Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have you ever?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by LizzyDrip, Jun 8, 2010.

1. LizzyDrip

LizzyDrip PetForums Junior

Hi there all
    The question is, have any of you experienced breeders or not so experienced ever had a bitch that you had put to stud then decided either by the way the bitch acted or didn,t as the case maybe,or the way they looked by size of abdomen, ect, or scanner/ vet said they weren,t pregnant that then went on to surprise you and produced a litter.

2. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

yep, years ago vet said she wasn't ( before scanning)went on to have 6 pups all over a pound in weight, he apologised when i told him and waived the fee for a clearing out jab.

3. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

Last time Jess was pregnant I got her scanned and they said she only had one at a push two she actually had six!

Not quite the same I know but I would never believe the vet scan again so didnt bother this time.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I don't think we've ever had a litter after being told she wasn't pregnant.... I think I've always known when we have a litter on the way after knowing we had mated the dog.

We have had some incredibly convincing phantoms where we though they were pregnant after mating but had either missed or reabsorbed.

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Like Tanya, I've seen an incredibly convincing phantom where I genuinely thought my boy must have got to my girl (even though I knew he hadn't).

I have however heard of people being told there are no pups and going on to have (albet small) litters.

6. LizzyDrip

LizzyDrip PetForums Junior

Many thanks to all that have replied:thumbup:

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A friend had a whippet that had been scanned and they said no pups. 3 days after the pups were due she started showing signs of being in labour. She was taken to the vets and scanned again she had 1 pup born by ceasarian.

Last year Freyja showed all the signs of being pregnant but no pups were born. She went through everything as if she was prenant even the temperature drop. We think she had reabsorbed the pups.

8. mel

mel PetForums Member

Ive never personally had pups after being told none i have had wrong amounts being told after a scan but think thats quite common...i have had one girl that used my boy at stud being confirmed in whelp at 4 weeks only for her to absorb the pups later :( x

9. 12jane

12jane PetForums Senior

I thought mine wasnt in pup, took her to the vets on 63 days as nothing was happening (she had a very convincing phantomn before) and he said she is in pup but only 1 or maybe 2, and a few hours later she had 6!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice