitchen with him for short times. Last summer when we moved here Rupert would bark and cry for a fair while if left in there on his own so I got his crate out and began crating him = he was totally fine. No crying or whining nothing but a patch of drool where he had been sleeping :)

Having two as well I thought being together they might not even notice us leaving them and it'd be nicer for them, especially when I'm out of uni and looking for a proper job. Problem is I don't think I can ever get Rupert out of his crate :(

I have left him a couple times over a couple weeks in the kitchen with Milo, but when I tried it a couple times last week I'd ask him to go in the kitchen and he just wouldn't go, not for a treat or anything. Ask him to go in his bed and he goes bombing off to his crate and is more than happy to go in there.

Its a 42 inch crate and he is a golden retriever albeit not a huge one. I just worry that anything more than 4 hours in a day is too much in a crate but I don't think I'm going to have much choice, he's just not happy going in the kitchen.

Do you think it'd be bad if he ended up in there for a few hours, break, couple hours, break, another couple hours? He doesn't make noise when in the kitchen with Milo he just really doesn't want to go and I don't want to push him in case maybe he doesn't want to be with Milo and its not just the kitchen...

But lots of people say more than 4 hours is cruel etc. He just really seems to prefer it though :(

2. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Can crate go in kitchen but open so he can go in and out as he pleases?

Bell was v crate dependent and i recently began leaving it open and she now prefers the sofa to the crate. Infact I've put the crate upstairs now and whe I used it last weekend at dads she looked at me as if I swore at her when I asked her to go in :rolleyes::

3. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

My dogs are never left alone without them both being in their separate crates, but this is only ever for 3 to 3 1/2 hours at a stretch and usually only once or twice a fortnight.

I think the main problem of being in a crate for a four hour stretch and then not long out before going back is that on a regular basis the dog is likely to become bored, a kong etc will only provide a brief respite. I would persist with the training to leave him at least access to a bigger area, although i worry about the havoc my two would cause if they werent crated, which is part of the reason for crating them.

4. GoldenShadow

Crate doesn't really fit in the kitchen, you'd have to move it to get to cupboards etc and then its less like his space if its being moved about, plus its very bright in the kitchen and where his crate is now is nice and dim (he can't stare out the back door at birds in my room either..!).

I have no doubt if I left him loose in the whole house he would stand on the chair looking out the window. Problem is I know when I'm out and Mum is home he gets whingy and a bit fussy trying to look for me or trying to hear my car. It seems when he's crated he knows I will be back when I'm back sort of thing and just accepts it, but he gets a bit impatient if he can roam about..?

Couldn't trust Milo loose so would have to leave him in the kitchen, Rupert may eat the post though if he's on his own :lol:

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Just leave the door open , so his not actually shut inside the crate.

Sailor still has his crate, but the door is never closed on it, not even when I go out. Theres no point for the door, as he is house trained, he just has the crate because he loves the enclosed feeling of having walls and a roof I think lol

I tried to throw it out, but one day I couldnt find him and discovered him at the side the house... in his crate, getting soaked in the rain ..... was one of those heart warming moments, so I let him keep it :D

6. GoldenShadow

He'd be out for a good 40 minutes. I'm just thinking when the time comes for fulltime work, say I'm out 8-6pm four days, then he will be crated til at least 11, then from 12 til at least 3, then from 4 til say 6 :(

He just seems so reluctant to not go in his bed...I should say Rupert is more than happy to sleep all day long and go for just a 10 min walk morning and night half the time, he doesn't need occupying anymore he is very sleep oriented. Too hot to play yesterday so they were in from 10am-4pm and both just slept in the front room all day for that time, not bothered about having anything to do, they are like that quite a lot :eek:

7. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Awwww that's sooooo sweet bless him <3

8. GoldenShadow

Awwww that's well cute :laugh:

He can't be left with the crate door open in my room sadly as currently there is a big hole with wires sticking out, not even sure if they can cause a problem or not but I'd worry about him and the wires. When the cats eventually pass on I can probably stick his crate in the dining room and have my bedroom door shut to stop him going in there, think there is more chance of the cats going than my room getting sorted :rolleyes:

If Rupert is loose I will have to have the other dog loose really, other dog causes a bit of a stink sometimes and would create merry hell if he could hear Rupert walking about or anything :rolleyes:

So on will go Milo's toilet training...Its not like he's not toilet trained he is just a weird thing. Like if he needs to go, he wont go if he's enjoying himself and he will just piss wherever he is, be it the sofa, the floor or on Rupert if he is lying next to him :rolleyes::

Thing is if Rupert isn't happy with being left in the kitchen do you think he'd be happy being left with the whole house? If I could leave them both in there it'd be great, but Rupert seems to have this huge aversion to it...

9. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I didn`t take into consideration, your house is most likely different to mine and you also have 2 dogs etc lol

I think crating for 4/5 hours at a time isn`t as cruel as some will make it sound.
    So long as the dogs get a toilet break before and after they are crated, with some play to tire them out etc, they should be fine.
    You know your dogs better than others, and if you think they are happy with being crated while you go to work/uni etc, then its fine.

one thing you could try, as the younger gets older and his peeing is more under control lol

Put them both in the kitchen and say "WAIT, BACK IN A MINUTE"
    Then shut them in and walk away from the door and straight back... and give them treats/fuss for waiting.
    Keep doing this randomly through the day.

Hopefully, they will soon get the idea... BACK IN A MINUTE... means you will come back through the door and they geta fuss for doing nothing.

If they do well, try leaving them there for a minute and 2 minutes and 3 minutes... just make the length of time longer and longer each day.

Use this command for things like when you go to the toilet/have a bath/go to the shop/hang washing out etc etc

Ofcourse if you come back and they have done something they shouldnt have, just leave out the treat/fuss part. and try again later on.

It is something that worked for Sailor.

10. GoldenShadow

Yeah thanks. I could force Rupert into the kitchen if I wanted to but wont go for a treat so being a soft touch I crate him instead :eek:

Milo is being a bit pushy with him and there is the chance he just can't be arsed with Milo of late which is why he didn't want to go in last week, we shall see...

I think he may be in his crate most of the time when left at this rate, he just seems more content and willing to be there...

Its hard to win!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice