UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Positive methods vs non

• I use only positive methods

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I will use physical corrections on occasions

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I use a mix of both

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • I don't have an opinion

Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It appears as though the world of dog training has gone the complete other way compared to say for example the 90's.

If you don't use purely positive methods then you are frowned upon.

Dominance is a dirty word, and if you like CM then you are guilty of animal cruelty.

This isn't a CM debate (although I am a fan ;) ) but has common sense gone out the window or is positive training the only way to deal with your dog?

·
Registered
968 Posts
It appears as though the world of dog training has gone the complete other way.

Dominance is a dirty word, and if you like CM then you are guilty of animal cruelty.

This isn't a CM debate (although I am a fan ;) ) but has common sense gone out the

What's cm?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears as though the world of dog training has gone the complete other way.

This isn't a CM debate (although I am a fan ;) ) but has common sense gone out the

What's cm?
Caesar Milan The Dog Whisperer

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have answered 'a mix of both' although I would never hit my dog, I do on occasion use my voice to correct something I feel is inappropriate, which I dont think would be classed as totally 'positive'....

·
Premium Member
33,934 Posts
I think your right, each trainer has there own way of training as each dog needs a different way of been trained. There's to many self-righteous people about.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I've probably been dog training before many of you were born.:D In all of those years, I have never ever been hard or physical on any dog - and I've had some dodgy ones over the years I can tell you. I have to keep myself safe, so I do muzzle some dogs, I also tether them to a VERY secure post in my office so they can't reach to bite me (or their owners) but I think the most severe thing I've done is to force eye-contact, (for a very short period) making the dog feel uncomfortable, but again, it's only done very rarely.

I'm not a fan of CM, I think he can be very heavy handed and cruel, Jan Fennel is a laugh (IMO) and I can take or leave Victoria Stillwell. Many of you either won't remember Barbara Woodhouse, but she was the very first TV dog trainer, and whereas you might not agree with all of her methods, she certainly made people aware that it was their duty to train their dogs, and they did not arrive trained.

I'm often asked "who do you follow in your training methods?" by clients, and I have to say absolutely my dad.;)

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I will give a small correction, e.g a pop on the lead if pulling, i will physically move my dogs off sofas etc, and i have no problems giving the a tap on the backside if i catch them doing something naughty. But i praise and reward more than i 'punish'

However i dont believe in the dominance theory, IMO dogs are not dominant towards humans, and i dont think a dog on the sofa, going through a door before you or eating before you is dominant. I dont like CM for that reason

·
Registered
968 Posts
I will give a small correction, e.g a pop on the lead if pulling, i will physically move my dogs off sofas etc, and i have no problems giving the a tap on the backside if i catch them doing something naughty. But i praise and reward more than i 'punish'

However i dont believe in the dominance theory, IMO dogs are not dominant towards humans, and i dont think a dog on the sofa, going through a door before you or eating before you is dominant. I dont like CM for that reason
I disagree a but dexter is getting more and more dominant especially towards me, pushing into me and standing over me. My brothers DDB is very dominant and is a problem sometimes

·
Super Moderator
29,630 Posts
Positive reinforcement & negative punishment, definitely not into CM & 'dominance theory'

·
Registered
655 Posts
When training the dogs I try and balance what's best for me, the dog and any other factors around us for some kind of long term good. That means I use a mix of methods and sometimes they're not positive. I do pretty much the same with any other animal i'm trying to influence be it livestock, horses or humans ;)

That doesn't mean I buy in to CMs insistance on dominance theory or 'calm-submissive' mumbo jumbo, he didn't invent any of the methods he uses and uses alot of them inappropriately IMO.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I do use a mixture. It all depends on the dog and the behavior they are displaying.

When i am training fun things like obedience or fun tricks i will only ever set them up to succeed so no corrections will ever be needed.

But when it comes to modifying a behavior then yes i will use corrections if i think it is necessary. I don't do it because i can or because i want to, i do it because it works. I do use treats to reward the behavior i want the dog to display so they learn exactly i want from them.

Anyone who is dead against it and is pro PR only i think is a bit closed minded, i know a dog who's behavior was becoming very dangerous and PR was not working. Since corrections where introduced the dog has become unrecognizable and is lovely now.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I disagree a but dexter is getting more and more dominant especially towards me, pushing into me and standing over me. My brothers DDB is very dominant and is a problem sometimes
I would say he wants attention, i would ignore him or just leave the room, even negative attention (i.e pushing away) is seen as good to a dog.

Dogs arent dominant, just untrained. My dog Grey, was allowed to get away with rude pushy behaviour in his previous home, he stands on people, paws on them for attention, pushes his way through to the kitchen bin, growls when asked to move etc etc, dominant? No, untrained and rude, 2 years on he's so much better with consistant training

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I have physically removed dogs from the couch etc and blocked them with my body/ If I have the pram I dont often have a free hand so..!

Normally tho my tone is enough :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
In training I only ever use positive and it has worked great, but if they do something wrong I will use a firm voice but that's as bad as it gets lol
CM for everyday training I don't like his methods, but when he is rehabilitating dogs I've watched where he has helped a dog that may of had to be pts because the problem was so bad so I do think he can help in that respect everyone has their opinion and its no ones place to judge unless their methods are cruel x

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Personally i do not believe this is a dominance problem. I think it is a problem caused by lack of boundaries, rules and routine which will make the dog act out. I've been there, i can assure you i didn't fix this problem by dominating him.

Dominance can't be true between dogs and humans there is no way we could understand the 'rules' like they do, they would constantly be getting one up on us. I believe there is dominance between dogs just like there is dominance between humans. It's a difficult subject as the human and dog relationship is very unique :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.