Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have to Crate Puppy Because Older Dog Attacks Him

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jacqi, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Jacqi

Jacqi PetForums Newbie

My Husky is in no way an aggressive dog. She’s never showed this behavior in her life. However, I’m watching a 1 year old lab for a week who isn’t fixed and he’s a male dog and she’s a female. Which probably has something to do with it. He’s crate trained which is good. She’s not though. Whenever I let him out of the crate he doesn’t leave her alone. He’s obsessed with her. He makes a mess of the house chasing her around. He even knocked over the TV. The only time I can let him out is when they’re outside together. I spend about 6 hours outside with them because I don’t want to leave him in a crate all day. He just will not leave her alone and she gets so annoyed she attack’s him. She try’s to growl and snarl for the first 15-20 minutes and walk away but he follows her and continues to push her to the point where she attack’s. I’ve had to take days off work this week to spend as much time as possible outside with this dog. I’ve taken him on hour runs, played fetch, let him roam the yard for hours and I’m just exhausted. I just don’t know what else to do with him. When I try to lock her in a room he just goes to that door and barks. When he’s in his crate he’s pretty calm. But I have to put a blanket over it most of the time because when he sees her he goes nuts. She’s 7, so she’s old and wants nothing to do with the poor guy. Any suggestions? I’m losing my mind here and want this puppy to have an enjoyable stay but it’s not gonna be enjoyable if he has to be kept locked up most of the time. During the night I kept him in the room with me instead of the crate and shut the door and left her out but he cried all night.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I think you're doing the best you can to be honest and just grit your teeth and get through the week. Your bitch isn't about to come into season is she?

3. Jacqi

Jacqi PetForums Newbie

I hope so, it just breaks my heart to have to leave him in the crate for so long I’ve never had to crate dogs in the past and I watch them for a side job and have had plenty of them so it’s hard having to see him locked up. I sometimes have to even put a blanket over the crate because he freaks out whenever he even sees her. She shouldn’t be going into season until November. I’ve also been trying to train him to stay away from her but he doesn’t even care for treats or attention or anything when she’s around. I’ve never in my life seen a dog so obsessed like this.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Put them in separate rooms so he doesn’t have to be in a crate and you don’t have to spend hours in the garden with them.

Torin. and Burrowzig like this.
  5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Are there any other bitches nearby that could be in season because if he's that obsessive that would be my guess?

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Can you contact his owner, say how disruptive this situation is and get their agreement to move the dog to kennels?
    Pup would be better with more space, and your husky would be glad to see the back of him.
    If not, keep a closed door between them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice