Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have you ever seen a box turtle laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by O2.0, Jul 2, 2019.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Now you have :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't want to get too close and disturb her, Bates had already sniffed her and I got him away quickly then tried to quietly take pictures, but felt we should leave her be :)

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Lovely photos. I hope all her eggs hatch and the babies survive.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh I do too! The nest is on our property, no where near any human traffic other than me and my family, Bates and the cats will leave her and her eggs alone, so I can only hope her nest is safe from regular predation. That I leave up to the wisdom of Mother Nature :)

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

If you manage to be there when they hatch i would love to see photos. So glad they are on your property. They stand a much better chance if survival :)

#4 kittih, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would love to see it, but at the same time I would hate to disturb the process.
    Apparently it will take about 70 days for the babies to hatch and depending on conditions, they may over winter in the nest. It's all so fascinating!

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

It would be fascinating to see.That would be something I would set up a trail cam for. I am tempted to buy one for my own garden just,to see what passes through. They are quite cheap nowadays. But we don't get anything as exciting as turtle nests.

7. raysmyheart

raysmyheart PetForums Senior

Oh, I love turtles and this one is so beautiful @O2.0 !
    I have never seen a turtle laying the eggs, but last year I did see (at the pond I visit) a turtle digging in the soil to make the nest.
    I have not witnessed it this year and I'm sure I missed it, but now when I visit, I am very careful where I step on the top of the banking of the water, as I am now aware this is where the nests are this time of year.

Isn't it amazing how long the babies stay in the eggs? I just searched and learned about the "egg tooth" a turtle uses to break the shell from the inside when they are ready to emerge. Fascinating!

It is good that the nest is on your property @O2.0 , away from high traffic.

I would be glad to hear any updates. Thank you for posting these great photos!

8. raysmyheart

Thanks so much for the interesting photos of this beautiful turtle @O2.0 :) Do you see any of the turtles often these days?

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh yes, we see tons of turtles this time of year. Mostly around here we see box turtles, but nearer larger bodies of water there are all sorts of varieties.
    Out on trails I probably see a turtle every other time, they're very common, which is lovely to see. Box turtles are protected here :)

raysmyheart likes this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

25934DAE-04AC-4914-8610-E1212ACF8E24.jpeg 7BFFF82B-8CC2-4ED4-A112-A83F64271B5A.jpeg

I'm positive this is not one of the hatchlings from the nest I saw, but it is a baby :)
    Saw this guy on our driveway yesterday (and yes, I moved him to the grass in the direction he was traveling).
    Good to see the box turtle population thriving.

Valanita, kittih and raysmyheart like this.
  11. raysmyheart

Oh, this little guy is so precious @O2.0 :) As I was scrolling, I saw the first photo and thought maybe he was medium-sized, but then I saw him in comparison to the hand in the photo and I can now see he is truly a tiny baby! Yes, It is wonderful to hear that these turtles are thriving.
    I see that he has a lot of color and pattern to his shell already, I guess the coloring appears at a young age which is something I didn't realize.

Thanks for such a great photo and I look forward to any updates on these beautiful Creatures in your yard.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice