Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have I shot myself in the foot? And what to do?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by McKenzie, Dec 10, 2020.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Elliot is a really, really good boy. It's hard to find much to fault him on, but there's one thing that's causing issues...

Backstory - up until this time last year we had a cat, and McKenzie and the cat did NOT get along. As a result, the dogs spent most of their time baby gated in my kitchen/living area, or in my bedroom at night. They didn't have free access to other rooms in the house without me being present. And it's this that's making me wonder whether I've shot myself in the foot.

Elliot is currently 4 years old. We're in a different house now, and the dogs are still baby gated in the living area when I'm not home, but when I'm out I'm more relaxed about letting them have the run of the house. However, Elliot really loves tearing up cardboard, and on a number of occasions now he has pulled books off my bookshelf (in my spare room) and chewed them up. He never chews anything else. When I find him in the act of chewing a book, I send him off with a flea in his ear (not literally - I just realised what a weird saying that is! :Hilarious).

What are my options here? Removing all books from the bookshelf isn't very practical. I could put a baby gate on the spare bedroom door. I could go back to now allowing the dogs free run of the house. Can I do anything that's not just managing it? Neither of my dogs have ever been chewers (aside from the above example) so not quite sure where to go with this.

TIA

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Can you not just close the door to the spare bedroom? (Or a baby gate if you prefer, but closing the door seems easier.) The dogs don't really need access to the whole house, when you think about it. If the only room causing a problem is the spare room, I'd just bar them from that. Problem solved (in my mind, anyway. :))

ebonycat, Sarah H, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I guess it’s hard to get him to distinguish between cardboard and books, so I’d just keep the door or a baby gate shut.

ebonycat, LinznMilly and ForestWomble like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes, I could. Was just interested to see if there were any other ideas. I currently have 3 baby gates up, what's one more.

ForestWomble and DanWalkersmum like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with @Ian246
    Restricting their access to the whole house is perfectly reasonable IMO. Mine have access to the living room and kitchen only.
    The stairs are behind a solid door as it's an old cottage, the dining room is firmly shut as Reena used to push the door open and end up trapped when the door swung shut behind her, and the utility room s gated as Bobby showed a desire to pee on the clean laundry.:rolleyes:
    I thnk that's quite reasonable.( not the peeing on the laundry !)

LinznMilly and ForestWomble like this.
  6. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I agree about gating off the room. Could you perhaps provide Elliott with some cardboard that he is allowed to chew so he gets the enjoyment of it? Perhaps a box with some treats in?

7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

B96A6F3F-1A48-413F-BBF8-0409C3060FCD.jpeg Loki used to do this but seems to have grown out of it thank goodness. Here he is one day seemed to forget I was there so helped himself. I can’t help he just seemed to stop and moved onto different naughties .

8. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

he looks like he's choosing a book to read it not destroy :p

Lurcherlad, ebonycat and LinznMilly like this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It’s hard to say isn’t it Loki bear so misunderstood.

ebonycat and LinznMilly like this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, I'll just continue to restrict access to the room. He can be a bit of a thief on the odd occasion too so probably the best. I feel like I have more baby gates than people who actually have babies!

Lurcherlad, ebonycat, Sarah H and 6 others like this.
  11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I do restricting access, and also @Sairy's suggestion of allowable gutting behaviour (that's what it is, and why terriers are often most prone) outlets. I use specific cues for the times when it's allowed, in the same way I set things up so it's very obvious when chasing stuff is allowed.

Sarah H, JoanneF and LinznMilly like this.
  12. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't offer much help, but Milly used to chew books when she was younger. Now she's happy with boxes. I actually use the boxes their dog food comes in, or Amazon boxes, fill with shredded paper and treats and let her go nuts on it.

Living room looks like a small tornado has ripped through it afterwards, but she's happy. :D

ebonycat, LittleMow, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  13. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree with giving him boxes he can chew and destroy.

Bungo loves paper and cardboard and I save up both and sometimes give him his food in a box full of paper (some kibble scattered and some 'wrapped' in the paper) he loves it, makes a great mess and gives him a chance to practise the behaviour so he leaves my books alone.

LittleMow, Sairy and DanWalkersmum like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Can't you just shut the door so he cant get in. My dogs are not allowed upstairs, but in the holiday cottage they are allowed in the hall (no stairs) but not the bedrooms so the doors are kept shut.

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, he does get cardboard to shred but probably not as often as he would like.

Putting a cue to it is a great idea, thanks.

Oh I just don't like having doors stuff, just a weird quirk of mine.

LinznMilly, Torin. and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice