Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have I made Alfie sick?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Suzynick, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Suzynick

Suzynick PetForums Junior

I took Alfie to the vets again today as my partner had noticed a spot of blood when wiping him clean a couple of days ago. He is still having daily diarrhoea

He is already on steroids for IBD and was given antibiotics last weekend which I couldn't get him to take, however my vet gave me some easypill putty to try as the antibiotic is meant to be really helpful for IBD cats.

So I gave him a small amount to see what he thought of it and he gobbled it up, so decided to give him a worming tablet as had just used it for my other cat who just ate it without hesitation. Amazed at what was the easiest worming session EVER I proceeded to give him his antibiotic the same way. Amazing!

Half hour or so later back in the litter tray with more diarrhoea, then he came in the kitchen and threw up. Food, bile and definitely bits of tablet.

I don't know if I was stupid as gave him too much easypill, or whether I shouldn't have given a worming tablet at the same time as the antibiotic. I need to give him a steroid too but thinking I'll do that tomorrow.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Suzynick - I recall we spoke briefly before about Alfie in one of your previous threads :) As the poor fellow is still having bouts of diarrhoea in spite of the steroids, can I help with any dietary suggestions? I sympathise, things must be difficult, dealing with his chronic diarrhoea.

Can you remind me if Alfie has had stool samples tested at the Lab for bacterial bowel infections, parasites or viruses ? If so, were results all negative ?

Summercat likes this.
  3. Suzynick

Hi @chillminx I contemplated messaging you directly last night! :Sorry He didn't eat a huge amount last night and only a small amount this morning after he was sick. I haven't given him his steroid yet but did give him a second antibiotic this morning with a small amount of the easypill which he ate straightaway so I am praying that now i can get the antibiotics down him his diarrhoea may improve. He's always had loose stools, this is the first time he has ever had chronic diarrhoea.

I went to pets@home last night hoping to get the royal canin gastro food but they don't stock it in store so have ordered some to arrive sunday.

He really does like the felix as good as it looks so I could do with something similar, he still seems to like the integra protect lamb but when he was sick last night I noticed that he had chucked up the rice again. I know the opinion is not to give cats rice, but he was only royal canin sensitivity control for a while which made a huge improvement to his stools but that's chicken and rice. :Banghead

He's not had any stool samples taken. He's been having issues for years, he has previously had a giarda infection, and was having his anal glands expressed every 2 months or so at my last vets and although that is quite unusual for a cat they never suggested anything might be wrong. It was only when I changed vets that the vet said he could have IBD or cancer and the only way to find out was a biopsy which I wasn't prepared to do given alfies age (16). When I changed his food to RC his stools were instantly better, he put on weight and next time he went vets the inflammation had gone so in my opinion I am sure it can't be cancer, although I am aware that cells can mutate to this.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Suzynick - please do message me any time you like :)

Given that Alfie is aged 16 and his stools improved considerably on the Royal Canin Sensitivity is there a reason why he cannot continue to have the food now? Although generally speaking rice is not great for cats, there will be exceptions. Also the RC Sensitivity is a special recipe and there may not be much rice in it. One of my previous senior cats (over 10 years ago) had severe IBD and one of the few cat foods she could tolerate was RC Sensitivity pouches.

What happens when he eats Felix AGAIL? Does he get diarrhoea? If Felix AGAIL suits him I would feed him that.

Does he still have anal gland issues? This can be due to the consistency of his stools - stools need to be firm and formed so as to put enough pressure in the rectum when he defecates for the glands to empty.

I have had 3 cats with my IBD (one is still with me) and none of them were diagnosed by biopsy. My vet was satisfied to diagnose by clinical symptoms alone which is an acceptable way to diagnose a condition like IBD, though would not be the right way if cancer were suspected. Does Alfie have symptoms of cancer e.g. unaccountable weight loss? Black tarry stools?

I think I would work on the basis he has IBD and treat accordingly. Does he have any symptoms apart from the chronic diarrhoea?

It may be worth having some stool samples tested in case there is an bowel infection or parasites. Is he an outdoor cat? How long ago was the Giardia infection?

If you prefer there is a good lab you can deal with directly (they also deal with vets). It will be less expensive that going through your vet. A Faeces 2 test will cost about £58 including VAT. You can apply on line for a test kit, and then you send the sample off to the lab. You will need stool samples from 3 days and they must not have any cat litter on them (so take the samples from the middle of the deposit).

The lab is Pinmoore Animal Services Lab Ltd (aka PALS Vet Lab)

https://www.palsvetlab.co.uk/product/small-animal-kits/

If you do use them, ask them to email the results to your vet as well as to you (and give them your vet's email address).

I'll look forward to your comments :)

EDIT: has Alfie been tested within the past 6 months or so for Hyperthyroidism. or other chronic diseases common in older cats? HyperT can cause loose stools, which could exacerbate IBD.

5. Suzynick

Hi @chillminx

Thank you that’s very kind of you!

Unfortunately he went off the RC Sensitivity control, I have tried reintroducing it but he’s really not fussed about it L I tried him with the kattovit sensitive food which he appeared to like to start with but its very similar to the RC so he went off that quite quickly as well.

His stools aren’t great on the Felix food, still loose but not diarrhoea. I have bought some of that prokolin that you suggested so I could try putting a bit of that with it, athough ideally I would just like to find a suitable food.

No he his anal glands seem ok, I haven’t seen him scoot for some time and the vet checked them yesterday and said there wasn’t much in them so that’s all good.

No he doesn’t have any symptoms of cancer, he was losing weight but only because he’d started getting very picky with food, as soon as he starts eating again he puts the weigh back on again. No black stools either.

I’m sure it must be IBD, he was often sick but the steroids seem to have sorted that out, although he was having the steroid every few days and by day three he appeared to seem nauseus. So the vet suggested every other day.

He’s an indoor cat but he does go outside daily on a harness just in the garden. The giardia infection was when he was with my previous vet so longer than 2 years ago.

Thanks for the link for Pinmoore I am pretty sure I have looked into this previously and their name came up but I never proceeded with it. Definitely worth a shot.

He has had a senior profile blood test in the past but longer than 6 months ago, his brother is going to have one later this month as he’s been losing weight and the vet recommended it was worth doing just incase, I could get Alfie tested again at the same time.

Thank you J

chillminx likes this.
  6. Suzynick

Quick Alfie update. Last had diarrhea last night, nothing today so far. Fingers crossed. Still accepting both antibiotic and steroid in the easypill so that's great news. The royal canin gastro food came today, and unfortunately he doesn't seem too keen :(
    Going to have to move forward his brothers vets appointment for a blood test as not only losing weight also now drinking an excessive amount of water :(

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It sounds as though his brother may have a kidney problem or possibly Hyperthyroidism.

I found one of my previous cats would not eat the RC Gastro food the vet had insisted I try him on. I had to send all the unopened stuff back for a refund. ;)

Fingers crossed his stools will firm up. x

Suzynick likes this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Losing weight and drinking a lot can also be diabetes.

Suzynick likes this.
  9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Honestly, any cat with chronic diarrhoea should be tested for Tritrichomonas Foetus ASAP. This often ignored parasite is likely the cause of more diahorrea cases than anything else and it's often misdiagnosed as IBD/IBS. Before I did anything else, I would be getting this test done.

https://icatcare.org/advice/tritrichomonas-foetus-infection-in-cats/

chillminx and Suzynick like this.
  10. Suzynick

We had formed stools in the early hours of this morning! :Happy

I am guessing it was the RC food, we had the same results when he had the RC Sensitivity control.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice