UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had friends here last night and Hubby mentioned something that had fallen out of my head completely.

It must have been 7 years ago as we had our 4 dogs at the time, I was cooking a chicken (anyone who knows me would know that that is quite a memorable thing for me to be doing ;) ) I hear a woof out the back, ignore it, woof again, quick head count and all ours are in the house. Woof, woof again so I go out and open the back gate for a nosey, there's this straggly looking lurcher type dog sat on the back step, he trots past me, goes into the house, gets up on the couch and goes to sleep :Yawn: :eek:

Hubby and me are looking at him then at each other, the dogs are looking as if to say "where the flip has he come from?" :confused:

He was wearing a yellow collar and when we look it had the dogs trust (might have still been NCDL back then) I rang them telling them we've found a really thin, bad condition dog on the step (I thought someone must have rehomed him then dumped him) the lady told me they were missing a dog, he'd escaped from the kennels a few hours before, they are around 10 miles from us so poor thing had covered some miles, a man from the rescue came and collected him a couple of hours later. It just seemed really odd to us that he would travel all that way and end up sitting on our back step :confused:

I did try to convince Hubby that it was a sign and that he should come and live with us but had to agree with him that 4 dogs were enough for us to manage.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Once. We were on our way to my 20 week scan at the hospital (so not that long ago!) and on a main road a small JR was running along. Was very scared and 2 cars had stopped but he wouldn't go near the people, so they drove off and left him.

We pulled over, hubby got out of the car and the dog went straight over to him. Picked him up and put him in the boot and headed to the hospital (he settled down quite quickly!). Hubby dropped me off and headed to nearest vets to see if he was chipped (he wasn't) then phoned dog warden. Dog warden wouldnt meet us where he was as "was out of their area" so hubby had to drive back home (to dog wardens area) and wait for them to collect.

In the meantime i had gone in for scan. Baby was difficult so had to go for walk, by which point hubby had made it back to hospital in time for re-scan. So luckily he didnt miss the scan, but he could have.

Poor dog was never claimed, so it went to a no-kill rescue for rehoming. Was a lovely little thing. We think it was a traveller dog.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I found a German Shepard x whilst out riding my horse,
He followed me back to the farm I put him in my tack room whilst I put my horse away then I put a leadrope round him
And got the bus to the vets, he wasn't microchipped and was so friendly I rang
My oh to say they were going to put him to sleep lol they weren't but I knew he would let me bring him home... Which I did, to his house.
We put adverts up for his owners to come and get him but
Nothing happened, he had all sores on him like he had been flung from a car.

The dog was great so friendly,well trained, very good at protecting the house but my oh dad had just passed away and his mum didn't want the dog to stay any longer.

As luck would have it I was at work and a girl said her mum was looking for a medium sized dog as it was just the 2 women at home most of the time she came to see him and they still have him now :)

·
Still missing my boys
42,317 Posts
Had two Black Labs here over new year a few years ago. Found them running around on a road and the owners, when we eventually found them, moaned because we'd taken them home and said they were too busy to pick them up :mad:

They went to the warden in the morning who knew the dogs well :(

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
When I was a kid, I used to find dogs all the time :lol: I used to carry a lead around with me all the time and I was ALWAYS bringing stray dogs home, it must have driven my parents mental :lol: :lol: but I did manage to make a few happy reunions, one family had been frantically searching for their dog after he'd gone missing a couple of days before, and another lady didn't even know her little poodle had gone missing, she'd left him in the garden on a nice day and he'd escaped through a gap in the fence!

And my dad is a police officer so he sometimes comes home with a stray - the most recent one was a very large Golden Retriever, my dad brought him home but Tiger wasn't keen on him, so my boyfriend at the time offered to keep him over night, the owner finally reported the dog missing in the middle of the night after my dad had found him at about 7pm (plus however long the dog had been wandering before that) and the owner didn't seem to care.... she was having a party and someone must have left the door or gate open and he'd escaped. And guess what her reaction was when my dad and his colleauge took him back? She just said "You should be out catching criminals and stopping crime, not picking dogs up" ....they never got a single thanks from her and she just shoved the dog back outside again :nonod:

·
Registered
758 Posts
A couple of times, recently I spotted a JRT running around and took him to the vets, he didn't have a tag or microchip :( so he went to the local rescue but luckily got picked up quickly by his family.

Recently I've spotted a tan/black fluffy terrier type dog (I have no idea of the breed at all) but it's always been with Bo so it wanders off, I think I know where it lives but it winds me up that it's constantly wandering on a road where people go quite quickly as it's one-way with no tag or collar. I've taken to carrying a spare lead in case I see it again. If I ever see the owner they'll get a piece of my mind :mad: :sneaky2:. It's fur was clipped last time I saw it so someone's taking care of it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yes. This little critter on the side of the road tied up.

We'd just put down a deposit on puppy Rosie, when we found baby Ringo and adopted him after he did his 7 day stint at the pound. The vets told us that locally, a litter of pug x jrts had been bred on a farm for some extra cash, as at the same time as Ringo 3 others that looked the same of the same age had turned up for vaccinations etc, so we think that's what he is too.

I'm glad we found him. I'd never have thought to buy a JRT x but he's ace.

·
Registered
779 Posts
when i was in my teens i remember finding a collie wandering around was in a right mess bless it had a puppy chain collar on (this dog was nolonger a puppy) also had what looked like whip marks on his bk :( was enough to break your heart.i lived in a small village but no one seemed to know anything about him.
the dog warden ended up coming for him,after myself my mum and dad and a neighbour mangaged to cut off the horrible puppy collar that was strangling him,he did get a new home bless him ,i wanted to take him but at the time my mum had just adpoted a collie x from the rspca and he didnt get on with other dogs so unfortunatly we couldnt :(

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. This little critter on the side of the road tied up.

We'd just put down a deposit on puppy Rosie, when we found baby Ringo and adopted him after he did his 7 day stint at the pound. The vets told us that locally, a litter of pug x jrts had been bred on a farm for some extra cash, as at the same time as Ringo 3 others that looked the same of the same age had turned up for vaccinations etc, so we think that's what he is too.

I'm glad we found him. I'd never have thought to buy a JRT x but he's ace.
Aw how could anyone do that :mad: So glad it had a happy ending :D

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
A long time ago, we went to visit my Aunt in Devon and one morning an Irish Wolfhound just wandered into the lounge. I Said to her, "There's a dog, a big wolf thingamy behind you!", oddly enough she didn't believe me!

Turned out it belonged to one of her neighbours, further down the village and just took a detour :D
He was a dear chap :)

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Dad used to come home with strays all the time he would help them back on their feet and find them forever homes ( this was before chipping and dog wardens)
Once he took a GSD from its scrapyard owner by threats of legal or other :devil: action. She was called Juile and a bag of bones her fur was falling out in clumps they guy saw dad a few days later and gave dad some paperwork for her, it turned out to be her pedigree papers her parents were crufts champs!!!!!
Why this guy had bought her was anyones guess .. Dad got her back to health and trained her for security work..

Weve had several dogs wander in .. stay a day and then be reunited all except Remy ..The dog who wouldnt go..
My son found him in a field ..We tired to re home him but he had SA he howled if anyone left him alone even for a second, he was destructive and wee'd all over everyones houses except ours here he settled in next to Oscar and Benny never whinged or whined never wet or destroyed anything ..

So Remy has been with us for 6 years and is still a bit of a velcro dog...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Yes...a week before Christmas we were driving home having just recieved awful news from the GP..dreading Christmas...we found a little Jack Russell running around at the roadside in the snow in a panic.

Took him home thinking his owner must be local, informed the wardens etc. It turned out no-one knew him and the warden decided after a week he'd been dumped. He was staying with us "until we found the owner" because we didn't like the idea of the little frightened old guy in kennels.

Still got Shorty nearly two years and several hefty vet bills later! He saved our Christmas, best present ever :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
driving along one day and there was a dog in the road, fortunately cars had stopped and I'd a crate in mine so I just scooped him up and someone said 'there's a rescue just up the road' so I drove there and there was another car and a couple saying 'there's a loose dog up the road' and I said 'not anymore, he's here' to their amazement, so I left him with them :)

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
And my dad is a police officer so he sometimes comes home with a stray - the most recent one was a very large Golden Retriever, my dad brought him home but Tiger wasn't keen on him, so my boyfriend at the time offered to keep him over night, the owner finally reported the dog missing in the middle of the night after my dad had found him at about 7pm (plus however long the dog had been wandering before that) and the owner didn't seem to care.... she was having a party and someone must have left the door or gate open and he'd escaped. And guess what her reaction was when my dad and his colleauge took him back? She just said "You should be out catching criminals and stopping crime, not picking dogs up" ....they never got a single thanks from her and she just shoved the dog back outside again :nonod:
that's disgusting:mad:I would have taken the dog back home with me.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Ive found a couple over the years. The first was a little old crossbreed, In the days where police stations would still take them in. Couldnt get hold of the Dog warden so I took him there. Turned out his old owner was in hospital and the son was looking after him and managed to lose him. The police station rang to tell me as I had asked them to let me know if he had been claimed, as if he wasnt I knew an old lady who had lost her dog fairly recently and he may be a good match if she wanted to take him on.

The second was a little Yorkie who I found soaking wet and not weight baring on his leg. Couldnt get hold of the dog warden as usual, so I took him to my vet. He had luxating patellas on all knees and a broken leg. The next day I got hold of the dog warden who had in fact been on holiday the day I found him and had no cover. he said that he had funding if unclaimed for vet treatment but would have to get authorisation. Came back and said that the powers that be, as a member of the public had picked him up they wouldnt intervene. I contacted Yorkie rescue and they said they didnt have funding for the vet bills, but would take him in do the after care and rehome. So I told my vet if he wasnt claimed dont PTS if necessary I would pay and then get him to rescue. They said that they would do the necessary Op and I wouldnt have to pay.

Unfortunately it didnt end with a happy story as, the leg was so smashed it couldnt be repaired and amputation wasnt an option as his luxating patellas were so bad he couldnt cope on 3 legs, so he was PTS. I felt absolutely heartbroken and terrible.

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
aww, poor Yorkie.:(
Ive found 2 since getting my dogs, both whilst out walking them.
One Westie who followed us all the way around on our walk and thankfully had his address on his collar so I could reunite him quickly with his worried owner.
The other was a rather tubby ESS who was running in the road. I had to take him straight home rather then look for an owner coz he pulled like a train and I was finding it difficult with him and my 3 also. Got through to the dog warden and the owner picked him up from my place within the hour.:)

TBH round here stray dogs arent stray for long as they tend to belong to frantic owners! Wether its a posh couple in a nice house or a homeless drunk people seem to really love their dogs!:D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have...

First were the two Labs who burst into my garden :rolleyes: They had no collars on, so me and my neighbour got a spare collar of Jakes (it was the only one big enough to fit around their neck... they were very overweight), and I had to use a harness to get a lead on the other one. The park is only a few minutes away, so we took them down there in case they had run off... We only met a teenager down there, who didn't know who the dogs were but asked if he could have one :eek: We, obviously, said no and went up to the vets to get them scanned... the vet refused, so we then had to walk up to the police station. Once we got their we were told that that station didn't have kennels so we needed to take them to Wishaw or Bellshill police station. We would have had to get a bus there, so my neighbour went off on one and told them that they are not our dogs, and not our responsibility so we would not be doing that. He eventually agreed to get a van to pick them up.

We waited with them (the police officer asked us to since they didn't have kennels) and while waiting the frantic owner called. So, she came to collect them :D It turns out the owners left the dogs in the garden while at work, and they had managed to burst into the neighbours garden, and his gate was open... they had managed to cross a VERY busy road though.

Then, I found a GSD. I was in my jammies and my dad called to say a skinny GSD was running about the road... so, me being me, I grad a lead and collar, some dog biscuits and run out to find the dog (Yep, still in my jammies :eek:). I followed the dog and trying to usher her away from the main road, and she eventually went into the golf course... I then spent an hour chasing her around the golf course (with angry golfers shouting at me that dogs aren't allowed there... I ended up get very short with them, telling them that she is not mine :eek: not one offered to help... god forbid anything interfered with their game of golf!). Eventually she lay down on the middle of the grass (cue some very funny looks), she kept closing her eyes, looking absolutely shattered. I tossed some biscuits at her, trying to gain her trust, and she was so hungry... She looked starved. I managed to get a collar and lead on her and took her home... Oh, she was such a sweetheart... just beautiful.

I called the dog warden who said she had a report of the missing GSD. She came to collect the dog, and even she was appalled at the dogs condition, I thought she may have been missing for week... but no, she had only been missing from the night before. We think, going by where she went missing from, and the distance traveled, that she must have been on the go all night. The dog warden called the owner, and she said she was out shopping, and asked if the dog could be dropped off later! :eek: The dog warden got very angry, and told her that if she wanted to get her dog later she could but it would cost her the kennel fees... the owner then agreed to get home to be there when she arrived. I was fuming though, I spent sooooo long trying to catch this dog, and her owners couldn't even be bothered to look for her!

Then, we had the gorgeous Meg. A beautiful BC who again, was running around the road with no collar. I was in the car with OH, so he dropped me off (we were outside me house) and he took the car to park. I just called to the dog, and she came running to me, snuggling up to me legs! I took her in the garden, and called the dog warden. Again, the dog warden had had a call about her so came to pick her up. Jake and Meg loved each other, they were amazing together :) Turns out, she works on a farm at the back of the golf course (the same one that I was at catching the GSD) and dirt bikes drove by, and she bolted... Poor girl, and that explains the lack of collar too. She was divine though, such a sweet girl and soooooo beautiful...

I didn't find this last dog, but a neighbour did. She was a Husky x GSD, and they found her a couple miles away and took her home. They decided to keep her, which didn't sit right with me, but the grandson had fallen in love with her so nothing I said was listened to. A few days later, I noticed I had an email from Doglost... and it was this girl. She had bolted when she heard fireworks, and just took off... she ended up at the other side of town. I then had the unfortunate job of breaking the news to my neighbours... they were reluctant to give her back, and kept making excuses about her condition. They did call the owners though, and they got on really well. The owners told them that she came from Ayr, and had come from a puppy farm but they couldn't leave her there. She spent the first 3 weeks home in the vets, extremely unwell and on a drip. They obviously adored her, so my neighbours gave her back... the grandson was devastated though, after being told she was his (big mistake! IMO). Happy ending for the dog and owners though :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Fairly often I have to say.
I've lost count over the years!

There was Pepper a great big fat golden retriever, kept him over night. Till his owners came for him.
A little black shih tzu cross type.
Rottie (in the city centre, terrified running in front of buses and traffic- had what looked like deliberate cuts across his muzzle :( Got hold of him with the help of City Bus Tours)

Most recently (bit over a year ago I think) I was coming home from the cinema about midnight and saw a beagle making it's way down the road. Drove back and collected him, called his owner and reunited him about half an hour later. They had been out looking for him but answered the phone eventually after about 15 calls!

·
Registered
304 Posts
As it's hunting season here I find a Podenco a day unfortunately:mad:

I've referred to it before, the hunters can't be arsed waiting so just leave them up in the mountains and the dogs find thier way down onto the main road to be knocked over or cause accidents as they aren't at all traffic-savvy:mad:

·
Registered
188 Posts
On Good Friday this year I found a JRT x ... he was just trotting up our road (on a quiet estate).

Vet scanned & found microchip but details out of date. Had clearly been a stray for a while but had a great little personality & we knew his name was Milo. We fostered him for the bank holiday weekend and toyed with keeping him but although Q didn't dislike him he wasn't her mate for life!

Thanks to Milo though we soon went to Dogs Trust where Q did find her playmate for life ... and 3 weeks after finding Milo we welcomed Parker into the family :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.