Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have you ever

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, May 28, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

considered NOT going to the vet because of what you may have to pay?

I ask this because I know many people who love their dogs, but do not go to the vet for problems such a ear infectiosn etc (as they are " not life threatening") because they don't want to pay.

Personally, even though we dont have pet insurance here, I have never ever ever once stopped to think about cost. It's almost like I block it out. Of course it's never a good feeling when your purse gets lighter, but it has never influenced any of my decisions.

2. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i`ll admit i`ve thought 'oh god how much is this gonna cost' but it`s never stopped me from going or made me think twice about going. if they need treatment and it`s gonna make them better then it`s worth every penny

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I've definitely wondered how much it will cost too:(:( but like you I would never not go because of this.

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Simba went to the vets on monday for stitches in a cut. I did wonder how much it would cost and I did wonder if I did really need to bother the vetif it was serious enough but as I couldn't stop the bleeding I phoned and took him in.

He went back yesterday and I saw what he had done for the first time. He has 2 cuts on the inside of his back leg both quite deep and needing 2 stitches in each so yes he did need to go in.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I've never not taken my dogs to the vet, I do think about the costs - but that's because I'd have to do some creative budgeting :)
    I have put back annual jabs for a month when another unexpected bill came in - but i'd never do that if medical care was needed.

6. SteveyP

SteveyP PetForums Member

I would never not take them but when one course of antibiotics for Oscar cost over £60 I can see why people are wary. They gave him an injection that cost £20 extra to the tablets and I would tell them to miss that out if he needed any more. If I went to the the docs for these I would expect tablets, not a needle as well so I consider that well over the top.

7. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I have never not gone to the vets or re considered going to the vets because of the cost it may be. I'll find the money and thats that. The only thing that makes me think 'shall I' is because it really stresses him so much and he gets in such a state, more often than not the Vet cannot examine or come near him anyway and I end up paying for my peace of mind more than anything it feels like!!!! But the relief upon leaving the Vets makes it worth it.

8. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

I think going to the vet is a ever increasingly pricey thing to do and I'm sure it puts some off, esp if you situation has just changed , I personally wouldn't but I can see and sympathise with those who are in that postion. what gets me is the over pricing of drugs ie I had a horse who had a eye infection, called vet, £18 call out fee, £20 to look at horse, £31.95 for the eye ointment, all with vat on top ( this was about 7 years ago ) the ointment was one I could have got over the counter at boots for £5.95 !! Yet the vets won't help you out there, I know they are a buisness but sometimes I think it's a license to print money

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im going to be the lone voice in the wilderness and say yes! I not only have thought about not going but I have not gone!:D
    At the mo I need ear mite treatment for 9 cats (for 2mths coz 1 mths worth didnt work) and Banjo has a wierd toe thing going on (doesnt bother him/look infected/or affect his day to day life).
    But Patrick is really not well and is staying with the vets for the weekend and will cost me nearly 300 pounds I imagine.:( The little things sometimes have to wait but I wouldnt leave one of them in pain or with a condition that was potentially life threatening no matter how much money I had.:(

10. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

I have to say no, but then i have a great vet, that doesnt rip me off.

A old work pal used to get ripped off left, right, and centre with her animals.

11. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

We never think twice! It costs what it costs :) Pups had afew problems and weve spent over £1500 on her since xmas, worth every penny for her to be back to normal.

Our vet mentions things we can save on though :eek: they give us vouchers for £5-£10 off puppys special food and the lovely vet we use mentioned that human Zantac is much better to use and cheaper then doggie Zantac. She was right in our case and the tablets were £10 from the vet and £2 from boots :p x

12. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

You're not alone.

I have done a few times just because money is so tight for me and as of right now i'm still paying a bill of £50 a month. Rusty recently got into a fight with a sharpei, instead of going to the vets for the mark in his ear I did home treatments. It probably could have done with a stitch or two but his ear is fine now just a keeloy type scar instead.

Spike went 3 years without visiting the vet, and the only reason for the last visit was for a weight check so I could get some frontline combo for him.

I don't enjoy not taking them to the vets but often my funds are very low and unless it's serious then I won't go.

13. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I must admit that our vet is excellent and I have never felt that he has ripped us off. He doesn't charge for consults, only for the price of the drugs (very reasonable (5-10 euro). Injections (vaccination or otherwise are 15-20 euro depending). So this definitely helps. I also know he would never suggest an unecessary procedure in order to fill his pocket and always has animal's best interest at heart.
    But I think even our vet was unreasonbaly expensive, I would probably still go if needed without second thoughts.

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think for the urgent stuff wher they are obviously ill/injured/in pain you dont think twice but alot of treatment is so expensive and if you dont have insurance coupled with a terrible vet who overcharges and demands payment straight away it can put you in a difficult situation.:(
    (wow, that was a long sentance!!):D

15. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

I have but its not for the reason ofmoney. Geordie usually freaks out at the vets and I feel its much kinder to treat her myself if its a cut thats not too deep etc than to have her going through the stress of going to the vets (and the 20 min bus ride there and back). Obviously if it was anywhat serious and was causing her considerable pain then I wouldnt hesitate. My vets are good though and I can phone up and since they know what shes like they will ive good advice over he phone and usually suggest what would be the best thing to do and have said quite often to not bring her in unless it deteriorates.

Some vets are just money grabbers though. £50 for boosters at one vets near me, whereas another vets is £30 for the exact same jag :eek:

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

First time i ever took Tiggr to the vets after i moved in was when she had Pyo.. cost over £350 and OH is disabled so they let us pay over 3 months. They were extortionate but i didn't know of any others around the area and it was pretty urgent.

Found out after through OH's friends about the Pet Vaccination Clinic.. bit further away but a lot easier on the purse. Thats where i take them all now.. They dealt with Harley and his poo problems when i first had him, thats now solved.

Only thing i didn't take Harley up for was his flaky skin.. think it was Hobbs who said to try evening primrose oil and its done the trick.. Sorting out his poo probs had already put me short for the month so couldn't afford to pay out again if it turned out to be minor and could be sorted out at home.

17. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ive always taken my dogs to the vets for whatever their problem was, would go without myself if cost came into it.

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

When I took Heidi for Diarrhoea the &*^%ing vets charged me 14 squid consultation fee a day for antibiotic injections!!:eek: Its actually 5 pound cheaper for them to keep Patrick in overnight!!!
    :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice