Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have you ever...(rat related)

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, May 26, 2010.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Attempted an intro with adult male rats? or have you got any advice or tips if I wanted to possibly try it. I imagine it wouldnt be easy but can it be done?

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think it would be much harder than a female intro TBH unless one of the males is especially aggressive. Haven't tried it myself but do let us know how you get on as we are probably going to add more boys to the Dynamic Duo we've got (Lennon & Irwin) at some point in the future so it would be good to hear your experiences etc:)

3. thedogsmother

What do you mean let you know how I get on, are you insinuating that I have seen a rat(s) in need of a good home and am weighing up the possibillity of taking him/them on, how very dare you ;). I am still at the thinking about it stage really, I have my two little boys from the huge rat rescue on reserve so if I did it I would like to have the cage well settled for when they arrive. I think my oh is feeling a bit sorry for me so hes already given it the ok if its possible to do. I dont have any aggressive rats but Bitsy can be a bit teenagerish occasionally.

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope I was insinuating nothing at allSinging: I know how much you don't like rats:D nor do I come to that. Filthy things!
    This may be helpful:)
    Care Guide: Introducing Rats

thedogsmother likes this.
  5. thedogsmother

Oooh very useful link thankies, apparently it is hard to intro adult males but I think it might be worth a try. I will have to see how it goes, obviously hyperthetically speaking:D.

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

your secrets safe with me;)...........................
    ........................& several thousand PF members:D

7. thedogsmother

Phew, I cant tell you what a relief that is :lol:.

8. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

I personally find intros with Bucks much easier than Does.

My main group of boys is currently 22 of all different ages, so yes it can be done ;)

Best thing to do is intro them on neutral ground when freeranging, see how they are with each other, and then move to enclosed spaces..ie small cage so they have to interact, touch etc till they aere comfortable with each other.

A distraction of some nice wet smelly foods in the cage works too usually, and just work from there with no cage furniture so they cant `guard` anything, and then gradually increase they space they get and furnish the cage.

Im very lazy now though, and just bung them in the cage, and my existing boys dont bat an eyelid anymore :lol:

thedogsmother likes this.
  9. thedogsmother

Ooooh Im so glad you said that, Im much more confident now. Would you think taking my alpha boy to meet them first would be a good idea?

10. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

iam currently in the process of introducing my two boys to two of my babies i have placed both cages next to each other as close as i could possibly get them so they can reach through and touch each other i then let them out on the bed together or let them have a climb on me i tried just putting the babies in the same cage as my boys but charlie wasnt too happy about it and wouldnt let the babies out from the corner so i took them back out for fear of the fat boy hurting them he is a clumbsy lump he wouldnt intentionaly harm them but he gets too giddy like an excited child and the youngsters needs to learn that his tail is not food but iam taking it as their speed snd not rushing anything another thing when introducing is once putting them in a cage together put them in a fresh cage thats been washed off all scent marking smells and dont put any off the rats favourate toys beds in ect because this could cause them to behave territorally over them and cause fights as i found out charlie loves his igloo and wouldnt let the babies near it he was like ITS MINE GET OUT GRRRRRRR! LOL but anyway goodluck keep me posted on how you get on and if you find any advice that you think is good please tell me because iam sill in the middle of intros good luck

11. thedogsmother

Im going to have a look at them tomorrow so no doubt I will be coming home with them, they do need a new home and Im a sucker for a sob story and those big ratty eyes:eek:.

12. thedogsmother

Well they are here and they are lovely and my boys love love love them, even naughty Bitsy is happy with them, I started with the rats who I knew were the least dominant, the previous owners knew their rats very well so they were able to tell me the pecking order of the three newbies. I think 3 is a good number as they are a big enough group to not be easily picked on but I am flippin gobsmacked how (touch wood) well its gone so far. I put them in the bath and added one rat at a time (most submissive up to the most dominant) till only naughty Bitsy was left then towel in hand I added him ready to pounce when he starts a fight, by this time everyone had rolled in the plate of tuna and everyone smelt the same and he just acted like the three newbies had always been there. They are all in the explorer, well half of it for the time being, they are all asleep in the hammocks all mixed up naked and furry together. Now I just need to find somewhere to put the Furplast Jennie that they came in.

13. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

just keep an eye on them incase bitsy turns as u never no!

and keep the jenny rat cage incase it goes pear shaped.

but from the sounds of it it looks to be going great,i know my adult boys the one of them hates newbies and would puff up like a bog brush,hiss and then bite there bums!!
    any of them signs and its bad bad bad.

WE NEED PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

14. thedogsmother

Sorry I dont belive in taking pictures, it steals their souls:lol:, ok ok I will get some uploaded in a minute. I am watching them like a hawk but Bitsy is making me a very proud mummy at the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice