Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have I picked the wrong breeder?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Snowdon, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Snowdon

Snowdon PetForums Newbie

Ok so I've been wanting a particular breed of cat for a while. This year I started to research breeders and found one that was registered and not too far from me. I looked at her page and liked the look of her cats. They had the look that I liked and the breeder has lots of reviews from buyers who love their cats and I have seen many pictures of cats bought from this breeder through Facebook and Instagram.
    The breeder has all the relevant health tests and blood types etc. Her cats also have many champions and the sire (also hers) is a grand champion. The grand sire is also a regional winner.
    Anyway all looked good the breeder seemed nice and happy to give info. Last week I went to see the kittens. She has four litters at once which I was surprised with and she acknowledged that this was more than she normally has. I viewed the queens and sire.
    All but one of the queens have gone back into the cattery and have been separated from the kittens. The breeder said this has been unusual. The youngest two litters were seen with one queen in the house they were 8 weeks and suckling away also eating solid food. The oldest litter were 13 weeks and had been separated from mum and were awaiting collection.
    The breeder said that the second youngest litter were the first from a particular queen and that she refused to feed after a week so were being fed by the other mother. The kitten I fell for was with the older litter. They had also been separated from mum early with the reason being that the queen went into call and the kittens became unwell, the breeder stated that the queen then became distressed so was separated. The kittens appeared healthy and was very affectionate and confident.
    The question I'm asking is will this kitten be ok. Am I having the wool pulled over my eyes or does this sound genuine? I was not concerned at the time it's just these last few days that I'm starting to be concerned. The adult cats were all in great condition. The home was clean and the breeder seemed relaxed and knowledgeable.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

It generally doesn't matter which queen raises the kittens, providing there is a queen raising them and they stay with her. Just make sure that they are registered with GCCF, TICA or FIFé and you're provided with the registration card or slip to prove this.

spotty cats likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Closed as duplicate thread in Cat Chat.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Breeders have different protocols. My cats are inside, not in an outdoor cattery and mums stay with their kittens until they leave.

Some kittens can have reactions when mum calls, it’s also not unheard of for kittens to be raised by another girl if needed.

None of us can really say if you’ve been given the truth or not, if you are feeling uneasy it’s often better to walk away and find a breeder you connect better with.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

Sheep has been feeding hers and Blue’s kittens as she loves nothing more than to feed kittens and mother them, and as far as she is concerned Blue is her baby still. She let Blue feed off her until she was 5 months old and Blue wasn’t even her baby, she was a kitten that came to love with us at 12 weeks old.

As @spotty cats said, if you feel uneasy it is best to walk away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice