Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have I made a rod for my own back

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Scarlett03, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Scarlett03

Scarlett03 PetForums Junior

We are feeding Oscar Burns food (26 week old parsons russell) but he just seemed to get bored of it. I started mixing it with different things just to make it a bit more interesting, veg, cottage cheese, bits of meat and rice.

Is this wrong, should I stop now and just go back to plain food for him. I don't mind mixing stuff with it but I am wondering whether I am doing him more harm than good.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If its just a few things i wouldnt worry about it. You wont be causing any harm, but you may find the odd thing will give him the runs.

If you think he's getting bored you could try adding a little warm water, or even get something like Naturediet to mix in.

Many dogs will get a few scraps mixed in. Mine often get some left over veg in their dinner.

3. Scarlett03

Pic below of my little boy.

Attached Files:

4. animallover111

Awww he looks a bit like my terrier Tilly....:D

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Candy wont eat without something added to her dried food. She picks all the bits out and then I have to squirt olive oil on it to get her to finish up! does it matter though, it is cheap and easy and why should a dog have to eat something it doesnt enjoy just to survive.

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I think because Burns food is a bit bland it is a good idea to mix some bits in after all if the dog eats it all up thats the main thing

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Your pup is lovely!! I would recommend adding something like NatureDiet rather than 'human' food. Just in case the salt content is too high etc. I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't like ND or for a cheaper alternative I buy Lidl tripe rolls for the fussy eaters (not my dogs they'll eat anything but foster dogs). Most dogs seem to love the tripe rolls..must be cos they stink to high heaven and they are only 50p each. ;)

8. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Awwww scarlett your pup is lush! :D

9. Scarlett03

Thanks for your replies. Where do I find Naturediet stuff?

We've bought him more Burns stuff today and would not eat it until I put left over shepherds pie. Little sod. :wink5:

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I see nothing wrong with adding human food. Dogs used to be far healthier than they are now and were fed almost exclusively on table scraps. I cant see any reason why salt should hurt them, in fact it is a necessity to good health. I add anything that is left over and if there isnt anything then I put dog meat in with it.

11. Another vote here for naturediet

You should be able to get it in most petshops and pah stock it. If you find yourself using alot of it you can buy in bulk at cheaper prices,but just adding as a taster to a meal its unlikely that you will.

As a tip - naturediet can be stored in the fridge, and you can always freeze half of a pack if you dont think you will use it all in the right time.

Billy gets human foods, but only certain things and as kong stuffings, i dont add anything to his meals. He is on nd exclusively with raw meaty bones a few times a week to keep his jaw and teeth in good condition.

12. have you got any evidence of that? i would be interested to see it.

13. animallover111

I thought too much salt is bad for dogs.......:confused: :confused: does anyone know if dogs need salt at all in their diet.......:confused: i have never thought of this as my dogs are fed raw.......

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes they do, but only in small quantities, too much can be dangerous, just as it is for humans. Humans eat far too much salt as well for it to be healthy.

The only scraps mine get are cooked, unsalted veggies, and the odd bit of rice and pasta. As a veggie household, scraps are pretty boring.

Too much salt can cause damage to the liver and kidneys, and can cause calcium deposits in the arteries which will afect the animals heart function. Same applies to people.

15. animallover111

thank you.......

16. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I'll try them, always on the look out for new things to try for my lot (not that they are fussy).

17. ruth9

ruth9 PetForums Member

My two are on Burns dry food. I buy the Burns tinned food as well and add a spoonful of that in with it. Sometimes if I go into Asda late in the evening I can get chicken or fish at 10p-50p a pack so they might get a special treat then!

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Taken from my friend Wiki... WikiAnswers - Is salt harmful to dogs

Personally I wouldn't give my dogs any human food other than veg, pasta, rice etc which I know I haven't added extra salt to. Dogs cannot process excess salt as they don't sweat like we do, therefore any excess will be taken into the body..resulting in possible kidney damage. I rather like my dogs so want to keep them around as long as possible so will not feed them scraps just because my grandmother used to. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice