Have my chinchillas been fighting?

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by TabulaRasa, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Please keep us posted TabulaRasa. Chinchillas are complex animals and the more information about the various conditions they can suffer from, then the better we are equipped to deal.

Arny likes this.
  2. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Member

Yes I will do, hopefully it will help somebody else if they find themselves with the same issue. Also it'll be good to find out exactly what type of fungus it is because the powder was working initially. This ear ointment is certainly working at the moment as the hard crusty bits have gone down considerably. I've found if I give her a mini shredded wheat it keeps her occupied long enough to treat her back and ears. A matchstick with the end broken off works for below and above her nose but I haven't yet come up with a way of effectively doing either side, as soon as anything touches her whiskers she moves her head away.

I've just realised as well Tiggers that you asked earlier if she'd been in contact with anywhere wet or damp. As far as I know, no she hasn't, however the weather here has been such a non-stop mix of rain, snow and sleet since January maybe the air itself has been too damp for her to cope with. I'm thinking of getting a dehumidifier for the new shed by next winter to help keep the air dry. The vet thought given her age it was low immunity bought on by the stress of a new home and all that goes with it.

3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

All my chinchillas live in the house. That said, I run a dehumidifier regularly in damp weather and in periods of high humidity in summer with very positive results.

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Just out of curiosity TabulaRasa, what pellets do you feed, and where do you purchase your hay?

5. TabulaRasa

I feed Science Select in the turquoise and white bag, partly as it's the only one my local shop has so I know I can get it easily and partly because I was told it's the best one. I buy hay online though because they'll only eat Oxbow and the local place doesn't sell it. The last two bags were from an Amazon seller but the new one that's just arrived is from The Hay Experts.

Fifth lot of ointment now, and it does seem to be dealing with it well. The bits around the ears and the patch on her back looks like it's been stopped just in time from going worse or spreading anywhere else. By the eye looks vastly better, I think that's had the most progress so far. Interestingly it's also the bit that was clearing up the quickest with the powder too. Nose looks bad because it's bare and wet looking but the scabbiness and crusts have either gone or drop off easily whereas they were firmly attached before, there was a big scab like lumpy bit right above her nose and that's gone completely. She could do with a dust bath as she's looking a bit sticky but I'm worried it'll aggravate the skin and it'll flare back up.

6. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Both your hay and pellet choices are good. I feed my chinchilla herd Beaphar Care Plus pellets and Western Timothy Hay from The Dust Free Hay Company. I'm so pleased that the meds you were given are starting to have a positive effect. Sick chins are such a worry. I recently took s small Ebony rescue chin in. He had a weepy eye, was under weight and extremely nervous of handling. He's perfectly fine now, eye cleared up, weigh gaining nicely and much more confident.

7. TabulaRasa

I looked at that hay site but decided the boxes they sell are too big. Mine will have got bored with it less than half way through and it'll end up being wasted. It looks good value if you have several chinchillas though, or other animals as well to share it around. This ointment is doing well at keeping whatever it is at bay, and it does seem to be clearing it up as well, the white bits on her whiskers have gone down to almost nothing but the skin has looked the same for a couple of days now. I'm really struggling to apply it by her nose and eyes though so perhaps that's why. I'm a little concerned that there seems to be no sign of new hairs growing yet but maybe the fungus needs to be completely gone for that. You are so right Tiggers, ill chins are a real worry, I will be very relieved when this is over. I keep wondering if I ought to let her breeder know but I can't bring myself to. I feel terrible that one of her babies she handed over in good faith and in perfect condition is now in such a mess.

8. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

I'm so glad the meds are working TabulaRasa. I would let the breeder know, as it is possible that the fungus could have originated there and he/she would need to check their own stick. Please keep us informed how your baby gets on.

9. TabulaRasa

I feel like banging my head against the wall in despair...my older girl is now showing signs of having this fungus. A bit on one side of her nose and under her mouth is looking bare, no flakes (yet) but definitely looks the same otherwise. I've stuck a blob of the Surolan on in the hope of stopping it instantly, but when the other has been being treated daily with it I can't understand how that alone hasn't kept it from redeveloping, nor why it's only showing now when the first lot is clearing up. At least I already had a vet appointment booked for a check up tomorrow so she can be seen straight away which is something I suppose.

10. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Oh, I'm so sorry. Let your vet take a look and treat accordingly. Fungus is notoriously difficult to shift, and can reoccur several times before disappearing. Please keep us updated. Sending hugs xxxxx

11. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Any update yet TabulaRasa?

12. TabulaRasa

Sorry, been out all day and appointment wasn't until late this afternoon. Yes, vet is happy with how the first lot is clearing up and says it's looking much better. She also says it's almost certain now to be something fungal otherwise the Surolan wouldn't have made any difference, she'd also checked just incase it was mites/some type of parasite but we're clear on that front. Nothing from the lab but then I wasn't expecting there to be. So for now it's another week of cream for the baby and two weeks of it for the older girl along with a dust bath every day. They do look that bit better for having a bath and hopefully they'll feel it too which will help. Their new shed is arriving tomorrow, if it stays dry I'm going to try and set it up over the weekend as despite my attempt at cleaning the old one out, I'm sure it's no substitute for new fresh wood.

Tiggers likes this.
  13. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

I'm so glad it went well at the vet's. I'm in the middle of helping a friend deal with a chin with a bladder infection at the moment.

14. TabulaRasa

Thank you Tiggers, I'm starting to feel just a bit more positive with how this is going. The cream is working and doing so very effectively, I can't see any new patches on either and both are otherwise happy and lively so hopefully it's bothering them too much now. They aren't scratching either, which thinking back is something the little one in particular was doing a fair bit of when this started. I'll get some pictures again tomorrow but I think we have made some progress. How do you treat a UTI in a chinnie, with antibiotic tablets same as people have?

15. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Antibiotics, a pain killer and a probiotic to protect the gut flora. The chin is doing well, and responding to treatment. I'm glad your girls are doing well.

16. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Did you get your new shed sorted TabulaRasa Rasa, and how are your chins?

17. TabulaRasa

I'm glad your friend's chin is doing well Tiggers☺.

The new shed did arrive however it isn't up yet because I'm going to need some assistance with it. It is extremely heavy, I can't move one panel of it on my own, I'm hoping to put it together later in the week when I've got others to help with it. From what I can see of it though it is a vast improvement on the old one. So week 2 and merrily we roll along with this mystery fungus that is anything but fun...

Baby is looking far better, no new outbreaks, no more 'paint splattered' whiskers, skin is smooth and returned to the usual pale blueish grey tone it was rather than pink or red. No new hair growth showing yet and I've managed to remove the last bits of crusts off a couple of whiskers, which also came out, but whether that's due to the treatment, the fungus or they were naturally shed I don't know. They came out with such ease they must have been on the verge of dropping out anyway. Her treatment course ends on Thursday but with six doses left still hopefully she'll improve even more by then.

Older girl is unfortunately looking like she is going to go through the same but with luck not on such an extreme scale through being treated instantly. She has a unmistakable bare patch by her nose, and now it's slightly bare around one eye, not much, but enough to make it noticeable. I'm starting to recognise the tell-tale signs this problem gives. The hair in one place looks not quite right, as if there's a broken line in it or a droplet of water has darkened and flattened it, then by the next day the same spot is bare and pink. That then goes into raised bumpy scabs and crusty flakes that starts spreading like wildfire if left. Getting the ointment applied instantly appears to be the key to preventing the raised scabs forming but it doesn't appear to stop it completely. I would say she has a much milder case of it, either due to being older or from being treated straight away, I am just hoping against hope that it goes no worse and she doesn't re-infect the other. I am however, kicking myself now for not treating both from the start even though she seemed fine. Whatever this turns out to be it's got a real hold that's for sure, I've thrown everything at it and it's still not gone.

18. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

I'm so glad that your chins are stable TabulaRasa. As previously stated, sick chins cause untold stress and worry. I'm off work for a few days at present caring for hubby who has injured his neck and can't do much for himself, plus twenty chins and other pets, so it's pretty stressful here at the moment.

IMG_0657.JPG
    This is my latest rescue chin. He's been with me eight week now and his confidence and weight are gaining nicely.

#58 Tiggers, Apr 17, 2018 at 7:15 AM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 9:18 AM
  19. TabulaRasa

What a sweet boy, he looks superb☺. I wish mine looked as good as that at the moment, I'm sure that looking and feeling a sticky, bedraggled mess must make them pretty miserable. I've forgotten what it's like to have so many to look after, you must be rushed off your feet!

First bottle of Surolan almost gone but I'm beginning to wonder if it's still working. My girl has now got quite a patch of hair missing by her eye, and today I've noticed the little one has a few of those round balls (the flaky bits formed into these the first night after treatment) around the base of her whiskers again, both of which I wouldn't have thought would happen when they're being so strictly dosed.They've also both started scratching quite a bit again. The vet wanted some pictures tomorrow, but I'm thinking it's possible another visit is in order. This ointment can thin the skin so I'm afraid of upping the doses without a vet's approval. I've relocated them temporarily into the porch incase it's particles left in the shed itself stopping them healing properly. I've also cut out the Readygrass this evening, it's the only thing left that hasn't been renewed, the pellets and hay were both new bags last week but the readygrass wasn't and I'm wondering if that is the cause. Mainly because I've been through everything else, done everything I can think of and am now thoroughly out of ideas.

Here's some photos, the first two are the girl who's had treatment since last Thursday and has another week to go. The other six are the baby's after doses since the Thursday before, who is supposed to be finishing the treatment after tomorrow:

[​IMG]

Below the eye is bare too but it doesn't show up well
    [​IMG]

Patch on her back,
    [​IMG]

By her ear, the other is the same
    [​IMG]

Worst bits by far, around her nose
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Junior

Poor chins. At least you are giving them the best care possible. Please stay in touch TabulaRasa. It's great to have chinny friends and swap information, pics etc.