Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Have I made a mistake?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Joesy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Joesy

Joesy PetForums Newbie

Firstly, I have to say I love cats, I've had a cat or two for most of my life and have loved them to bits. BUT I've just adopted a beautiful little rescue cat and I'm wondering if I've done the right thing.

Background info:
    My previous rescue cats, Smartie and Rolo died in 2014 and early 2015 respectively.. aged 15 and 16, after long and happy lives.
    I was widowed unexpectedly in July 2015 and have moved house and started to rebuild a new life. I work as a temp and have a good circle of friends and a very busy social life. I have always thought at some point I would like another cat but something had been holding me back.. 2 weeks ago I was introduced to a beautiful 2 year old rescue cat who is very small, quiet but friendly. I fell in love with her and without any more thought agreed to adopt her. After all I'd always had cats so thought it could only be a good thing......but

Here's my dilemma, I am worrying now that I have made a mistake and am out and about too much, volunteering, working when I can, visiting friends and family and having friends to stay. I wonder if I'm being fair to her? Should I have waited, and if I had would I have thought it though more and realised that she would be alone too much and walked away. Previously my husband worked from home and so one or other of us was nearly always there. Oh dear, what to do?

The cat rescue said they would take her back if for any reason it didn't work out and I know there were other people interested ( as she is a little timid, they wanted a quiet household with no small children or other pets )

Any advice welcome.

2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

When I adopted Brooke I told them I worked full time and often went away for weekends. Not sure if the staff really did know which cats would be fine with that or if cats just adapt to the life they have. But Brooke is fine with my coming and going. Cats are by nature quite solitary and so long as there is stuff to amuse her she should be fine. Is she going to be an outdoor cat? If she is then she'll probably find plenty to amuse herself when you're out. If shes to be indoor then you'll have to work a bit harder to provide amusement for when you're not around.

moggie14, Bilai, Lurcherlad and 4 others like this.
  3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

What a shame you didnt think about it more before taking her. Poor things in need of something secure and committed.

spotty cats likes this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Is there any reason you think it might not be working out...does she appear unhappy in some way or is she actually rather enjoying the quiet life that the rescue thought she needed?

#4 Calvine, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    AmsMam, chillminx, Matrod and 7 others like this.
  5. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

I think it depends on the cat to be honest, is she an indoor only cat or indoor/outdoor? Some cats crave human company and attention whilst others seem quite happy pottering about amusing themselves!

Calvine, Bilai, Shrike and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Joesy, I think you need to take a clear-eyed look at the cat and work out if she looks unhappy. You not being around 24/7 may suit her down to the ground.

But don't beat yourself up about it. The fact that you are thinking about how your cat feels shows you are a good owner who cares about the cat. All of us can act on impulse.

Calvine, Bilai and Shrike like this.
  7. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Ali71 and moggie14 like this.
  8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I think that is totally unfair and unjustified :rolleyes: It sounds like OP is a regular person who works and has a social life. I think it's great she is getting out and about after being widowed, and unless the cat is showing signs of stress or being unhappy it sounds like a perfectly normal home life to me :)

Ali71, Citruspips, lorilu and 12 others like this.
  9. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I thought it was harsh as well

10. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

My post was in regards to her possibly giving it back to the rescue, not if she kept it. If someone adopts a rescue they should way up the pros and cons BEFORE they take it home. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ooh I can roll my eyes too :Hilarious

spotty cats likes this.
  11. Joesy

Joesy PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone, food for thought.

Calvine, lorilu and moggie14 like this.
  12. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

There are very few homes where someone is around 24/7 or in many cases even 12 hours / day

My cats spend the vast majority of time in 'their bedroom's' (they are separated as they fight sadly) BUT even when it's their 'out' time, they are quite often happy to be in there :)

Some mornings / evenings I will have company - other days neither of them will be that bothered!

Try to encourage her to play with you when you're there (if she doesn't already) and leave her some toys to amuse herself when you're not -

If she seems happy, I really wouldn't worry

Calvine, 3dogs2cats and moggie14 like this.
  13. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

I presume OP did do this but fear, uncertainty and second thoughts can effect any of us.

I agree that taking on a pet is a serious thing but I don't think it was fair to be so harsh.

She is obviously thinking about the cat and its needs.

AmsMam, Calvine, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  14. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Thats amusing if you people think that was harsh. . Rescues are already in a lot of trauma and the last thing they need is to be adopted without a second thought. No excuses for that kind of carelessness. Its all good and dandy if shes keeping it. My original comment still stands though... anyone else that feels the need to say how harsh it was, get a backbone.

spotty cats and LinznMilly like this.
  15. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

No wonder new members don't stick around, with comments like yours.
    @Joesy I hope things work out, give it time. She is much better at home with you than in a rescue x

Ali71, Calvine, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  16. IndigoElectron

IndigoElectron PetForums Junior

In response to the original question, we have just adopted a rescue cat and we both work (though I'm only part time). She has settled in really well and is thriving. She is always happy to see us but I don't think she's lonely.

Bilai, moggie14 and Shrike like this.
  17. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I realise that you're just back after a considerable break - however, there's really no need to be out & out nasty to people who are simply asking for advice ...

Calvine, lorilu, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  18. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Ah mine can go anywhere they like in the house but so far today except for food demands their highnesses have not left the bedroom. Today is apparently a duvet day, in fact most days are duvet days Every time I go and look at them I get the `human go away, do not disturb, we will let you know when WE want something` look! .

I agree with other posters it will depend on the personality of the cat, she may well enjoy quite time on her own.

Lilylass likes this.
  19. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I've realised I might not have worded my post very well :oops: as reading it back, it sounds like they're shut in their rooms most of the time - I was meaning that they choose to spend most of their time in there if that makes sense - sorry for any confusion

Mia sometimes doesn't come out of her room for 2 or 3 days!

3dogs2cats and moggie14 like this.
  20. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

@Joesy I think if we are honest, most of us have thought at some time or another 'am I doing the right thing, is my animal happy?' It just shows you are a thoughtful person who cares about the wellbeing of your new kitty and doesn't want to make her unhappy. Although none of us can say for sure as we aren't there, she may well be quite happy with the arrangement. She is probably getting more good food, more fuss and more affection with you than she was at the rescue so unless she is actually showing any signs of distress or boredom, she is probably quite happy she now has a home of her own. I work full time and am back really late 2 days per week. My kitties are both total snuggle bugs when I am there in the evenings. That said, I'm currently off work on leave and are the cats making the most of me? Nope, one is outside and the other is asleep upstairs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice