Have my chinchillas been fighting?

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by TabulaRasa, Mar 25, 2018.

1. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Member

Is this the right one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinf...d=1524922281&sr=1-1&keywords=f10+disinfectant

There are lots of versions showing up and they all seem to be for something different. The farm suppliers don't sell this, only Virkon or Jeyes Fluid and I'd rather this F10 if it's better against fungus so I'll order some. Anything to lessen the risk of going through this again.

Both chins are looking perkier today, far more interested again in what's going on around them. Both are looking better too, those awful pus blobs have gone down a lot and the cut scratch Astrid gave herself is healing well already. For the moment at least, things are looking better than they have done for some days☺.

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Yes that's the one or you can get it as a concentrated liquid that you add water to yourself which might be cheaper.
    Good, hopefully it'll be over soon.

3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

How are your girls today TabulaRasa?

4. TabulaRasa

They're not too bad, I've dropped the cream to one dose a day as there really is barely any left now, and so far it doesn't seem to be having a negative impact. I do think baby Skye still has it in her system more though, her nose is looking much better but a few whiskers have that 'paint spattered' appearance again and I found a small hard lump-like stub of what seems to be a mix of congealed scab and skin by her neck. Whether she's also scratched it herself I don't know, here's hoping the new treatment deals with it. For now I've put the Surolan on it, it's cleared up Astrid's face cut so quick I thought it might also help this.

Thank you Arny, I'll get some of that ordered for this week. Do you happen to know if you can put it into the washing machine? I use fleece and I'm unsure if they'll survive a 60°C wash, but I doubt the 30°C is high enough on it's own.

5. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

I honestly don't know about the fleece. Maybe hand washing in f10 would be enough?

6. TabulaRasa

Oh yes that's an idea, I'll soak them in it then just spin them in the machine.

Chins are looking better, the lump on Skye went down really quick once I removed the matted top and put some Surolan on it (it seems to be highly effective as an antiseptic cream), it 's almost gone as fast as it appeared. Both are lively, full of energy and eating really well, I think I've got them as good as I can ready for the next three weeks of new treatment, they look in a better state than they did last week anyway. Biotics are supposed to arrive today so hopefully they can start the Fungitraxx tonight.

7. TabulaRasa

Stuff has turned up, Fibreplex says it's for rabbits, is this one right? As I ordered one for rabbits & small animals but this doesn't say anything about small animals on it. How much of each should I give? Do I give them immediately after the Fungitraxx, before or after a certain amount of time?

8. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Fibreplex is not a probiotic I'm keen on. I prefer Avipro in that it's much easier to administer via the water bottle. Maybe Arny can help here.

9. TabulaRasa

Ok I'll give just that for now. There 's a little scoop with 5ml on it in the pot, will that be enough for both or do they need that much each?

10. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

That should be fine for both of them. I would only use one type of probiotic, not two. If you choose the Avipro, then I would stay with that one.

11. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

How did you get on with the Avipro?

12. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Is everything all right ref your chins TabulaRasa? Are the new meds having any better results?

13. TabulaRasa

I'm sorry for disappearing and leaving everything hanging here, I'm afraid I got some news that knocked me for six and being online has been the last thing on my mind. It has not been a good few days but the chins are thankfully doing well. All the hair is growing back rapidly and very little trace of the fungus is remaining, just the odd spot on Skye's ear and whiskers, but they've only had four days of treatment out of 21 so I think that's pretty good going. It is easier and less messy by far to give as well so I know both are definitely getting the full amount, although one hates the taste and the other loves it! Both are eating as well as ever and the Avipro they seem to like so much they won't touch the normal water bottle. I doubt the pot is big enough to last all three weeks so I'm debating sending the Fibreplex back and getting another lot of AP instead as I can't see the other one being needed. Fingers crossed this is finally nearly over.

14. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

I'm so sorry that you've received bad news TabulaRasa. I've had a strange week ref blood tests for hubby with a recall for more blood tests, but all turned out ok. I'm glad that your girls are improving, and that they like the Avipro. I've found by experience that it's one of the best probiotics around. Let's hope that the new meds will sort out this problem completely. Please keep us informed.

15. TabulaRasa

Thanks Tiggers, I'm glad your week turned out ok, unfortunately mine went from bad to worse which is why I've not been on here. The chins though are getting better by the day I'm mighty relieved to say. We went back to the vets for a check up yesterday and she also said they look so much better especially as it's only been a week. They have to go back in two weeks time, just before the Fungitraxx finishes because she'd rather extend the course by an extra week or so than have to start a new one again if it's decided that they aren't completely clear of any traces. I will try and get some photos tomorrow so you can see how they're coming along ☺.

16. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

That's great news TabulaRasa. I hope your issues improve for you too. Stay in touch and sending hugs xxx

17. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

No animal should be subjected to chlorine or bleach at any time! The corrosive properties of these agents are enough to kill a small animal outright! This is really not a wise suggestion. Please will admin remove.

18. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Thanks admin :)

19. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

I hope you are ok TabulaRasa and your girls are continuing to improve. We are all just getting back to normal after the mini heatwave over the bank holiday weekend. My chins were all sulky and really not impressed at having no out of cage exercise, but it was totally impossible at 23 degrees.

20. TabulaRasa

I am hopefully back here and able to post again after what has been without any exaggeration a living nightmare of a month that I have do not want to go through again for as long as I live... I feel like I've been to Hell and back and somehow or other managed to survive. Now I just want to forget it happened, which is going to be impossible to do fully, but it's not ruining any more of my days than it already has so I'm making a determined effort to get back to normal. So, chin update - both are looking vastly better, the fur has almost grown back on both and neither are scratching any more beyond what small fluffs tend to do anyway. Skye has got just a tiny patch still on one ear and the odd whisker that just won't shift, they've now been on the Fungatraxx for 2 weeks and it still hasn't gone and I'm not sure why when it's working so well everywhere else. They have a a vet check up again on Monday and if it's not gone by then there's a good chance she'll put them on yet another course. I'd say they're 99% better by now, just can't get that last 1% for some reason. Here's some pics:

Annoying bit on Skye's ear that won't go away fully
    [​IMG]

Eyes and nose are looking much better though
    [​IMG]

A whisker blob, there's a couple more on other whiskers but only this one would show up clearly
    [​IMG]

Asti's face looks much better, but she was less affected to begin with so she's improved quicker
    [​IMG]

It has been a very very peculiar, challenging and downright terrible two months between everything, but on the whole I think we're finally getting there.

Tiggers likes this.