Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have you ever wished you kept silent on a crime?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by seanmac, Nov 1, 2012.

1. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

Im in court in 22days after witnessing a drink driver crash into 3 cars and then crash into one car 2 after while trying to get away. The women is saying she was not driving despite me having a 10min conversation with her while she was sitting behind the steering wheel of the car, then i was almost run over by her as she reversed up the road with me caught in the door. Before she drove 100 yards around the corner parked up and i watched her walk into a house a few doors down.

Police arrested her etc...

I am getting stressed out about it, i dont do situations like this well at all and im becoming very very scared of it and esp reprisals they know where i live 5 doors down from them :eek:

Just in a sense wish i kept my mouth shut. which is wrong :(

#1 seanmac, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

Have you spoke to your liason officer about your concerns??

3. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

I wouldnt normally report a crime either. The last time I did, not long ago, I felt I was treated like a criminal, all my details taken. Won`t be reporting in future. I only made the alllegation after a lad at the gym seriously threatened both my friend and myself. I wasnt prepared to let him get away with it. He got a visit from a woman copper and some severe words of advice.

I did have a Met copper come and intimidate me at work back in the summer and immediately reported it to Sussex police, who told me to "take it up with the Met". I didnt bother. Gave a statement to my employer too, who did nothing.

4. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

yeah i have and due to my health there are some things there putting on if im in a bad place on the day.

But im still really nervous about it bricking it tbh:(

5. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

It is with Sussex police they been ok, there annoyed as it seemed so open and shut.

But the lady keeps her license until court date as she still presumed innocent. :mad:

6. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Tell them you want to withdraw your statement. They won`t like you for it though.

7. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

nah as it means she gets to stay on the road. What if she gets drunk and hits another moving car or a kid on the street wouldnt forgive myself

I got to go through with it, but feel sick doing it with nervs

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I think you should express your concerns to the police & see if anyone can help give you some advice.

I don't think you should withdraw your statement - you are doing the right thing as difficult as you are finding it. It is a duty of all of us to report offenses especially ones that could involve people being seriously hurt or killed (as drink driving can be).

I reported my neighbour for exactly the same offense. He used to come home from work almost paralytic. there were children playing ion the cul-de-sac & he could easily have knocked one over so I called the police. I couldn't have lived with myself if he had have hurt anyone & I had sat back & done nothing.

How would you feel if you withdrew your statement & the lady continued to drink & drive?

9. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

I would never withdraw it, just the feeling of nervousness i have.

10. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

I have attempted to withdraw a statment and asked not to go to court but was told that if you are summond to court you have no choice but to go.

Your liason officer should make sure you feel safe and in a way happy about it all so they are not doing their job right. You are not the criminal and therefore should be treated as such. Make sure you very clearly tell them that you fear reprecussions and that you would like to know what steps they are going to take to make sure you are kept safe

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Good for you!! :thumbsup:

Have you spoken to the police about your concerns?

12. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

yes not really alot they have to say, im the only witness so i have to give evidence. There is talk about behind a wall but i find that pointless as they know me

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I was a witness in a case against a carer who was stealing from the elderly people with dementia she was supposed to be looking after. She stole around £8,000 from my mother. There weren't any direct threats but I got some very strange and rather intimidating phone calls just before it came to court - these didn't refer to the case but I thought it was her partner. I was nervous about being a witness of course, but when I got into the witness box, I relished every second of it and the bitch got sent down for 18 months.

14. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Yeah I wished I hadn't bothered the police when my car was stolen, only took them 4 days, and I had to retrieve it myself!

What you are doing is brave, and she should not be allowed on the road!

15. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

If this is of any help.......As an ex store detective when we were challenged regarding incidents we were told : Stick to your statement, don't expand/ over elaborate or second guess why the person did what they did. Be honest and if you need to think about a question, don't be afraid to do so.

You may find that they may well plead guilty even as late as on the day of any trial.

Your liaison officer should also be able to go through your statement with you so that you are comfortable with it. They should also walk you through the incident with you, without adding anything themselves.

It may be worth your while writing down what you remember, saw, heard etc so that it can clear from your head and make it easier for you to cope with. When we had to give a statement to the police, we also had to write a statement out for our company. Doing this helped if the incident was taken to court.

If it's any consolation......the woman involved will possibly be 10 times more scared than you as she has broken the law.

16. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Yes!

It's made me realise I can't save the world or make it any better than it is.
    It was a futile notion even believing I could.

As long as the criminal element leave me alone in the future, I'm quite prepared to turn a blind eye to all of their nefarious activities.

Nocturnal or otherwise. :yesnod:

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

What a horrible woman, how can people do this to others they are supposed to be caring for :(

Am glad that you were able to continue & get some comfort knowing you helped send her to prison.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice