UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im in court in 22days after witnessing a drink driver crash into 3 cars and then crash into one car 2 after while trying to get away. The women is saying she was not driving despite me having a 10min conversation with her while she was sitting behind the steering wheel of the car, then i was almost run over by her as she reversed up the road with me caught in the door. Before she drove 100 yards around the corner parked up and i watched her walk into a house a few doors down.

Police arrested her etc...

I am getting stressed out about it, i dont do situations like this well at all and im becoming very very scared of it and esp reprisals they know where i live 5 doors down from them :eek:

Just in a sense wish i kept my mouth shut. which is wrong :(

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Im in court in 22days after witnessing a drink driver crash into 3 cars and then crash into one car 2 after while trying to get away. The women is saying she was not driving despite me having a 10min conversation with her while she was sitting behind the steering wheel of the car, then i was almost run over by her as she reversed up the road with me caught in the door. Before she drove 100 yards around the corner parked up and i watched her walk into a house a few doors down.

Police arrested her etc...

I am getting stressed out about it, i dont do situations like this well at all and im becoming very very scared of it and esp reprisals they know where i live doors down from them :eek:

Just in a sense wish i kept my mouth shut. which is wrong :(
Have you spoke to your liason officer about your concerns??

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I wouldnt normally report a crime either. The last time I did, not long ago, I felt I was treated like a criminal, all my details taken. Won`t be reporting in future. I only made the alllegation after a lad at the gym seriously threatened both my friend and myself. I wasnt prepared to let him get away with it. He got a visit from a woman copper and some severe words of advice.

I did have a Met copper come and intimidate me at work back in the summer and immediately reported it to Sussex police, who told me to "take it up with the Met". I didnt bother. Gave a statement to my employer too, who did nothing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt normally report a crime either. The last time I did, not long ago, I felt I was treated like a criminal, all my details taken. Won`t be reporting in future. I only made the alllegation after a lad at the gym seriously threatened both my friend and myself. I wasnt prepared to let him get away with it. He got a visit from a woman copper and some severe words of advice.

I did have a Met copper come and intimidate me at work back in the summer and immediately reported it to Sussex police, who told me to "take it up with the Met". I didnt bother. Gave a statement to my employer too, who did nothing.
It is with Sussex police they been ok, there annoyed as it seemed so open and shut.

But the lady keeps her license until court date as she still presumed innocent. :mad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell them you want to withdraw your statement. They won`t like you for it though.
nah as it means she gets to stay on the road. What if she gets drunk and hits another moving car or a kid on the street wouldnt forgive myself

I got to go through with it, but feel sick doing it with nervs

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
I think you should express your concerns to the police & see if anyone can help give you some advice.

I don't think you should withdraw your statement - you are doing the right thing as difficult as you are finding it. It is a duty of all of us to report offenses especially ones that could involve people being seriously hurt or killed (as drink driving can be).

I reported my neighbour for exactly the same offense. He used to come home from work almost paralytic. there were children playing ion the cul-de-sac & he could easily have knocked one over so I called the police. I couldn't have lived with myself if he had have hurt anyone & I had sat back & done nothing.

How would you feel if you withdrew your statement & the lady continued to drink & drive?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you should express your concerns to the police & see if anyone can help give you some advice.

I don't think you should withdraw your statement - you are doing the right thing as difficult as you are finding it. It is a duty of all of us to report offenses especially ones that could involve people being seriously hurt or killed (as drink driving can be).

I reported my neighbour for exactly the same offense. He used to come home from work almost paralytic. there were children playing ion the cul-de-sac & he could easily have knocked one over so I called the police. I couldn't have lived with myself if he had have hurt anyone & I had sat back & done nothing.

How would you feel if you withdrew your statement & the lady continued to drink & drive?
I would never withdraw it, just the feeling of nervousness i have.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I have attempted to withdraw a statment and asked not to go to court but was told that if you are summond to court you have no choice but to go.

Your liason officer should make sure you feel safe and in a way happy about it all so they are not doing their job right. You are not the criminal and therefore should be treated as such. Make sure you very clearly tell them that you fear reprecussions and that you would like to know what steps they are going to take to make sure you are kept safe

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I was a witness in a case against a carer who was stealing from the elderly people with dementia she was supposed to be looking after. She stole around £8,000 from my mother. There weren't any direct threats but I got some very strange and rather intimidating phone calls just before it came to court - these didn't refer to the case but I thought it was her partner. I was nervous about being a witness of course, but when I got into the witness box, I relished every second of it and the bitch got sent down for 18 months.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Yeah I wished I hadn't bothered the police when my car was stolen, only took them 4 days, and I had to retrieve it myself!

What you are doing is brave, and she should not be allowed on the road!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If this is of any help.......As an ex store detective when we were challenged regarding incidents we were told : Stick to your statement, don't expand/ over elaborate or second guess why the person did what they did. Be honest and if you need to think about a question, don't be afraid to do so.

You may find that they may well plead guilty even as late as on the day of any trial.

Your liaison officer should also be able to go through your statement with you so that you are comfortable with it. They should also walk you through the incident with you, without adding anything themselves.

It may be worth your while writing down what you remember, saw, heard etc so that it can clear from your head and make it easier for you to cope with. When we had to give a statement to the police, we also had to write a statement out for our company. Doing this helped if the incident was taken to court.

If it's any consolation......the woman involved will possibly be 10 times more scared than you as she has broken the law.

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
Yes!

It's made me realise I can't save the world or make it any better than it is.
It was a futile notion even believing I could.

As long as the criminal element leave me alone in the future, I'm quite prepared to turn a blind eye to all of their nefarious activities.

Nocturnal or otherwise. :yesnod:

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
I was a witness in a case against a carer who was stealing from the elderly people with dementia she was supposed to be looking after. She stole around £8,000 from my mother. There weren't any direct threats but I got some very strange and rather intimidating phone calls just before it came to court - these didn't refer to the case but I thought it was her partner. I was nervous about being a witness of course, but when I got into the witness box, I relished every second of it and the bitch got sent down for 18 months.
What a horrible woman, how can people do this to others they are supposed to be caring for :(

Am glad that you were able to continue & get some comfort knowing you helped send her to prison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.