UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scanned my phone to get the number of the hydro for Alfie and stopped at one that said mum :crying:

She died nearly 2 years ago now but I can't take the number off either phone :eek:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I've still got my brothers on mine and his emails,he died 3 years ago past July but I can't bring myself to delete it,I've still got him on my messenger chat too

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Rona your post reminds me of my favourite poem. I first read it at school and it made such an impression on me.

Long Distance II

Though my mother was already two years dead
Dad kept her slippers warming by the gas,
put hot water bottles her side of the bed
and still went to renew her transport pass.

You couldn't just drop in. You had to phone.
He'd put you off an hour to give him time
to clear away her things and look alone
as though his still raw love were such a crime.

He couldn't risk my blight of disbelief
though sure that very soon he'd hear her key
scrape in the rusted lock and end his grief.
He knew she'd just popped out to get the tea.

I believe life ends with death, and that is all.
You haven't both gone shopping; just the same,
in my new black leather phone book there's your name
and the disconnected number I still call.

By Tony Harrison

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I kept my dads number for years... I uses to phone it everyday to listen to his answer phone message. The day it was cut off... I cried for hours.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
No because my phone broke the other day grrr!

But on Amazon I used to get my uni books delivered to my Nana and Papa's house. The first 'despatch to' address that comes up is theirs. I don't want to delete it so I just have to remember to select my home address instead every time I order from Amazon :eek:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Rona your post reminds me of my favourite poem. I first read it at school and it made such an impression on me.

Long Distance II

By Tony Harrison
My father passed away in 1985 my step mother still has his slippers by the door and his pipe in the ash tray where he left it :crying:

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Long Distance II

By Tony Harrison
Thank you for that. It's lovely :)
My father passed away in 1985 my step mother still has his slippers by the door and his pipe in the ash tray where he left it :crying:
:crying: :crying: :crying:
I have clothes my mother bought me and it's falling apart but I still wear it :eek:

this thread has made me cry,.......:(
Sorry

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
My late Father in law passed away suddenly due to an Aortic Aneurysm two years ago - my OH, SIL & MIL and myself still have his Mobile number on ours and none of us can't bear to delete it! :(

·
Registered
14,997 Posts
Bless you :( I think I would be the same ((()))) ....I know its not quite the same as a family member but my work colleage who died this year - I still have all our emails we sent each other - and I have his address book he used for his customers names all in his writing - I cant bin them and I will never delete the messages/emails either :(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thats what i did when my brother died, it seemed too final and i wasnt ready
It was really horrible :(

My dad technically died whilst working (he actually died at home on his lunch break) - because he worked so close to home they allowed him to go home during his lunch. The phone he had was a work phone and the boss allowed us to keep it and kept paying the contract for several months after so we could use it to contact everybody we needed too and make arrangements.

The DAY he died I got my first ever contract phone delivered in the morning.. the first ever picture I took on that phone was of my dad and the first video I ever took on it was of my dad. We were both gadget MAD so he wanted to be the first to test it out.. It was stolen by someone a few months after.. :cursing: I cried non stop for days. I had the photo saved on my computer and still to this day have multiple copies of it everywhere.. If you saw the photo you'd be so surprised to know that he died 5hrs after it was taken. :(

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It was really horrible :(

My dad technically died whilst working (he actually died at home on his lunch break) - because he worked so close to home they allowed him to go home during his lunch. The phone he had was a work phone and the boss allowed us to keep it and kept paying the contract for several months after so we could use it to contact everybody we needed too and make arrangements.

The DAY he died I got my first ever contract phone delivered in the morning.. the first ever picture I took on that phone was of my dad and the first video I ever took on it was of my dad. We were both gadget MAD so he wanted to be the first to test it out.. It was stolen by someone a few months after.. :cursing: I cried non stop for days. I had the photo saved on my computer and still to this day have multiple copies of it everywhere.. If you saw the photo you'd be so surprised to know that he died 5hrs after it was taken. :(
This is the thing when people steal things they may not be the most valuable thing in the world but they dont know if they hold priceless memories which cant be replaced, im so glad that you had saved that photo on your computer and you've got backups :)
i can hear my brother saying to me back it up,back it up,he worked in I.T and used to say i wouldnt believe how many people didnt do that so i must admit i am a bit obsessive now lol

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This is the thing when people steal things they may not be the most valuable thing in the world but they dont know if they hold priceless memories which cant be replaced, im so glad that you had saved that photo on your computer and you've got backups :)
i can hear my brother saying to me back it up,back it up,he worked in I.T and used to say i wouldnt believe how many people didnt do that so i must admit i am a bit obsessive now lol
Yes I'm exactly the same.. I'm obsessive about photos full stop.. My dad was too.. He actually scanned all our photos on to the computer and put them on a DVD as a slideshow. So it's all rubbed off on me now... I have about 500 photos of my cats and dogs.. on my mobile I got in January :p ... :blush2:

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bless you :( I think I would be the same ((()))) ....I know its not quite the same as a family member but my work colleage who died this year - I still have all our emails we sent each other - and I have his address book he used for his customers names all in his writing - I cant bin them and I will never delete the messages/emails either :(
My mother had a piece of cardboard next to her phone with all her important numbers on. It's in her handwriting and it lives with me now :)

Got my dads last bus pass and he died in 1989 :)
Also got a letter sent to all his platoon by his commanding officer at the end of WW2 :)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Although it is two years ago my FIL passed away unexpectedly and it happened at the vets. Ironically he'd taken in his elderly Cocker as it was off its' food so wanted to have the vet have a look at the dog. He was in the waiting area sitting down and the receptionist asked if he was okay as he'd gone a funny colour and just after he'd said that he felt fine, that was it - he collapsed there and then. The poor receptionist tried CPR after calling for the ambulance- the pararmedics were there for ages and the Vets closed the shop as they were conjoined with [email protected]
They were absolutely wonderful, they looked after the dog whilst making the awful phonecall to MIL, keeping the dog in overnight and having checked the dog, they waived the fee and to top it off, they sent us all a gorgeous bunch of flowers. We still use them and when either my OH or myself go in, they always ask how we are. Brings tears to my eyes it is so nice to know that there are still genuine caring people out there.

My motto is 'Embrace each day for it is not known what is around the corner'
:)

·
Registered
14,997 Posts
My mother had a piece of cardboard next to her phone with all her important numbers on. It's in her handwriting and it lives with me now :)

Got my dads last bus pass and he died in 1989 :)
Also got a letter sent to all his platoon by his commanding officer at the end of WW2 :)
Its nice to have things that can bring comfort :)xx

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
While clearing my Mothers home we found tucked in her drawer a cassette my Father had made once when she was ill, just talking and stuff, I remember him making it... My Father died 30 years ago. I have not plucked up the courage to play it yet!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.